Catholic 7 could be catalyst of another chain reaction (USA Today)

SOLO_Gold

It would be great to add softball. But ORU is not a large christian school like Liberty or Baylor. Staying D1 will be the issue for ORU not adding sports.

Couldn't agree more. 

After reading everyone's inout on this topic, I am even MORE convinced ORU will never be a member of the Missouri Valley Conference, at least not any "Valley" closely resembling the current group of schools.

Interesting topic. I have no insider knowlege on this topic, but I can't believe that women's softball is going to be a major determining factor in the next MVC member. It is almost certainly going to be driven by "revenue" sports, which definitely include men's basketball, and could possibly include baseball and women's basketball. The MVC may well not consider us a good fit, but I would be shocked if it is the lack of softball that keeps us out.

Creighton will not be waiting a year to move...

Creighton to accept Big East invitation

(excerpt)

Creighton is set to make the Big move.

Creighton University plans to accept an offer to join the Big East Conference, The World-Herald has learned.

Other media sources, including the Chicago Tribune, also were reporting that Creighton's entry into the 10-team league was imminent. The Tribune reported that Creighton will join the league for the 2013-14 school year, the move becoming official by Wednesday or Thursday.

Let the domino games begin....

Softball would be a deal breaker for ORU, if invited.  Not that we wouldn't welcome softball as another women's sport, but just from the shear economics it would have on the athletic programs.  If women's softball could be leveraged by the other sports ORU offers - and ORU were to be invited - I'm sure ORU would take a strong look at the Conference.

I don't see Denver being a player in the MVC due to the high travel costs and their current commitment to the Summit League (which could be broken, of course).  Belmont would be an attractive media market for the MVC, but don't know how the other institutions would view traveling that far out of the current curcuit of schools, as well as Belmont's commitment to other Tier I/Tier II sports.  I'm sure ORU would be attractive to Missouri State and Wichita State, but don't know if a Drake, UNI or others would see the benefits of coming to Tulsa as much.

It will provide some interesting off-season discussions during a slow board time.

Get used to the Southland....ORU can't afford the MVC....... :nerd:

let the dominos fall is correct, we'll see how proactive the MVC is with adding schools. Good luck ORU, I still don't think softball is a deal breaker

let the dominos fall is correct, we'll see how proactive the MVC is with adding schools. Good luck ORU, I still don't think softball is a deal breaker

I would agree that softball isn't a deal breaker if it comes in the form of a benefactor's generosity.  Under the school's current budgetary climate, I can't believe that more money will be designated for athletics to join another conference.

The MVC minus Creighton isn't that great. Exactly what do they offer? If anybody saw the MVC championship it was %90 Creighton fans. This is the end of a multiple-bid Valley. Plus it's extremely small market.

I still think ORU is a long shot with Belmont being the favorite.

Here is the spending for 2011 according to a sports writer in Indiana.  The private schools tend to spend a bit more, probably because of the cost of a scholarship is higher than a state school, but ORU is close to what other schools spend.

@TribStarTodd --- I'm Todd Golden, sports editor and Indiana State beat writer for the Terre Haute Tribune-Star.

"Of the schools I've seen mentioned for MVC expansion, Denver spends the most on hoops ($2.4 million) and athletics overall ($24.6 million).

Milwaukee spends $2.3 million on hoops and $11.3 million on athletics. ORU is $2.3 million hoops, $10.9 million athletics.

Murray State spends the least on hoops of potential candidates ... $1.5 million, but that's $100K more than Indiana State spends.

If you consider the Dakota schools MVC candidates, South Dakota State spends $756K on hoops. NDSU is at $1 million

All of the numbers I quoted are from 2011 via http://BBstate.com .

Belmont: $1.8 million on hoops, $9.4 million overall, but just $37K on recruiting. Valpo: $1.6 million hoops, $11.4 mil."

Creighton’s departure will leave the Missouri Valley Conference with 9 teams. It is believed that Commissioner Doug Elgin has given the remaining university presidents information on potential targets to replace Creighton. Among those being considered: Belmont, Oral Roberts, Valparaiso, Loyola-Chicago, Murray State, Nebraska-Omaha, Missouri-Kansas City and the universities in North and South Dakota.

http://www.mvcfans.com/wp/2013/03/19/xavier-butler-creighton-set-to-join-big-east/

Depends. Some folks only want to add one program, while other believe the Valley needs to add 3 (2 private, 1 public) to replace CU.

So likely 1 but maybe 3.

Add ORU, Belmont, and Valpo. That would certainly add some interesting and competitive teams to the MVC. Of course it would also upset the private/public balance so it probably wouldn't happen. I wonder if the travel would be difficult for Belmont and if they would be interested in making that move.

Looks like it is official. Creighton, Xavier and Butler are moving to the (new) Big East.

http://news.yahoo.com/butler-creighton-xavier-join-big-east-152337997--spt.html

With football driving so much of the conference re-alignment process, does it make sense for ORU to be in a basketball-centric conference? (if the offer was made) How much of a factor would that be?

I recently came across an article that explained that the MVC's annual revenue sharing amounted to between $300K - $350K per team per year.  Not much for some D-I conferences in today's world.  Also, the exit fee from the Mo Valley is 1/2 of the previous year's revenue sharing from the league if you give at least a12- 24 month notice.  Otherwise, apparently it is everything you received in revenue for the previous year if less than 12 months.  Also, the article stated that the MVC is looking to remain a 10 member league, and is looking for a "basketball only" school first.  ORU certainly fits that criteria. 

On a similar note, I wonder what the Southland or even the MVC does with the income one of its members receives for participating in post season play.  Last year when Ohio went to the Sweet 16, I think they received somewhere between $1MM and $1.5MM per game.  Of course the MAC required that some of that money went to the MAC which was pooled with revenue from other member schools for post season play including football and then split with its members under the form of revenue sharing.  This year with 7 MAC schools in bowl games in football that amounted to approximately $32MM minus team expenses.  My point being that since the MVC has multiple teams in the NCAA "Big Dance", what does it do with that money.  In the end, one of the benefits of belonging to a better conference is that there is more money shared within the league between the teams.  When you hit the "Big 6", you really hit the lottery.  As I stated previously, WVU was paid something like $10MM just for joining the Big XII.  I can not help but think that belonging to the MVC would in and of itself generate a better income stream for ORU then the Southland, not only through revenue sharing but also with increased ticket sales as well as hopefully better TV income.  Of course, I could be wrong.

If the MVC got ORU, Dayton and St. Louis, what a basketball conference that would become.  I hope and also believe that ORU will get an invite and will act on the same.  IMHO the MVC is head and shoulders above the Southland.

GO EAGLES!

• Upvote 1