An open letter to Mark Acres

Sterns78

This is one game we wish we could have driven up from Dallas to watch, but we are thankful for ESPN3's and as always, Geoff's coverage of our games.

Mark, thank you for your four years at ORU. You provided so many memories both in and outside the Mabee Center. We always knew that with you and your brother Jeff playing, we would be competitive, and our record showed it. You were a workman-warrior who battled every game and didn't give up.

I remember taking pride in the fact that you outplayed every big-name center you faced, Michael Cage of San Diego State, Joe Kleine of Arkansas and Keith Lee of Memphis, for example, all NBA players who though surrounded by a better cast, could not out-work or out-perform you.

One of my favorite memories was your father's first game as head coach of ORU. It was a difficult challenge with the loss of beloved Coach Ken Hayes coupled with the University of Kansas coming to town. You led us to victory and brought a measure of revenge for our team's overtime loss to KU in the Elite Eight in 1974.

Your father lost his voice that night and I learned that this would be a routine thing with him. He left his heart on the floor, and so did you.

Thank you for choosing ORU, for four years of excellence here, and for all those entertaining nights at the Mabee Center, helping make our years at ORU to be filled with life-long memories.

• Upvote 3

Back in the early-mid 80s ORU basketball was a big deal around Tulsa and Mark Acres was pretty much a celebrity around town.  

Mark definitely deserves to have his jersey retired.  I wish his dad had lived to be able to see it.  Mark and Jeff were a great 1-2 punch and would kick it out occasionally to Sam Potter for a jump shot which he usually buried in the net.  Thanks for the tribute Sterns 78 - it is well written and well deserved. 

TheEagleman never got to see Acres play at ORU...but he is certainly one of the top 5 players ever to put on the blue and white.....it's good to see #42 retired although sad to think that Lionel Worrell also wore that number..... |( ......Congrats to Mark and his family..... :clap:

It was a very special ceremony, and a very special moment for ORU basketball.  Too bad there weren't more fans there to witness it and revel in it . . .

Mark seemed genuinely touched by the honor, and was very positive about his memories at ORU.  His only regret, he said, was that his dad wasn't with him to experience it as well.

I will forever regret that I didn't take my chunk of Mabee Center court along for his signature.

• Upvote 1

I will forever regret that I didn't take my chunk of Mabee Center court along for his signature.

You could bring it tonight for hall of fame.  They said Mark is staying for that.

You could bring it tonight for hall of fame.  They said Mark is staying for that.

EXCELLENT!!!  I'll be doing just that!  BTW, do you know who is going to be inducted?