Jake Straughan (PG) - 2014; Colton, WA

ORUalum

"We are officially going to be recruiting jake"-Scott Sutton (Oral Roberts Head Coach) @straughan5 @JoshStraughan12  -- twitter

16 Year Old Junior Point Guard Jake Straughan, Colton High School, Colton Washington, 2012-13 Basketball Season.

There has to be some connection for us to be recruiting in Washington.

Another guard?....sounds like we will be playing a very short line up over the next few seasons..... :nerd:

3 good ones would be nice nice...4 might be a bit of a crowd....I guess You must have been chatting with Ken Holdman....... :wasntme:

yep, either getting them qualified or keeping them eligible the past few years has been an issue.

Is he also a football player?

according to this article he has picked basketball as the sport he wants to pursue in college...

Shooting hoops every day makes Jake the basketball star at Colton

(excerpt)

With influence from his dad, this hoops star used to favor football but when he hit junior high, his love shifted to the court.

"Ever since I was a little kid, I always loved the game but I was more of a football player when I was younger because my dad played football and that was his thing," said Jake. "But ever since high school and junior high, it was my favorite sport and it always will be."

Based solely on his stats, it looks as if Jake has chosen the right sport. Currently averaging 25.8 points per game, 7.9 assists per game and 5.8 rebounds per game, this guard has had to fill some big shoes after losing top players last year

"He's an excellent student," said Paine. "He's a great role model for little kids and he gets it done on and off the floor."

Hoping to play ball in college, he not only practices with the team, but stays hours after everyone has gone home to perfect his game, making Colton High School's Jake Straughan our P1FCU Prep Athlete of the Week.

• 3 weeks later...

Colton, Washington is 14 miles from Pullman,Washington where former ORU walk on, Ben Haynes grew up. Ben's dad pastors the Assembly of God Church in Pullman.  Think that might be the connection?

Sure thankful for the connection because this kid Jake Straughan is impressive. I watched his highlights. He scored almost 600 points this basketball season playing point guard. He can handle the ball, make the pass, and shoot. He also has a 3.9 gpa. He is the kind of player that we need to recruit.   

I googled his name and a bunch of info came up. He is a multi sport athlete. He has been Mr. Everything a receiver, quarterback, point guard, pitcher, infielder, etc. He has gotten all conference, all state, and prep athlete awards. 

I also saw that Jake caught a bunch of TD passes from his brother Josh Straughan a quarterback
His brother even went on to play QB as a true freshman for Stillman College
Jake is now the quarterback for his high school. Sure glad he decided to play basketball instead of football.

I like the recruit! One problem, if we can land this kid this would add to the already overstocked number of guards we already have. We need more post players!

ORU may have the best team under 6' 3" in the country.....  :?:

• Upvote 1

"ORU may have the best team under 6' 3" in the country..... "

I couldn't have said it any better!

(We) may have the best team under 6' 3" in the country.....  :?:

...says every team in the Division II Top Twenty poll.

The difference at the D-I level, however, is at least SOME size in the post:  on offense, on defense, in rebounding, etc.

I'm not asking for twin 7-footers - but if we want to be truly successful, we've simply got to have a couple of big dudes who can play, or at least some mid-size dudes who PLAY big...