It's about time!

Titansoccer

Sounds like a coaching change is in the works for the Men's soccer program...while I'd like to thank Steve Hayes for his many years of service at ORU, I believe a change in direction is positive and long overdue!

The difficult part about evaluating the success of coaches in non-revenue sports is that we don't know how many resources they were given for recruiting, etc.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

They availability of adequate financial resources for recruiting shouldn't have much of an impact in soccer...there are many ways to extend recruiting capabilities, one of which would be relying on alumni to be the eyes and ears for your program.  Having a coach that alienates alumni isn't a good thing.  I personally reached out to coach Hayes dozens of times with potential prospects that would be excellent assets to ORU...not once did I even receive an email or phone call back.  I know for a fact that I am not alone either...

I think we need a coach that has true passion for growing the sport at ORU and making an impact on the national level.  We don't need a coach who is focused on his own interests and financial windfall from camps, etc. 

Good job, Titan.....you are correct that soccer is a growing sport in this country and no reason why ORU shouldn't be able to compete well in the Southland especially with our international connections......this team has been substandard for years and it sounds like Coach Hayes wasn't doing much of a job promoting ORU soccer......let's hope that we hire a new guy with some spunk and ability to recruit some talent..... :nerd:

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
 and no reason why ORU shouldn't be able to compete well in the Southland especially with our international connections......

Men's soccer competes in the summit. 

Very true, Okie.....my bad....for some reason we are still playing soccer in the Summit instead of as an Independent....no soccer in the Southland...... :|

Maybe because the AD has a law degree from a school that doesn't even have a law program anymore.  Despite his salary being much larger than other conference schools, I don't think he makes the best moves for ORU athletics. 

Watch the quality of b'ball recruits decrease.  Who wants to play in a b'ball conference thats ranked in the middle of the thierd tier?  I guess thats why recruiting as of late has turned to jucco's. 

I suppose thats better than sending teams to the great white north.

MVC visisted three schools, loyola, uic, and valpo.  ORU never had a realistic chance.  ORU athletic budget is too small. 

We are what we are....a low mid major.....not much is ever gonna change....ORU had it's shot at a NCAA basketball title in 1974.....that was it......since then.....oh well......we will win some and lose some....and pretty much the same for the other sports.....we just don't have the money and talent to win.....and likely will never had the commitment we had in the 70's either..... :|

Wow!  Big time Debbie Downers on this thread.  Why would we want to be a soccer independent where you have no chance to win a conference tournament and therefore pretty much no chance to make the NCAA tournament?  Also, with the MVC, I don't think ORU's athletic budget was the issue.  I believe it was almost entirely their desire to gain a school in a big market.

I would disagree about Mike Carter as well.  He has a strong track record of success overseeing a somewhat underfunded athletic program.  Also, things are looking up for ORU, and now that the university is in the black and enrollment has been slowly but steadily increasing, the prospects for a larger monetary athletic commitment down the road are better than they have been in a long time.  Now is not the time to be crying in your (root) beer.

If you want some Debbie Downer topics, I would focus on the lack of experience that will be on next year's men's and women's basketball teams and the losing record facing the current baseball team.

I hear ya, Jason....TheEagleman isn't trying to be a stick in the mud....just facing facts....we are a small mid-major school in the Midwest with a very limited athletic budget.....decisions are made (probably correctly) based on our limited funds and we certainly can't compete with the big boys except when we get "lucky" with guys like Caleb Green, Jack Whitt, Kevi Luper, etc......I'm not whining about it....it's that we can't really expect to compete nationally like we did in the 70's in basketball or any sport....the college sports landscape has certainly changed a lot over the past 40 yrs....that goes without saying...money is vitally important and I guess ORU just doesn't have a lot of millionaire alumni....yeah, doesn't mean ORU can't compete favorably in the Summit in soccer, however.....not many powerhouses in this league....but getting back to our original topic.....hopefully a new coach in the sport will help us get some better players and that will be reflected with better play on the field....I have never met Mike Carter but from what TheEagleman has heard....the guy has done a lot for Oral Roberts University..... :nerd:

You cite a lack of funds as one of the problems from keeping the athletic programs successful and advancing to better conferences. (And yes, it did play a role in the mvc decision). My point is that if it’s a lack of funds, why does the AD make 2 times and sometimes 3 times as much as any other AD within the southland?  Sounds like another Oral Roberts.....

You mentioned that ORU doesn't have a lot of alumni with big pockets.  Maybe or maybe not, but thank God for the Green family, right? 

Back to topic, a new hire to men's soccer and ORU again hires from within. New head coach, Ryan Bush coach hired his assistant who was fired 3 months ago from OBU. OBU had to forfeit most of their season. To add to it, a transfer from OBU who signed in late spring withdrew his commitment because his former coach from OBU will be with ORU.

Don't mean to be a Debbie downer, but I'm calling it how I see it.

Just wondering, okie sooner, do you root for ORU in any way or consider yourself an ORU fan?

Just wondering, okie sooner, do you root for ORU in any way or consider yourself an ORU fan?

I do, thats why I get frustrated....

Just last year ORU completed a substantial upgrade to the soccer facilities. I can't remember the precise dollar amount spent, but I believe it was around half a million dollars.  That's a pretty significant investment in a non-revenue sport at the same time the university as a whole, including the athletic department, is making budget cuts to keep the university in the black.  I'm familiar with a bit of the "behind the scenes" on this, and I know that Mike Carter worked hard to get it done.

Regardless of whatever else is frustrating, let's at least give credit where credit is due.

As for the comment that ORU's athletic budget is too small for the MVC, if you believe that then Evansville ought to be kicked out of the league immediately as its budget is smaller than ours.  In all honest, so should Indiana State, Drake and Bradley as their overall budgets are not that much more than ours either.  If you look simply at basketball, out of the 10 teams currently in the MVC including Creighton, our men's basketball budget is greater than Indiana State's, Missouri State's, SIU's, Evansville's, Illinois State's, and Drake's.  So, our athletic budget is not that out of line with the MVC and in many instances is better than a lot of the current teams in the MVC.

Also, our budget and facilities are light years ahead of Loyola/Chicago.

Back to topic, a new hire to men's soccer and ORU again hires from within. New head coach, Ryan Bush coach hired his assistant who was fired 3 months ago from OBU. OBU had to forfeit most of their season. To add to it, a transfer from OBU who signed in late spring withdrew his commitment because his former coach from OBU will be with ORU.

Don't mean to be a Debbie downer, but I'm calling it how I see it.

MC may be a lot of things to a lot of people, but one thing he would NEVER tolerate is a cheater on his staff.  He simply will not risk the potential injury the athletic program might suffer with the university brass on "The Hill" if the NCAA ever comes to town again.  It's a fact he drills home to ALL coaches on the ORU staff.

Here's hoping the new coach will enjoy unprecedented success in his new role at ORU.

• 1 month later...

Hey....TheEagleman says.....Just win, baby!.... :wasntme: