Bill Self: sleazy or just being honest

ORUalum

I heard this mentioned briefly on talk radio...

Self essentially used a Basketball tour of Europe to tryout one of his recruits. He then waits until the kid goes home for a week prior to school starting to call him and tell him that he does not have a future at Kansas. I'm guessing he told him that his scholarship would not be renewed next summer so the kid might as well transfer now. I can see both sides of the arguement, but you have to feel for the young man. I wonder if he will land at TU with Manning if they have a scholarship available.

Milton Doyle spoke with Self on phone before deciding to transfer

(excerpt)

Milt Doyle, who returned to his hometown of Chicago on Aug. 13 for a weeklong visit with his family following Kansas University’s basketball excursion to Switzerland and Paris, planned to catch a flight to Kansas City International on Sunday for the start of first semester classes Monday at KU.

He had a change of heart after a serious phone conversation with Jayhawk coach Bill Self.

“We spoke to Milt at length Sunday on what we thought his role would be within our program,†10th-year KU coach Self said Monday in officially announcing the 6-foot-4 freshman guard’s decision to transfer to a yet-to-be-determined school.

“We discussed his options, and the first option was welcoming him back for the fall. His leaving is entirely his own choice, one that he felt was best for his future. We expected him to be here, but he thought it was better for him to go to a place where he had a better opportunity to impact a program early in his career,†Self added. “We wish nothing but the best for him. He is a great kid.â€

TheEagleman tends to side with sleazy.....but hey.....that's the nature of college athletics today...... :puke:

In the long run, the kid is better off to be told this now than to waste a frustrating year sitting on the bench (or worse).

Perhaps, Blue....but are you telling me that at a top BCS school like KU, Bill Self didn't know that the kid couldn't play when he offered him a scholarship?.....hard to believe...... |(

I guess that kind of stuff happens all the time....yeah, maybe the kid winds up at TU next season.....Manning might have a spot open across town...... :nerd:

Better that the player know his position now, before spending a year at KU and 'wasting' a playing season. Stringing him along would have been much worse. You have to wonder if he might not have fit into the team dynamics (attitude). Maybe Self saw/experienced something during the European trip.

I was in Wichita for an oil & gas conference earlier this week and Bill Self spoke at a breakfast meeting. Boy do they love this guy in Kansas. He was an entertaining speaker - self deprecating and funny. He spoke kindly about ORU and the fact that they gave him a chance; said no one else in America would have kept a coach that lost his first 18 games. He kind of glossed over his time with TU and Illinois.

TheEagleman is wondering at which school did Self start wearing that rug?......did he have one while coaching at ORU?..... :nerd:

TheEagleman is wondering at which school did Self start wearing that rug?......did he have one while coaching at ORU?..... :nerd:

Yep.

:| ....TheEagleman figures that Billy could only afford a cheapo wig on his ORU salary back in the 90's....now with the big $$$ he makes at Kansas he can afford the deluxe model.......hey TMH, is it too much to ask for comparison photos if available?...... :nerd:

:| ....TheEagleman figures that Billy could only afford a cheapo wig on his ORU salary back in the 90's....now with the big $$$ he makes at Kansas he can afford the deluxe model.......hey TMH, is it too much to ask for comparison photos if available?...... :nerd:

I'll see what I can do . . . ;-)

Great find, Alum.......Self almost looks like a teenager.....so that's a rug he's wearing even back in 1995?.....and those aviator glasses.....not good..... :razz:

...and hey..TheEagleman kinda likes those old blue and gold uniforms.....better than the gold ones we have now..... :nerd:

That was a fun video to watch. Bill Self and Al Jerkens look so young and on one of the bench shots you could also see a young Barry Hinson as well. Although, I think those uniforms were hideous and I don't remember them wearing that style for very long.

Well, I guess there is no accounting for taste....just wondering....any chance ORU will have new unis on the court this season?....perhaps we will at least get to see the white ones at home again..... :nerd:

Just wondering what would have happened if Bill Self never left ORU?.....ah, that was never gonna happen.....we certainly can't complain about the job that Scott Sutton has done over the past 14 yrs.....he's the perfect fit for 7777 South Lewis... :nerd:

• 5 weeks later...

TheEagleman noticed on the ESPN scroll last night that Bill Self and KU have agreed to a 10 yr. contract extension thru 2022.....sounds like Billy is set for life.....I guess we won't be seeing a return of Slick Willie to the ORU sidelines in the near future when Coach Scott Sutton eventually bolts...... :nerd: