2 schools defecting from the Mo Valley

ORUalum

From Bradley's beat writer:

I'm hearing that announcements on Creighton and Evansville leaving Valley are coming today.

Creighton going to the Catholic conference, Evansville to the Horizon.

Valpo, UW-Milwaukee, Loyola, UIC, Oral Roberts among candidates to replace them in the MVC.

Update: Evansville denies report...LINK

when will re-alignment end?  i still doubt that ORU would get an invite from the Missouri Valley, but at least they are in the conversation.

Interesting . . . would ORU be interested in bailing on the Southland so soon?  I'm guessing we would, but not sure.  Need the input of some of our conference allignment experts (OT, ORUJason, ORUTerry, ORUvoice, et al.) to help us understand this interesting development . . .

And Alum, I think it would be appropriate to add this to the discussion on the basketball forum, because it would definitely have a huge impact on the basketball program.

Maybe ORU should inquire about joining the Big East....TheEagleman hears that as many as seven basketball schools (including Villanova, Georgetown, Marquette, etc) might be bailing from the once powerful conference...... :nerd:

tmh feel free to move this thread if you think it's warrented.  i almost posted it on the basketball board, but was not sure.  it may need a new title also.  i don't know how to move topics or rename...thanks.

i also saw on the MVCFans board that there is a rumor that WSU is in talks with the Mountain West...LINK

Regardless of the final result, it's pretty fantastic to see so many MVC fans hold ORU in such high regard. Things are moving in the right direction, folks.

Booher: Valley needs Elgin to again be a driving force for conference -- Springfield News-Leader

(excerpt)

Now hopefully Elgin is working the phones again, this time to line up a potential replacement. My hope is the Valley makes an aggressive push for Oral Roberts out of Tulsa.

Coached by Eddie Sutton’s son, Scott. A basketball school through and through. And yet in a new conference, the Southland, that is often a one-bid (and not a true basketball) league. Plus, Oral Roberts fits the Valley’s geographic footprint, stationed just down the road on I-44.

There could be some thought, hopefully not by Missouri State fans, to find someone else not so tough. Best to recruit a weak link that would grease the wheels for an easier path to the NCAA Tournament, or so the thinking could go.

But that’s weak. The Valley is better than picking low-hanging fruit. It’s a tough-as-nails, grind-it-out-defense, in-the-dead-of-winter basketball league.

Wow....Southland, we hardly knew ye....... :nerd:

If the MVC comes calling we HAVE to go. But, we could be in for some rough seasons, especially early on. That's a BIG step up in competition.

It's my thought that if we ever want to take a big step up as a program we probably need 2 things to happen:

1. ORU needs to come into line with modern religious institutions (such as Liberty) in terms of some their rules. (This is realistic and I expect it to happen).

2. We need to move up to a conference that loves college basketball. The Valley would be a great opportunity and frankly I don't care about the short term struggle. How long has it been since we've tasted the tourney anyway?

Beer in the dorms and a 10-19 basketball team for several years....what the heck....sounds great to TheEagleman!...... ;-)

What do you mean by coming in line with modern religious institutions?  If you suggest making changes to the core values of the university's honor code in order to improve our athletic status I think you have the cart before the horse.

It's not. I mean the university needs to remain financially viable after the Greens step away; part of that solution should involve reevaluating which rules (which are not "core values") are still appropriate. The solutions that will lead to continue growth of the university will naturally lead to success in other areas---we need to pursue holistic solutions that will enhance our ability to fulfill the original mission of the university.

PS: when I said modern religious institutions, I listed Liberty U in parenthesis as an example of a still very conservative university that has seen tremendous growth while maintaining their "core values".

• 1 year later...

There's a lot of discussion regarding Missouri State University leaving for the Sun Belt.  Its football driven.  This will open the door for ORU as they are great fit. 

Either way, we should have Missouri State as well as Wichita State and Tulsa on our schedules for both basketball and baseball every year.  As for our getting an invite to the Mo Valley, it would be nice and we would also be a logical geographic fit to replace Missouri State. 

Sorry guys, I forgot that TU does not have baseball.  However, they should always be on our schedule for basketball.