Where's Coach Duke???

theeagleman5

Maybe we shouldn't rip our men's and women's basketball teams when you start looking at tennis....TheEagleman couldn't help but notice that our tennis teams are struggling this year.....the men are 4-29 in matches so far while the ladies are 3-18......All I can say is.....BRING BACK BERNIS!!!..... :wasntme:

There are others on this board who have a better understanding of this and may be able to shed more light on it, but my understanding is that tennis, like soccer, usually offers partial scholarships rather than full scholarships, so since ORU is a private university without state funding, there are some significant recruiting challenges. Nonetheless, it is disappointing to not at least be somewhat competitive within the conference.

I am sure that there is a long term plan to improve the tennis facilities and that would certainly give the coaches more to work with.

TheEagleman recalls that ORU had a pretty good tennis team with several international players back in the 70's......Wonder if Bjorn Borg, Andre Agassi and John McEnroe have used up their eligibility?..... :nerd:

"Each team has only a limited number of tennis scholarships and at the men’s level there are 4.5 scholarships for NCAA DI and DII programs, 5 per team NAIA and up to 9 for NJCAA schools. Women’s programs have more scholarships with 8 per team NCAA DI, 6 per team NCAA DII, 5 at NAIA schools and 9 per team at the NJCAA level."

the men's roster has 7 players and the women's has 8

i'm betting like women's basketball, they don't use all the available scholarships to save money.  they could have also had their recruiting budget cut.

if they are getting these results while using all available scholarships...ouch.

to Eagleman's point, i think Coach Duke had a pipeline to Europe and South Africa.

Well if they can only use 4.5 scholarships to split between 7 or 8 players then apparently it is a level playing field for all teams. Nonetheless that can work against most private schools then since the players have to pay more $ to make up the difference at a private school than at a state school.