MLB Draft

ORUalum

my rangers picked Cam Schiller at #246 in the 7th round

My Phillies picked Baylor C Josh Luby in the 8th round.....would love to see them grab ORU's Joe Spring or Drew Bowen...... :nerd:

Bennett Pickar was taken in the 11th round by the Detroit Tigers and he is a Junior. Hope he decides to come back for another year and up his draft stock! Who wants to play for the Tigers anyway... :wasntme:

Through 15 rounds, only 2 ORU players from this year's team have been taken so far. I'm not sure about the current HS signees/future ORU players. However, 2 players have been taken from Eastern Oklahoma State University (juco) and 1 from Western Oklahoma State University (juco). Also, there have been at least 5-6 players taken so far from Stony Brook University in NY. I have rarely heard of this school before, but it turns out that they are in the Top 25 and made it to a super regional.

Wow! I'm very suprised that Bennett didn't go higher. Also, I thought Bowen would be drafted by now. He certainly has shown to be very effective this season. I will be thrilled if they both return though.

Pickar would be crazy to leave after being drafted in round 11....that's not a very big signing bonus.....he would be better off playing another year...working on his game and getting his degree....heck, he still needs a lot of work with the bat....his average wasn't much above .250 at best..... :!:

Pickar ended the season at around .295 after being over .300 towards the end of the Summit League season. Although he has progressed from the 15th round out of high school to the 11th round as a Junior, I don't know if he has been drafted high enough to leave college. Bennett was being projected higher, but there were 33 catchers that were selected before he was drafted in the 11th round.

It will be interesting to see who does stay. I think a lot will be dependent on what happens at the top.

Thanks for the link Bogus. This caught my eye: "....the signing deadline has been moved up a month from August 15th to July 13th."

This will certainly give colleges more time to plan in case a signee decides to go pro. In the past we literally would not know until the student-athlete did not show up at school.

Pickar would be better off playing another year...working on his game....heck, he still needs a lot of work with the bat....

What do you think Minor League Baseball is for?

Interestingly, no one else was drafted (that I can find) from ORU, including Schlehuber, Bowen, Spring and King. The seniors could sign on as free agents since there is no more eligibility, but really glad that we have Bo for another year. It will be interesting to see if Pickar decides to hone his skills with a smaller bonus or get his education and see if he can better his stock in next year's draft.

The pro game is at a whole other level...playing day in and day out...travelling by bus all over the place....love Pickar but he should get his degree and play at ORU another year....see what the draft brings in 2013......plus, the signing bonuses are smaller now.....Please stay, Bennett!!!.....by the way....TheEagleman is very surprised that Bowen and Spring were not drafted.....I noticed that several players from Dallas Baptist and even Okla. City U. were drafted....The Phillies drafted an OCU player today..... :nerd:

This paragraph from a Baseball America article might explain why Bennett slipped to the 11th round. His potential access to a higher bonus certainly diminishes our chances of seeing him again in an ORU uniform. Crazy system...

And in a perverse incentive, because the first $100,000 for a player taken after the 10th round does not count against a team's budget, a team can stretch its bonus pool by taking better talent in later round. Say a team wants two players, one who will sign for $1,000 and the other who will sign for $250,000. If it takes the $250,000 player in the sixth round and the $1,000 player in the 11th, $250,000 counts against the budget. But reverse those two picks and only $150,000 counts against the pool. That explains why nine players in the BA 500 were picked in the 10th round, while 18 players in the BA 500 were taken in the 11th round.

The pro game is at a whole other level...playing day in and day out..love Pickar but he should get his degree and play at ORU another year....

There are cases to be made for staying and going, but I'm not sure how playing more baseball at a higher level is counterproductive to a young player's development.

Staying in college 1 more year allows the player to graduate with a degree. Another year of development in college allows that player to possibly garner a higher draft choice which will usually lead to more $ (although not an absolute guarantee based on the discussion above). Another year of development also allows that player to enter the minor leagues with more experience under his belt which in turn gives him a better opportunity to succeed. You only get one shot in the minor leagues, so when you enter, you want to have the best chance to succeed.

some good news...

"Justin Morhardt was taken in the 39th round of MLB first-year draft, but will attend Oral Roberts in the fall and play ball there ‪#ctbase" -- LINK

Staying in college 1 more year allows the player to graduate with a degree. Another year of development in college allows that player to possibly garner a higher draft choice which will usually lead to more $ (although not an absolute guarantee based on the discussion above). Another year of development also allows that player to enter the minor leagues with more experience under his belt which in turn gives him a better opportunity to succeed. You only get one shot in the minor leagues, so when you enter, you want to have the best chance to succeed.

Most professional teams include future college expenses in the signing bonuses they give to junior draft picks.

Also, I keep hearing "development" as a reason to stay in school. And again I say, what do you think Minor League Baseball is for? This isn't the NFL, where you go straight from college to the highest level, or the NBA, where the minor league system only exists for fringe players.

This is baseball. Each franchise spends millions of dollars and fields seven or eight minor league teams for the sole purpose of player development.

Most professional teams include future college expenses in the signing bonuses they give to junior draft picks.

Also, I keep hearing "development" as a reason to stay in school. And again I say, what do you think Minor League Baseball is for? This isn't the NFL, where you go straight from college to the highest level, or the NBA, where the minor league system only exists for fringe players.

This is baseball. Each franchise spends millions of dollars and fields seven or eight minor league teams for the sole purpose of player development.

OK, then - how about this instead: we want them to stay so we can win more games.