Have's vs. have-nots

92EagleFan Matt B

It's definitely the Have's vs. the Have-not's in Southland volleyball. With the Have's all with double digit conference wins. Glad to see ORU being competitive in VB.

Team SLC Pct. Overall Pct. Home Away Neutral Streak

Central Arkansas 14 - 3 .823 26 -4 .866 12-1 9-3 5-0 W3

Sam Houston St. 14 - 3 .823 19 -10 .655 10-2 8-5 1-3 W1

Northwestern St. 12 - 5 .705 20 - 9 .689 9-1 4-6 6-2 L1

Stephen F. Austin 11 - 6 .647 21 - 10 .677 10-3 7-5 4-2 W2

Texas A&M C.C. 11 - 6 .647 20 - 10 .666 8-1 8-7 4-2 W1

Oral Roberts 10 - 7 .588 14 - 14 .500 6-3 4-8 4-3 L1

Southeastern La. 5 - 12 .294 11 - 17 .392 6-7 4-7 0-3 L3

Nicholls St. 5 - 12 .294 10 - 18 .357 5-6 4-10 2-3 W1

Lamar 2 - 15 .117 10 - 21 .322 6-9 1-9 3-3 L3

McNeese St. 1 - 16 .058 7 - 24 .225 4-11 2-10 1-3 L4

it has been a steady decline since Revis Ward left. finishing 6th in the Southland may be the low point since she moved on.

Seems like a lot of our sports teams have been regressing since RR and LR left ORU.....hummmm....has TheEagleman spotted a trend here?....... :-D;-)

I attended last Saturday's volleyball match vs. the Northwestern LA Demons (Devils?) (senior-day) and the ORU ladies played very well against a team that was ahead of them in the standings (3rd place). ORU swept them in 3 games. I was also impressed with the sizable and vocal crowd, and that some Northwestern LA fans were at the game (perhaps they traveled from LA?).

It is easy to sit back and criticize, especially when we are not privy to the challenges that the coaches and players face, but moving to a new conference brings challenges for a new team facing 9 new foes in unfamiliar venues. Also, one of ORU's best hitters from last year has been basically injured and recovering from surgery all season long (Pre-season All Southland pick) and another one of their best hitters from last year chose not to return for personal reasons.

I believe 6 teams will make the Southland Volleyball tournament this upcoming weekend in Conway, AR and ORU will be one of them. Even with the unexpected loss of 2 key contributors, if the ladies play with the same focus and determination that they played with last Saturday, they will have a chance to make a run. I'm not sure that there is a lot of difference between the top 6 teams and believe that this tournament is fairly wide open.

My intent is not to be critical. I am a HUGE Sheera fan. She is a wonderful person and has served ORU in a positive manner since the mid-1990's, as a player, assistant coach, and head coach.

If anyone can get us back to an elite level, I think/hope she is the person to do it.

TheEagleman also thinks that our ladies will do well in the tournament...they will not be an easy out......my above comment was obviously just a joke.....this will be a difficult year for all of our teams with the transition to the Southland Conference....new faces.....new opponents and new venues with different travel issues......ORU will represent us with pride in Conway..... :clap:

No doubt that the Revis Ward coached team in the mid to late 90s that made the elite eight was a special group of players. I believe over half of that team was from Croatia and Brazil. There are challenges with having a majority of foreign players on a team from the potential language barrier, to keeping them eligible, to accurately evaluating the talent level of foreign players for recruiting purposes with limited exposure to information about those players, to also recruiting Americans who want to play with a team made up of a majority of foreign players.

For all of those reasons and more, I believe ORU volleyball adjusted their recruiting philosophy a few years ago to focus on recruiting more domestic talent from our state and region. It was not an easy transition, but if you look at the roster now, there are 5 players from Brazil, 1 from Bosnia, 1 from Idaho, 1 from Bentonville, AR, and 5 from the Tulsa area, including 1 from Jenks, 2 from Union, 1 from Bartlesville (6'3" freshman hitter who starts) and 1 Tulsa-area home-schooler who was a driving force behind Saturday's win. It is a nice mixture of talent with promise for the future.

The next recruiting challenge would be tapping into the Edmond and Bishop Kelley volleyball pipelines. There is a lot of good VB talent in Oklahoma.