Catholic 7 could be catalyst of another chain reaction (USA Today)

SOLO_Gold

I would love it if we were added to the Mo. Valley, but I think it's probably too early to know if we're a favorite (if we'll ever know at all). You gotta think that these preliminary talks are due diligence by conference officials that are happening with all potential candidates. Keeping my fingers crossed that we'll make the cut & be able to support the move financially.

I am very excited that ORU is being proactive and making the MVC aware of our interest level. Dave Sittler has been pushing the idea of ORU to the MVC on the Sports Animal and interviewed Mike Carter yesterday about that subject. After the interview Dave and Pat Jones spoke very highly of Mike Carter. Today Sonny Golloway was interviewed on 1430 AM and spoke highly of Mike Carter and his time at ORU. Sonny said that he learned more from Mike Carter about how to become a better coach than anyone else he has worked for.

Dave said that he thinks out of the 4 schools being considered that ORU had the best facilities and a better geographic location than Denver and Belmont. He also insinuated that the main MVC concern about ORU was financial stability and that he hoped the MVC fully understood that ORU was now on very stable footing.

I agree about geography but am not sure about Belmont's facilities vs. ORU. I am familiar enough with Denver to know that the U of Denver is a complete afterthought in the city of Denver and would think that they would make the least sense for the MVC out of that group.

If ORU were to get in the MVC it would change the perception of ORU sports and the university in a significant way. ORU would immediately be able to schedule more home and home nonconference series with higher quality opponents and attendance and interest in the program would definitely increase. Recruiting would also improve for all sports across the board.

Who knows what will happen but it is amazing to at least be in the conversation and in the running.

Good post, Jason. Thanks for sharing about the interview. I agree that just being in the conversation is very exciting. The thing that keeps coming to mind is how a move to the MVC could attract a lot more of the neutral sports fans here in Tulsa to both baseball and basketball games. If you start winning, it only gets better.

This would be a dream come true. Being from Southern Indiana and growing up watching the Aces and playing baseball at Indiana State have always felt we were a good fit at ORU.  Go Mike Carter and those that are in the process and make it happen. :sun: 

Make the jump if the invite comes.  MVC's RPI of 9 is light years ahead of Southland with a 25.  Secondly, the Southland is still divided as to whether it wants to emphasize football or basketball.  No offense to the Southland, but I really do not see that league getting us anywhere unless we win the conference tourney every year to get its one bid to the Big Dance.  MVC is definitely a step up.  I also believe that given time, we will make more money from being in the MVC than in the Southland.  Finally, although all of this is still a pipedream, it would be incredible if the MVC landed not only us but Dayton and St. Louis as well.  What a basketball powerhouse conference that would be.

• Upvote 1

A couple of things...

If we do go to the MVC, be prepared to go from a perennial conference title contender, to an 'also ran', for a few years in most sports.

I know the athletic department understands the value of such a move. My hope is that the university administration understands it. One example...over the past week FGCU has seen a near 700% spike in admission requests, after their Sweet 16 run.

In life, you often must spend money to make money. This is so true in regards to college athletics. A membership and SUCCESSFUL venture into the MVC would do WONDERS for the ENTIRE university!

Success has also propelled admissions at George Mason, Butler, VCU, Gonzaga, etc. Athletics can serve as a focal point for the university - just like Oral Roberts envisioned.

I wondered about the administration as well but I doubt the athletic department would be openly pursuing this if the administration wasn't on board. I assumed that when ORU did not previously appear to be pursuing the MVC it was probably because of the administration, so I have taken this turn of events as probably reflecting a change of heart within the administration. Of course that is only conjecture on my part.

Spot on Voice.  We will no longer be a big fish in a small pond.  However, I believe that after a period of adjustment we will not only compete but excel.  Also, the more exposure we get from being in the MVC will help in many ways.  FGCU has had an explosion in app requests.  I know that Ohio has had a significant upturn in the application requests especially after their Sweet 16 run last year.  Finally, it is hard to put an exact dollar figure on what an institution gets for being on major national television but I can guarantee you that it is worth serious money to get all of that "free" advertising by being in the national limelight.  Oral understood that.

One other intangible is the amount the MVC receives for having its teams (plural) in the Big Dance and also making a decent run in that tourney.  As I stated previously, I believe Ohio got $1MM for its first game last year in the Big Dance and something like $1.5 MM for each game thereafter.  Of course some of that went to the MAC who "shared" the revenue with the other league teams.  My point being, the MVC has to be making more off of the NCAA tourney then the Southland.

i'm not going to get my hopes up.  this could be nothing more than due dilligence by the commish in feeling out interest and preparing a number of schools to present to his university presidents.

posters at MVCfans make some valid points why liberal higher ed types would not want ORU. LGBTQ is seen as the civil rights movement of our day. look no further than the national headlines.  in the future, ORU's biblical stance on this issue will be seen as hateful and akin to southern schools not admiting minority students.

i'm not going to get my hopes up.  this could be nothing more than due dilligence by the commish in feeling out interest and preparing a number of schools to present to his university presidents.

posters at MVCfans make some valid points why liberal higher ed types would not want ORU. LGBTQ is seen as the civil rights movement of our day. look no further than the national headlines.  in the future, ORU's biblical stance on this issue will be seen as hateful and akin to southern schools not admiting minority students.

This.

Would issues like this also eliminate schools like Belmont and St. Louis?

I don't think these type of issues are a big deal in the short term. Long term is a very different story with 1st ammendment implications... Hope you weren't using those! But the MVC can't afford to be selective based on ideological reasons alone. They are a bunch of schools in very small markets. They need access to places people actually live.

Notre Dame, BYU, most closely religious affilated institutions of higher education. Funny how its not quite the dealbreaker if you're a school with a giant fanbase and flush with cash |(

I don't know why ORU just doesn't remove the language from the Honor Code and be done with it. Outlawing such things and pretending they dont exist inside ORU's bubble doesnt fly anymore. I think that false reality should be evident to anyone associated with ORU by now.

On another thread, it would be interesting to discuss the purpose of athletics specifically at ORU. This forum attracts those with more of an interest in sports and I suspect the discussion would be more heavily weighted toward athletics in general than the founding mission of the University.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ManiacAlum" data-cid="92458" data-time="1364423742"><p>

I don't know why ORU just doesn't remove the language from the Honor Code and be done with it. Outlawing such things and pretending they dont exist inside ORU's bubble doesnt fly anymore. I think that false reality should be evident to anyone associated with ORU by now.</p></blockquote>

So you're saying ORU should remove lifestyle guidelines because they're happening anyway? Isn't that kind of like saying we should remove laws on rape and murder because they're happening anyway?

Maybe I misread what you're saying.

The Honor Code makes ORU unique. It helps to attract the type of students that fit with the vision of the university. If you lose it, then ORU will become, over time, just like any other private university. Having successful athletics is a part of fulfilling the vision of the university. You don't want to adjust the core beliefs of the university to potentially improve the athletic situation, because then you have the cart before the horse.

• Upvote 2