Oral Roberts b-day #57 - 1975

tmh8286

This video is of a surprise birthday party for Oral on January 23, 1975. MAN! I just turned 57 recently! This video kind of makes an accordion of my life's time line!

Any of your old-timers recognize that room? I can't place it.

Thanks, dbl78!  I wondered - didn't look like Zopelt, didn't really look like the caf - I thought it might have been in the classroom building.  Thanks for the info.

Hey man, have you been coming down to the games this year?  I don't think I've seen you this season.

Thank you for posting the great video!  That is how I always want to remember OR and Evelyn. Great to see Lee Braxton, one of my all time favorite people.  It reminds me of the dream we all had when we came to ORU before the buildings and accredidation of rising to be the ND or BYU for evangelicals.  The vision of competing with the big boys in sports.  I still have that vision and pray we keep moving forward.

At this time of "change" and "transition" at ORU, It's especially nostalgic to see this video or Oral and Evelyn in their prime.  Over the last 15 or so years, you run across a lot of ORU folks -- students and staff -- who never met or saw Oral.  He was a mysterious -- almost mythical person to many.   But in those first years of the University he was visible, and involved.  Accessible and warm.  But always charasmatic and visionary ... and a leader.  His vision for the athletic programs were aggressive but we made a lot of progress towards achieving his goals and giving credibility to this young university that a lot of people thought was a "Bible College" ... Not the Academic Liberal Arts University that he had guided it to become.    He was truly a unique individual and a dynamic leader.  Hopefully the "new guard" will have his same vision for academic exdellence and a premier national athletic program...

• Upvote 1

Great comments, EaglesFan.....as a student in the 70's, TheEagleman had many interactions with OR and always found the man to be approachable and personable....and yes, he loved his sports...especially basketball...he wanted to win on the court almost as much as spreading the Gospel....his passion was surely evident in chapels and at all the games....most of us students loved and respected the man....he was a true leader......there will never be another like him at ORU.... :nerd:

I spoke with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law about this video this weekend (they're staying with us for homecoming) and both remembered being at that birthday party - my brother-in-law as a senior and my sister-in-law as a freshman.

I was attracted to ORU more because of their dental school at a Christian university than I was due to any particular interest in Oral Roberts himself. But I found out soon after arriving that Oral was a charming, charasmatic leader, and I always enjoyed seeing him around, even though I never met him personally.

Seeing him at his prime brings back really great memories, even though I didn't arrive on campus until several years after this was made.