Are we entering the Dark Ages of ORU Basketball?

lamb740

5 hours ago, Old Titan said:

8-22 and last-place in a low-major league experiencing a mediocre year is a FAR cry from just "a rebuilding year" and simply "won't make the postseason". 

In six of the past seven seasons, ORU has lost at least 15 games on the year, and the past four campaigns have included two losing records and another just one game over .500.

Even in the NAIA years, the cupboard was not as bare:  three players from that era were 2nd-round NBA draft picks (Haywoode Workman, Greg Sutton, and Anthony Jones), the team was arguably as good (if not better) than the current roster, and the attendance was about the same as now (awful).

How "dark" do things have to get, and for how long, before this thread SHOULD resonate?

Oh, things are definitely dark. I'm not disputing that. I'm just disagreeing with the premise of things being "dark" simply because ORU does not make an NCAA Tournament or an NIT in a given year. That's what started this thread.

I guess my argument is-- why would that be the expectation? Since returning to the NCAA, ORU has never had a run like a Belmont or Valparaiso, as a low-major power knocking on the postseason door every season. So isn't this the reality for mediocre to pretty good low-majors? Even mighty Valpo went 10 years between postseason appearances, which included a 9-22 season. 

We don't even have to look at just six of the last seven seasons. Scott Sutton's record at ORU outside of the Caleb Green era averages out to 17-15. Our postseason success in this tenure is directly linked to Caleb Green and playing the conference tourney in Tulsa.

And my mention of the NAIA years wasn't to knock those players or the athletic department, but just to say that there had to be some doubts about the future of ORU basketball during that time and while transitioning back to the NCAA. Is there that kind of worry right now? I mean, athletics has survived the university being on the verge of financial collapse twice.

There was nothing in 2012 that foretold this kind of season for ORU four years later. Heck, nobody here predicted this kind of finish in the preseason projections before THIS season. Players transferring and the move back to a much stronger Summit League happened after this discussion began. Those factors have contributed to the results this season.

Coaching change or not, there is young talent on the roster to turn things around.