Oakland U. to join Horizon League on Tuesday?

ORUalum

Full article

Oakland University’s athletic department is inviting media members to Tuesday afternoon’s meeting of the Board of Trustees, presumably to announce that the school is leaving the Summit League and joining the Horizon League.

Officials from the school and league have declined to comment on the subject of the meeting, which will be followed by a news conference.

The Green Bay Press Gazette reported last month that OU will move to the Horizon, which already is home to Detroit Mercy.

Good move for Oakland.  They will resume the previous rivalry with Valpo and reduce travel. 

Probably not good for the Summit League, though.  With the current situation of conference realignments it may not have been possible to prevent losing some schools, but on the other hand, maybe it could have been prevented by considering a little more strongly the welfare of it's stronger members.  The Dakota schools are coming on strong, and I guess they will take (or have taken) over at the top.

Departures by Southern Utah, ORU, UMKC and now Oakland signaling the end for the Summit League as a viable D-1 conference, unless it can recruit some bigger schools from Mountain or Pacific time zones.

It's now just the XDSU's, and a bunch of bottom-feeders.

The XDSUs wanted to be the king-pins in their league. Just proof again.... be careful what you ask for!

I have to think, as awful as WIU, IUPUI, & IPFW are (in general), that those 3 have to be looking elsewhere.

The Southland has its' flaws, but I am sure glad we jumped, when we did...

Southland looks great now compared to whatever the Summit will be soon. I wonder if anticipation for something like this played a part in ORU's move, along with the other factors-- travel, recruiting, etc. The Summit's going to be a wasteland, and we would have been up a creek if we were still there.

But this is what the XDSU's and Summit wanted right? Hopefully they settle in for a long, long relationship with each other... And some provisional D-1 members... And maybe Chicago State, if they ask nicely. 

With this move the Horizon League upgraded their conference; MVC should be taking notes . . . 

The MVC decision is still baffling. The Summit League is a shell of its' former self. Since the MVC inexplicably passed on ORU, in retrospect, it was clearly a very good decision to move to the Southland. Mike Carter definitely had foresight in making that decision.

• Upvote 1

i think Douple might be looking for a job soon.  he has alienated every school not in the Dakotas, mishandled the UND situation, and has not properly prepared for losing 2 of his top schools in the last year.

Thank the Good Lord we got out of the Summit.  I am not in love with the Southland but it is light years ahead of where the Summit is/going.  With Oakland taking an exit, I am not sure who the Summit will attract but as someone else said, losing two of your top teams back-to-back really has to hurt.  I will never understand what the MVC did and if I am Wichita State I would be looking for the exit as soon as possible.  If I was Missouri State I too would be looking elsewhere as well.  Hopefully another opportunity presents itself for ORU to move up as well.

GO EAGLES!

• Upvote 1

Southland looks great now compared to whatever the Summit will be soon.

Don't know if i agree with this.  Summit rpi is much better than the southland... 

11 Conference USA 0.5165 0.5144 11 12   12 Horizon League 0.5007 0.4942 13 9   13 Western Athletic 0.4997 0.4958 12 10   14 Metro Atlantic Athletic 0.4927 0.4904 15 10   15 Sun Belt 0.4903 0.4922 14 11   16 Ohio Valley 0.4866 0.4874 16 12   17 Patriot League 0.4804 0.4731 22 8   18 Mid-American 0.4801 0.4826 17 12   19 Summit 0.4793 0.4788 18 9   20 Northeast 0.4758 0.4763 20 12   21 Big West 0.4747 0.4765 19 10   22 America East 0.4721 0.4688 24 9   23 Ivy League 0.4683 0.4722 23 8   24 Colonial Athletic 0.4669 0.4750 21 11   25 Southland 0.4627 0.4663 25 10   26 Atlantic Sun 0.4593 0.4630 26 10   27 Southern 0.4461 0.4520 27 12   28 Big Sky 0.4413 0.4470 28 11   29 Big South 0.4335 0.4406 30 12   30 Mid-Eastern 0.4335 0.4413 29 13

And that earned the Summit a total of one NCAA bid. I don't think "19th best conference" is any reason to hang around in a Dakotas-centric conference that is rapidly losing established members.

I have to agree with ManicAlum on this one, although it is true that we've taken a dip in RPI with the Southland, at least where basketball is concerned.  For baseball it's been a positive move.  I think one of the great detractions to the Summit at this point is the number of road trips required to the Dakotas in the middle of the winter - and that includes the perennial Winter-Wonderland Tournament in March.  Teams that can are leaving the Summit, like rats off a sinking ship.  The teams propping up the Summit League RPI are SDSU and NDSU - and they'll probably continue to lead the conference. 

If we were blowing out every team in the Southland I might feel differently, but since the best we could do this year was finish third, I think, all things considered, it's been a good move.  We certainly could have done no better in the Summit this year.

RPI this year and the past may favor the Summit.

RPI next year and years in the future, will likely favor the Southland.

Outside of SDSU and NDSU, who else does the Summit have that is likely to have a decent RPI, year in and year out?

ORU and Lamar both had atypical years in 2012-13.

Once those two programs get back on track, along with the rebirth going on at New Orleans, the Southland RPI will be equal to - or better than - the DakotaSummit League.

• 2 weeks later...

What will adding Abilene Christian & others do to the Southland RPI?