TU Athletic Director Suspended in Gambling Probe

Old Titan

University of Tulsa athletic director Ross Parmley has been indefinitely suspended by the school after being implicated by the FBI in an organized gambling probe, according to a report today in The Oklahoman newspaper:

TU Athletic Director "Admitted Gambler", FBI Says (NEWSOK.com)

This is a HUGE deal - he will be summarily fired, to avoid NCAA repercussions.

The question will then become: "Who else at TU knew Parmley had a bookie, but looked the other way?"

Simply put, Parmley may not be the only guy at TU to lose his job in this deal - it could become a pandemic.

Pretty crazy year for the University of Tulsa. First TU fired their new President after only 73 days and now it looks they'll have to fire their new AD too.

They convinced Upham to come back... fat chance they convince Bubba to do the same.

He probably had SMU plus the points last Saturday..... :wasntme:

• Upvote 1

Pretty crazy year for the University of Tulsa. First TU fired their new President after only 73 days and now it looks they'll have to fire their new AD too.

They convinced Upham to come back... fat chance they convince Bubba to do the same.

Bubba may come back to Tulsa after the whoopin' UNC is getting against IU tonight. Hoosiers are back with a vengence. I wonder how many cell phone calls they had to make to recruit this class.... :-D

I wonder how they will handle the Ross Parmley radio show over the next few weeks. Maybe change it to the Kevan Buck show? Quite the revolving door at this point. Can't believe someone in his position would use a bookie. That looks really bad.

what a crazy story. it sounds like he did not have enough sense to quit betting when he moved from HS athletics to college. i'm not sure if TU will be sanctioned if he acted alone and just has a gambling addiction.

this story could get some national run with added twist of the murder of the bookie's wife still being unsolved. more bad press for TU in the next few days.

12/4/12

A message from President Steadman Upham to The University of Tulsa Community

Dear Friends,

Today, I terminated the employment of TU Athletic Director Ross Parmley. His departure from the university is effective immediately.

I am saddened to make this announcement for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that I considered Ross a true professional in intercollegiate athletics.

In October of 2011, Ross shared with me that he was cooperating in an FBI investigation pertaining to a gambling case in Oklahoma City. At that time, Ross told me that his involvement was solely due to a family connection to the person being investigated. For obvious reasons, I specifically asked Ross if he had ever gambled on college or professional sports. He told me that friendly wagers during personal golf games constituted the extent of his betting activities. I took Ross at his word, as I had no reason to believe there had been any acts of impropriety or non-compliance.

At that time he was still interim athletic director at The University of Tulsa. Approximately three months later, in January of 2012, based on a record of exemplary service of more than six years, Ross was promoted to the position of Athletic Director.

Ross Parmley is keenly aware of NCAA regulations regarding compliance issues. Since being hired by TU in 2005, Ross has annually signed an official document certifying that he had no knowledge of any NCAA violations involving The University of Tulsa.

On Tuesday, November 27, while I was out of the country, Ross admitted he had not been truthful in our 2011 conversation. He was immediately put on administrative leave and, at my direction, TU notified the NCAA. We subsequently launched our own internal investigation.

TU is cooperating fully with officials from the NCAA to comprehensively investigate this matter and bring it to a fair and proper conclusion. This a difficult time for TU and we realize that our reputation is at stake. We are determined to uncover the whole truth in every aspect of this case.

Peggy and I are currently in South America on a multi-country trip that had been planned long before my return to the Presidency in October. We are scheduled to return at the end of the month. In the interim, I will remain in close communication with senior university administrators, the members of the TU Board of Trustees and officials from the NCAA in regard to this matter.

The greatest professional privilege I have ever been given has been to serve as President of The University of Tulsa. I will continue to strive toward ever-greater moments for the students, faculty, staff and alumni of this exceptional institution of higher education. Thank you for your continued commitment to our future.

Sincerely,

Steadman Upham

President