Are we entering the Dark Ages of ORU Basketball?

lamb740

Wow!...Sounds like Alum has hit on some very serious issues....TheEagleman isn't around campus but I hit the "like" button on the above post......I am no prude but if an ORU player took a selfie at a strip club....well, that young man needs to go.....not necessarily for attending the strip club (boys will be boys) but for the stupidity and the poor reflection it brings on the University.....the past two baseball and basketball seasons in the Southland have been substandard and most of our other sports (except track and field) lose more than they win.....something has to change.....Alum has raised a lot of questions above....can't wait to see everybody else's $.02 worth..... :eagles:

The thought of Richard Roberts taking the moral high ground, by saying he was going to clean up athletics (or anything for that matter), still makes me chuckle.

• Upvote 1

The thought of Richard Roberts taking the moral high ground, by saying he was going to clean up athletics (or anything for that matter), still makes me chuckle.

agreed!!!  but you can't tell me there wasn't a culture change when Self and Carter took over.

i'm still amazed at what Self accomplished at a school where Benny Hinn, Richard Roberts, and every other weird Charismania preacher of the early 90's were regulars in Chapel.   it's a wonder he got anyone to come play for him.

my point was that i think the school has come a long way in the "weirdness" factor that a pentecostal/charismatic destinctive university will always have.  there seems to be more discernment going on with who comes to speak to the student body.

to eagleman's point, i'm a red-blooded male also and my issue is not the breaking of rules, it's the flaunting of them publicly.  it may just be a product of the current social media culture.  almost everyone who has attended ORU has run afoul of or chaffed at the rules, but today's technology can make those protestations/indiscretions instantaneous and public.  twitter has a private setting, perhaps the athletic dept just needs to require tweets be made private.

agreed!!!

i'm still amazed at what Self accomplished at a school where Benny Hinn, Richard Roberts, and every other weird Charismania preacher of the early 90's were regulars in Chapel.   it's a wonder he got anyone to come play for him.

my point was that i think the school has come a long way in the "weirdness" factor that a pentecostal/charismatic destinctive university will always have.  there seems to be more discernment going on with who comes to speak to the student body.

Better than Benny Hinn and Chuckles Howard-Browne...yes.

But, every time I turn on GEB to see the program from ORU, it's the same 2-3 guys "teaching" about seed-faith, or some similar "how to get God to give you stuff" message.

• Upvote 1

So what are Richard and Lindsay selling these days?..... :puke:

So what are Richard and Lindsay selling these days?..... :puke:

From what I understand, they are hitting the 3rd world 'healing crusade curcuit' pretty hard and they are doing quite well, financially.

Every once in a while, I'll flip on their show, if I am bored out of my mind.

That's a shame...OR must be rolling over in his grave....I guess RR and LR had to move from that big house just off the ORU campus???..it is kind of strange that since RR left ORU our teams seem to have taken a down turn.... :nerd:

No current ORU athletes are frankly good enough to play at any other D1 unversity so they should watch their behavior...

• Upvote 1

Preach it, Dr. C.!!!.... :clap:

None –– Dr. C? I disagree. 

I don't know the athletes of the others sports very well but MBBs certainly has players that could play elsewhere –– Emegano and Billbury? C'mon! It's not even close –– those guys can flat out ball. There may be a few others too but frankly I think they have a lot to prove and I'm not in the mood to stroke some underclassmen's ego in the event they're reading the board. 

• 1 year later...

Upon looking at ORU's dismal conference record this year, I was reminded of this post.  As much as it hurts, it looks like I was right about us entering back into the "Dark Ages" of ORU basketball.

I was a student from 2004-2008, so I got to watch ORU make the NIT and three straight NCAA appearances.  Looking back, I realize how special it was to have been a student at that time.

Here's a look back at our conference record from the year I was a freshman until now:

04-05: 13-3 (NIT)

05-06: 13-3 (NCAA)

06-07: 12-2 (NCAA)

07-08: 16-2 (NCAA)

08-09: 14-4

09-10: 13-5

10-11: 13-5 (CIT)

11-12: 17-1 (NIT) -- This was our best year since I was a student; we got upset in the conference tournament but almost made the NCAA tournament as an at large!

12-13: 13-5 (CIT) -- This was the year I thought we would enter the "Dark Ages," but this team managed to keep ORU basketball at a relatively high level for one more year.  This was our first year without a marquee name (Green, Tutt, Owens, Ehambe, Jarvis, DoMo).

13-14: 10-8 -- This is where the decline really started to take root.

14-15: 10-6 (CBI) -- Another year of mediocrity.

15-16: 5-8 (?) -- So this is what a losing conference record feels like...  -_-

Obi Emegano isn't a marquee enough name for you? He only has the 7th highest scoring average nationally.

Just proves the entire argument this thread is based on is false.

18 hours ago, ManiacAlum said:

Obi Emegano isn't a marquee enough name for you? He only has the 7th highest scoring average nationally.

Just proves the entire argument this thread is based on is false.

Obi's a great player, I wasn't trying to knock him in anyway.  The fact that we have a star player like Obi and are still sitting here with a 5-8 conference record speaks to how we don't have the same caliber of overall team talent that we've had in the past.  My overarching point is that since the golden years of the three consecutive NCAA tournament appearances, we've had a steady decline and its just now starting to feel like we are in the wilderness.  The last time ORU had a losing conference record was the 2000-2001 season, for goodness sakes!

Yeah except that all your other posts on this thread lists all of the player "eras" that ORU has supposedly had and that the problem is there have been no marquee players since Dominique Morrison.

What a surprise, you mean to tell me that the teams the last few years aren't the same caliber as the ones with Green and Tutt? If that's your standard, then yeah, I guess ORU will always be in the "dark ages".

11 hours ago, ManiacAlum said:

What a surprise, you mean to tell me that the teams the last few years aren't the same caliber as the ones with Green and Tutt? If that's your standard, then yeah, I guess ORU will always be in the "dark ages".

I never said that anything less than a team with Green/Tutt would be considered "dark ages."

This season is either the FIRST year of the "Dark Ages," or one year blip where we struck out on the recruiting/team chemistry front (excluding Obi, of course) and we're back to our winning ways next season.

The whole point of this thread was to promote discussion in regards to the future prospects of ORU basketball.  Will we see another long period between NCAA tournament berths (the last gap was 22 years from 1984 to 2006), or will we get back to the promised land sooner than later?

I must agree that the current roster does not resemble the rosters of ten years ago in terms of overall talent and depth.  The resulting W-L records speak for themselves, in both league and non-conference play.

The question is, "Why has the talent declined?"

Possible factors: 

1.  Changes in coaching staff responsible for recruiting.

2.  Change of direction in style of play ("playing small").

3.  Fewer players willing to accept ORU lifestyle restrictions (relaxed though they have become).

4.  Fewer parents/guardian "influencers" that are enamored with the Oral Roberts brand (post-Oral ministry fallout).

5.  Pressure from "The Hill" to recruit "Christian players" (whatever that means) more in tune with the ORU lifestyle.

i don't buy #2, #3, or #4

i think #1 is obvious and #5 was cited by the AD recently

my questions remain: is there the same desire and commitment by the current administration to success in athletics that there was under the Roberts family?  secondly, have people been there so long that they have become too comfortable?

case in point --- a coach half a continent away calling out ORU basketball.  who at ORU is going to slam this on the coach's or AD's desk and ask "What the....heck?"   obviously Billbury has relayed to his coach there is huge difference in playing at VCU than at ORU.

• VCU needed players, and Billbury is a player. But there has been a period of adjustment.

“This is a lot more competitive,” Wade said. “This is an ‘earn it’ program. He didn’t have to practice a whole lot at Oral Roberts. Here, you earn what you get. He thought you should get what you get. But he’s come around. He’s played his best basketball the last couple of games. I wish we could find another one like him for next year.”

• Upvote 2

That is an embarrassing quote. Not sure what to make of it, but there seems to be a culture issue in our basketball program.