Catholic 7 could be catalyst of another chain reaction (USA Today)

SOLO_Gold

Hey, whenever you've got the chance to add the school the Summit just got rid of you got to do it.

• Upvote 2

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ORUJason" data-cid="92548" data-time="1364788675"><p>

Certainly they will not choose UMKC, but even the thought of it feels like Tiger Woods realizing it is over with Elin Nordegren and stumbling into the local Village Inn on a bender to see what is available.</p></blockquote>

UMKC may not be as outlandish a choice as it appears on the surface.  For reasons unknown to me, a certain wealthy ethnic group in Kansas City has begun to support UMKC.  Many members of this group are Kansas University alumni, so it was shocking for me to see them at an ORU / UMKC game a couple of years ago.  When I questioned some of them about what appeared to me as an unfathomable change of alliance, their only response was that there were problems with KU's athletics administration.  This group has tremendous resources, and if a collective decision has been made to invest in UMKC athletics, the Roo's could become relevant overnight.

I do not have any inside information on this; my comments are based upon observations that do not make any outward sense.

Doesn't matter what kind of new support UMKC is getting MVC ADs/Presidents would still have to laugh. They add nothing. The only winner here is the Summit... Horizon and MVC both drop off Summit gets stronger.

That's completely ridiculous. The Valley placing so much priority on market size is either horribly misguided planning or desperation. Or both.

It doesnt really seem that theyre concerned with bringing in a member to try and replace Creighton, but trying to find a pawn to expand the reach of the conference as it stands. Doesn't really make sense unless they plan on having a team in the Final Four every year.

Reminds of the Dakota trolls asking why we dont have 10,000 fans a game with ORU being in a larger city.

Very interesting analysis. We appear to stack up very wel against these schools. Especially if you include any other sports - especially baseball.

I didn't take into account when we beat New Mexico or other wins like that. These other schools don't have any wins like that because they don't really play anybody. If they do it's a Northwestern.

Until I looked I didn't realize that Valpo only has one win against the power six in a decade. One.

agreed --- thanks Doc C.

here is a google map someone made of the MVC footprint with possible additions.  not sure how to embed the image....here is the LINK

the Chicago tv market is third largest in the country.  i think it is obvious that Valpo, UIC, or Loyola will be added,  by comparison, the KC market is 31st and Tulsa is 61st.  i bet this decision is being driven by tv sets for a better tv contract rather than by overall strength of athletic department.

When you look at that map, it is clear that Denver is no where near the MVC geographic footprint.  Tulsa and Nashville both fit nicely in the footprint.  Why not add both ORU and Belmont?