ESPN BracketBuster is Ending

ORUalum

LINK

(excerpt)

An ESPN spokesperson issued this statement late Monday night about the decision to pull out of the event:

"BracketBusters has been a unique event for 11 years, producing memorable games and moments while generating national exposure for the participating schools and conferences," the statement read. "Given the evolving college landscape, we felt the event in its present form has run its course. We'll continue to work with our conference partners to develop new, creative events to further grow the sport. Our goal is to maintain the BracketBusters brand in some fashion in the future."

In April, the Wichita Eagle quoted Missouri Valley Conference commissioner Doug Elgin saying the end was near for the event after it was revealed the Colonial Athletic Association would no longer participate. The CAA, which lost member VCU in the spring, also had a deal with the NBC Sports Network and not with ESPN. That meant George Mason, a mainstay in the event, was no longer participating.

I guess too many of the top-tier finally started leaving or will be leaving participating conferences, and others just refused to participate.

It would have been nice if they would have just kept the televised schedule to benefit mid-majors having good years. I believe we got TV games in '07, '08 and '12?

That's a shame....TheEagleman always enjoyed a weekend of pure mid-major basketball...i mean, really......how much Duke, UNC, Kansas, Georgetown, Syracuse, etc. should we be forced to absorb?....... |(