MLB Draft

ORUalum

OK, then - how about this instead: we want them to stay so we can win more games.

Exactly the answer I wanted to hear. And completely defensible. You, as a fan, want underclassmen to stay because you want your team to win as many games as possible. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, as long as you admit it.

What bugs me is when folks share those same selfish hopes (and I promise, I'm not calling you or anyone else out by using the term "selfish". Every fan feels that way about their teams, me included) for pro-eligible underclassmen but disguise those feelings with a bunch of poorly-reasoned mumbo-jumbo about "what's best for the kid".

They want the kid to get a degree (that he'll make enough money to get later, and may not be at all relevant to his chosen career).

The want him to stay and develop his skills (by playing fewer games, against weaker competition, with the distraction of classwork).

They want him to stick around to see if he can improve his draft position (even though there's an equal chance his draft position will slip if he comes back).

They think he can get more money if he waits a year (Even though that extra year will exhaust his college eligibility, killing much of the leverage he'd have in negotiations. How nice it is to gamble with other people's money).

Fans who give those reasons are simply dancing around the actual interest they have in mind: They know their team won't be as good if the player leaves.

Now, there are plenty of logical reasons why a pro-eligible underclassman would decide to stay in school. Honestly, some of the reasons given in this thread are valid, and the counterpoints that I provided aren't the infallible truth. Every situation is unique based on the kid's circumstances and values.

There is certainly nothing wrong with staying, if that's what the athlete wants to do.

But let's stop acting like the real reason fans want underclassmen to stick around are noble and have the kid's interest in mind. And stop talking about the extra money a guy can make by sticking around unless you're willing to cut him a check if it doesn't work out and he ends up with less.

Fans want underclassmen to stay because they want to win more games. Nothing more, nothing less.

Players have a lot to consider when making this decision. Why don't all HS players that are drafted automatically sign with the MLB teams? Because unless they are taken in the top 5-7 rounds or so, the signing bonus won't be enough to significantly "set them up" financially. Being in the minor leagues is an absolute grind and the VAST MAJORITY of players end up being chewed up and spit out by the grinder pretty quickly. There is a reason why the MLB draft has 40 rounds (and used to have 50 rounds). They are spitting out a bunch of players who didn't cut the mustard and need fresh bodies.

In college baseball, you are a big shot on campus and are treated very well. It is so much better to get the degree under the belt by putting in one more year than to have to come back and do it after you have been chewed up and spit out. One more year in college definitely gives you more coaching and experience and the opportunity to develop and put yourself in the best possible position to succeed. That is important because as I mentioned earlier, you only get one chance, so you should definitely put yourself in a position to make the most of it. The biggest challenge is the risk that your senior year won't be as good as your previous 3 and as a result your draft stock might drop. There is also the chance of injury, although except for pitchers that is a fairly small risk. It comes down to the expected $ for the position they were drafted and the player's confidence in himself to continue performing at that high level through 1 more year of college.

TheEagleman also wants to see Pickar play another year at ORU....plus....get his degree....my reasons ARE selfish but the minors are full of 11th round picks who don't pan out....you can always fall back on the college degree....sure, Bennett could come back and get it but most guys don't......I'd just like to see the kid behind the plate another year for the Golden Eagles.....he can go pro in 2013.....but I guess it will all depend on the signing bonus $$$.... :nerd:

In the case of the batterymen (pitchers and catchers) in the ORU program, you also have to weigh the fact that you have an extremely good teacher in Rob Walton. Will you be given the same amount of attention with a traveling minor league instructor, manager or pitching coach as you will with Rob Walton on a daily basis? Maybe...maybe not. As a junior, draft-eligible player, you also have some negotiating leverage with your current situation to ensure that you will get the attention needed to improve your draft status as a senior. In my (probably biased) opinion, it is truly a hard decision for a catcher or pitcher at ORU to decide on what is best for their long-term career.

Exactly the answer I wanted to hear. And completely defensible. You, as a fan, want underclassmen to stay because you want your team to win as many games as possible. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, as long as you admit it.

What bugs me is when folks share those same selfish hopes (and I promise, I'm not calling you or anyone else out by using the term "selfish". Every fan feels that way about their teams, me included) for pro-eligible underclassmen but disguise those feelings with a bunch of poorly-reasoned mumbo-jumbo about "what's best for the kid".

They want the kid to get a degree (that he'll make enough money to get later, and may not be at all relevant to his chosen career).

The want him to stay and develop his skills (by playing fewer games, against weaker competition, with the distraction of classwork).

They want him to stick around to see if he can improve his draft position (even though there's an equal chance his draft position will slip if he comes back).

They think he can get more money if he waits a year (Even though that extra year will exhaust his college eligibility, killing much of the leverage he'd have in negotiations. How nice it is to gamble with other people's money).

Fans who give those reasons are simply dancing around the actual interest they have in mind: They know their team won't be as good if the player leaves.

Now, there are plenty of logical reasons why a pro-eligible underclassman would decide to stay in school. Honestly, some of the reasons given in this thread are valid, and the counterpoints that I provided aren't the infallible truth. Every situation is unique based on the kid's circumstances and values.

There is certainly nothing wrong with staying, if that's what the athlete wants to do.

But let's stop acting like the real reason fans want underclassmen to stick around are noble and have the kid's interest in mind. And stop talking about the extra money a guy can make by sticking around unless you're willing to cut him a check if it doesn't work out and he ends up with less.

Fans want underclassmen to stay because they want to win more games. Nothing more, nothing less.

This may be the greatest post in the history of ORUSports.com...

+1,000,000!!!

Not so fast, former SID......there have been at least 1000 posts better than the one above.....in fact, TheEagleman has penned about 900 of them....... :razz:;-):*

• Upvote 1

The kid has to do what's best for him.....congrats to Bennett!....(love the name....same as my 9 yr old grandson)..... :clap:

According to the logic of some fans on this topic, Mark Zuckerberg should have stayed at Harvard, received his degree, and waited for a job offer, rather the leave school early and make billions of dollars founding Facebook.

Yes....TheEagleman would have stayed at Harvard to get that invaluable Ivy League degree...... :razz: