Conley Phipps,Sr - RIP

orumom

ORU Men's Basketball lost one of it's most loyal fans today, Conley Phipps, Sr. (April 2, 1935- August 26,2012). I have no doubt but what he was met at Heaven's gate by his wife, Raymodeen Gee Phipps (Febr 21,1935- Jan 4,2012). When ORU plays at Mabee Center, Ray & I will miss Conley & Raymodeen being in their front row seats. Not only did they not miss a home game, Conley Sr DROVE ...

to all of the ORU men's basketball road games.

This quote from ORU Eaglebacker on the ORU message board in 2005 says a lot. "

Phipps Sr. drives to every road game in his SUV. Even as bad as we have played he will still get in his SUV, travel to Northern Colorado then to Louisiana-Lafayette. The journey will have just begun as he heads to Utah St, & then back for OU..... then off to what I believe is the most challenging road trip for him and the team.

Let's take a peek at this trip. Conley will board his SUV, head off to Minnesota, then drive to Chicago for the Chicago St game and immediately head off to Southern Utah (driving all night to get there), and then home to end a 6 day road trip.

Folks, I say this because he has done this every year! Whether the team is playing good or bad he is there supporting Phipps Jr. (assistant to Scott Sutton) and this team.

So when the team lets you down and you want give up on them for a while, I for one just want to thank Conley Phipps Sr for always being there and supporting the kids with encouragement. "

Conley Phipps, Sr, leaves to mourn him, his son Conley Phipps Jr, daughter-in-law, Stephanie and the pride & joy of his & Raymodeen's lives, their three grandchildren. Mackenzie, Trey and Mollie.

Our prayers are with his family.

Tragic. What a shock. Mr. Phipps has been a FIXTURE at every game of the Scott Sutton era. We'll be praying for the family.

• Upvote 1

My first encounter with Conley Phipps, Sr. was way back in 1979: I was a reserve on the Tulsa Memorial High School basketball team, and we played Cleveland High School in a preseason scrimmage.

Cleveland had a tall, skinny kid who seemed to shoot - and score - every time he crossed half court, and his head coach spent the entire game encouraging him to do so.

"That kid" was ORU assistant coach Conley Phipps, Jr., and the head coach was his dad, Conley, Sr.

And they proved to be quite the combination, as Conley, Jr. broke all kinds of scoring records before signing with OU and finishing his playing career at Northeastern State in Tahlequah.

Now, I don't know it for a fact, but I'm willing to bet that Conley, Sr, was there for all or most of his son's college games.

Because, as we all know, he was there for virtually EVERY game his son ever coached once his playing career was over.

"Conley Senior" has been an institution at ORU games for over a decade, and you always knew you could count on seeing him sitting right behind the bench whenever you were on the road with the Golden Eagles.

A part of the fabric of ORU men's basketball is now gone, and I know I will think of it every time I happen to catch a Golden Eagle game on the road and he is not there.

Just won't be the same... ;(

• Upvote 2

Wow!....This guy Conley was a TRUE BLUE ORU fan....God Bless him and his wife....RIP....sounds like he might be the most loyal ORU fan ever.... :eagles::up:

• Upvote 1

A part of the fabric of ORU men's basketball is now gone, and I know I will think of it every time I happen to catch a Golden Eagle game on the road and he is not there.

Just won't be the same... ;(

Here, here, OT. Couldn't have been said better.

• Upvote 1

Mr. Phipps was a very loyal father and ORU fan. As others have said - he was at almost every ORU men's basketball game (home or away). That is some devotion to ORU and his son. Prayers for his family for comfort in their time of loss

• Upvote 1

Sr was incredible. So many times he was already at the hotel on the road. He would beat the team to Fargo somehow. Hated to fly. Owned the road. Missed by all those who love Oru basketball.

His "Go Eagles!!!" as the team ran on the floor will bounce around my head as long as I'm here.

• Upvote 2

Ya gotta love a guy like that.....TheEagleman is humbled by this man's dedication to and love for ORU roundball..... :clap: :clap: :clap: ....you think that the team/university will do something special to honor him and his late wife this season?.....sounds like the least ORU could do..... :nerd:

• Upvote 1

This morning's service for Conley Sr. was a tribute to a wonderful coach, husband, dad and grandfather. Stephanie Phipps (Conley Jr's wife) did a beautiful job with the eulogy. She talked about Conley Sr's sports career as a player in high school, college and the military, coaching, his love for his wife and his love for his son and grandchildren. The music was beautiful. When the soloist sang, "How Great Thou Art", I thought, wow that sounded like Elvis. When Stephanie finished speaking, she said that Conley Sr. loved Elvis, so they had an Elvis impersonator sing. The service ended with" Love Me Tender."

I was proud of our former players who drove in for the service. I spotted Eric, Yemi, Moses, & Mickey. I know there were more. Conley Phipps, Sr will be missed at the ORU basketball games. To quote Steph, "but the refs will have an easier job."

• Upvote 1

Not sure about that last statement, Mom.....the Refs will still have to contend with OT, Bogus and TMH....maybe ORU should put a large headshot photo of Conley Sr. in his front row seat....at least for this season as a tribute..... :nerd:

• Upvote 1

Not sure about that last statement, Mom.....the Refs will still have to contend with OT, Bogus and TMH....maybe ORU should put a large headshot photo of Conley Sr. in his front row seat....at least for this season as a tribute..... :nerd:

I love the idea of a picture of Conley Sr. It just hit me how nice it would have been to have a video of yesterday's service, because it truely was a celebration. On Channel 6, they just showed his picture in an ORU baseball cap and gave a short bio and the increased number of West Nile cases.

Well then....we have an agreement....Conley and his wife's seats at Mabee Center should be empty this year except for their Photos which will be placed on the back of the seats....love it....great tribute to ORU's #1 fans!..... :clap: