PG Jabbar Singleton verbally commits to ORU

ORUalum

Brother Martin point guard Jabbar Singleton verbally commits to Oral Roberts

(excerpt)

Singleton was in Tulsa, Okla. on Friday where he delivered a verbal commitment to Oral Roberts coaches. He chose the Golden Eagles over UNO and also over football offers from Florida International and Grambling.

Singleton helped lead Brother Martin to a 29-7 mark and scored 21 points in the Crusaders' quarterfinals defeat to East Ascension. Singleton, who is 6-feet, was also named to the All-District 9-5A team in both basketball and football in his senior season.

"The visit was real cool," Singleton said. "I just felt like I was at home and I was just real comfortable. The coaching staff really welcomed me like I was one of their own."

Singleton will be able to officially sign his national letter of intent with Oral Roberts on April 17, the beginning of the regular signing period for the NCAA.

Another PG?....doesn't Dederick Lee play that position?....thought he was the stud recruit for next season?.....what's the story here?..... :nerd:

He runs a 4.5 40 yard dash.  He has great toughness, which is something our team needs desperately.  His coach tried to take him out of a game after 36 carries and he refused to come out because he wanted to finish what he started.  That sounds like the toughness we are looking for.  He only averages 11 points a game.  I haven't found his assists average yet.  Overall he sounds like a great potential addition and he comes out of the heart of Southland country, Louisiana. 

Can always use toughness. He can play PG along with Jackson. Billbury, Lee and Word will play at 2 (shooting) guard - their natural position. Now we need a 6'9" post player who can block shots and score down low.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like Coach Sutton may be installing the 3 guard offense next season...... :nerd:

Not necessarily. We still have Roundtree, Glover, Kaufman and Buford. But we can utilize a three guard line up if need be. It just makes grabbing rebounds a bit more difficult. I look for us to try to pick up a juco post player if possible.

Sure would be nice to have Shaquille Morris in the lineup next year. That was a tough loss to Wichita State.

Sounds great - for another guard.

Now, wake me up when we sign anyone over 6'6" and/or 175 lbs.

• Upvote 2

Our lack of size is concerning. 

I wonder if Singleton will remind us of Ken Holdman? My biggest hope for this guy is he comes in with an incredible work ethic that pushes everyone on the team.  I couldn't find any basketball clips, but here's our guy playing football. 

I like that there is no showboating after he scores a TD. Looks pretty quick to me.