Southland Scheduling 2013-14

TrueBlue82

With additional members next year, but two of the newcomers (Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word) still in the "Division 1 transition" status (whereby games against these schools will not count as D1 games), the Southland scheduling will take some interesting twists.  As a result, the luck of the random draw could have a distinct impact on the final standings.  As an example, if this system had been in place this year, any team that would only have to play ORU, SFA, and NWSt once would be at an advantage - and if any team drew the "trifecta" (only having to play one game against ALL three of these teams), it would make a significant difference.  I'm sure the release of the schedules next year will have "conspiracy theory" written all over it!

(from the Southland website)

In men’s and women’s basketball, where the full membership competes, the Division I teams will play 18 conference games in 2013-14: two games home-and-away against five Division I members, single games home-or-away against the other six Division teams, and single games home-or-away against Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word. ACU and UIW, in addition to playing each Division I member once, will play each other twice for a 14-game slate in 2013-14.

In baseball, the 12 Division I members will play 30 total conference games in 2014, including nine three-game series against other Division I programs, and a single three-games series against ACU or UIW, but not both. The Division I members will randomly miss two other Division I league opponents during the regular season. ACU and UIW will play six three-game series against Division I members, and will play home-and-away series versus one another for a 24-game league schedule in 2014.

In all applicable sports, once the two transitioning members begin to fully qualify as Division I scheduling opponents in 2014-15, they will be fully integrated into league schedules.

making the divisions east/west would make the most sense with division champs getting a bye or two in the league tournament

East

UCA

N'western State

Nicholls

SE LA

McNeese

New Orleans

West

SFA

ORU

Lamar

A&M-CC