Ken Trickey

Old Titan

Ken Trickey's death was #1 trending item on yahoo tonight. When I first saw it I thought it had to be someone else.

Just that moment this evening shows how widespead ORU, Oral Roberts, Ken Trickey and those names are in this society.

Someday we may find out we were all a part of history.

• Upvote 1

great idea SOLO_Gold. ORU definately needs more athletic traditions on campus.

i've thought they should put blue filters on the flood lights that light up the prayer tower after victories ala Baylor with the tower that they light up green.

I love this idea too. Seems like a no brainer. I believe the University of Texas lights their tower orange after a UT win. It would be great for the students to get used to seeing a blue glowing prayer tower after the Golden Eagles win.

Is it a coincidence that Coach Trickey died on the 40th anniversary (12/4/72) of the inaugural ORU game at Mabee Center???....a young freshman Eagleman was in attendence for the Top 20 battle between ORU and Wisconsin.....the then Titans hammered the Badgers by 90-76 in front of a packed house as I recall..... :nerd:

• Upvote 1

Is it a coincidence that Coach Trickey died on the 40th anniversary (12/4/72) of the inaugural ORU game at Mabee Center???....a young freshman Eagleman was in attendence for the Top 20 battle between ORU and Wisconsin.....the then Titans hammered the Badgers by 90-76 in front of a packed house as I recall..... :nerd:

That gave me chills. I'll never step in Mabee without thinking of Ken Trickey, Bob Brooks, Lake Kelley, Ken Hayes & Scott Sutton. We are truly blessed!

I have to wonder about how God works things out sometimes.........Ken Trickey passes on exactly 40 years to the day of Game 1 at Mabee Center where he coached that nationally ranked ORU team?......wow.....I hope that the University will honor him with a moment of silence at the TU game on Dec. 22...... :up:

• Upvote 2

I read this in The Tennessean and thought some of you would enjoy reading about his life.

TRICKEY, SR., Ken -Passed away peacefully at his home in Tulsa on Tuesday, December 4, 2012. Ken was born in 1933 in Cape Girardeau, MO. He grew up and graduated from high school in Cairo, IL. He played basketball at Middle Tennessee State College, where he was an Ohio Valley All-Conference player for three years, and is still one of the top ten scorers for Middle Tennessee, and was elected to the university's sports Hall of Fame. Ken served in the United States Army Armored Division at Fort Knox, KY and was honorably discharged as a First Lieutenant in 1958. Ken served as men's high school basketball coach at Tullahoma, TN and Cairo High School before returning to Middle Tennessee to be the Assistant Men's Basketball Coach and Head Baseball Coach. In 1964, he was promoted to Head Basketball Coach, where he recruited the first African American athletes to play basketball at Middle Tennessee during the height of the Civil rights movement in the south. He believed sincerely that everyone had a right to be able to participate at any school in any sport. In 1969, Ken was hired by Oral Roberts to coach the ORU Basketball team. He took ORU to the NCAA Final Eight as an independent in 1974. His ORU teams during that time also led the nation in scoring and made two NIT appearances in New York City. Upon leaving ORU in 1974, Ken coached at Colorado State University, Iowa State University, Claremore Junior College, Oklahoma City University, and Oklahoma Junior College before returning to ORU where he finished his coaching career in 1993. During the early 2000's, Ken became a supervisor/evaluator of officials for the Big 12 Conference until 2006. In 2010, Ken was inducted into the Oral Roberts University Sports Hall of Fame. Upon his retirement, Ken enjoyed spending time with his family and loved taking care of rescue dogs. Ken was preceded in death by his father, Emmett Franklin Trickey; his mother, Evangeline Trickey; his sister, Betty Harrington Burns. Ken is survived by his wife, Judy Wyatt Trickey of the home; son, Ken Trickey, Jr. and wife Pam Trickey of Evansville, IN; granddaughters, Caytlyn Trickey and Paige Trickey of Evansville, IN; daughter, Kay Herring and husband, Jeff of Nashville, TN; grandson, Jordan and granddaughters, Kendal and Kelsey Kay Herring of Nashville. Ken's first wife, Peggye Enlow of Tulsa has remained a close friend throughout the years of Ken and Judy's. Anyone who knew Ken, knew of his love for his dogs. He leaves Jake Boy, Lili Marlene, Gibbi Two Sox, Paco and Sergio. Celebration of Ken's life is pending. Please no flowers. Contributions in his honor can be made to the Humane Society or your local animal shelter.

Published in The Tennessean on December 6, 2012

That's a really nice obit, Joleen. Thanks for posting.

Newspapers have gotten away from doing that kind of rememberance, for the most part; they're such wonderful reminders of the lives of those that have departed, especially for later generations. I'm glad to see Ken Trickey remembered in such a way.

met ken trickey at mid con tourney nice guy! and the inventor of run and gun bball NOT unlv! prayers to family ORU also lost Dick Acres in the last year