Walton candidate for OSU job

MrsSmith

OSU Frank Anderson was fired today and Rob Walton is being mentioned for the job.

I didn't realize that Rob got his degree last summer. That is a big thing for a lot of schools.

It will be interesting.

I worry as much (if not more) about Rob going to some other Top 25 program as opposed to Oklahoma State, a program that is now firmly entrenched in the lower division of the Big XII due to budget constraints, antiquated facilities, and an athletic administration that's completely distracted by football these days.

Would Coach Walton leave when he has the opportunity to coach his son during the next four years?..... :nerd:

Would Coach Walton leave when he has the opportunity to coach his son during the next four years?..... :nerd:

I don't know how the baseball letter of intent rules work, but could "Rob and son" be considered a package deal?

Coach Walton indicated at the luncheon last week that his son would not be on an athletic scholarship at ORU - but attending on the 'employee benefit'.

it sounds like coach walton will be leaving. hope ORU will hire coach fulmer if he does.

it sounds like coach walton will be leaving. hope ORU will hire coach fulmer if he does.

Talked with the parents of a previous player on Sunday night, and they would be VERY happy if Fulmer were to become the next head coach if Walton leaves. They said he has a great relationship with the players.

LOL - don't players ALWAYS want "the assistant coach" to be the next head coach?

Ryan Folmar may in fact be "The Guy", but it behooves us to explore all options: this is as good a mid-major baseball program as there is in the country, even better than a LOT of Power Six conference jobs.

I mean, where would a guy rather coach: a place with decades of tradition, great facilities (including a state-of-the-art indoor practice facility), fertile recruiting grounds, a well-respected conference in baseball, no football team to compete with internally, etc., OR some Big 10 or Big East school where baseball is an afterthought and the weather hampers your recruiting?

I 100% agree with OT. If Walton leaves for OSU (hope he doesn't) there may be an impressive list of external candidates who deserve consideration. Can't believe Frank Anderson has been at OSU for 9 years. He has had pretty decent success. I'm a little surprised they fired him and didn't instead give him another year.

Jim Traber has openly campaigned for Anderson to be fired and for Walton to get the job for the last year or so. It is certainly possible that he has influenced OSU significantly because he has a large radio following, especially in OKC.

It would be very difficult to replace Walton. The guys fits ORU and can flat out coach. If he decides to leave, his replacement would be a big decision for Mike Carter. The new guy would have to continue the tradition - in a brand new conference. Never easy to replace a 'legend'.

• 2 weeks later...

per twitter reports...OSU has hired Josh Holliday. Great news for ORU baseball.

per twitter reports...OSU has hired Josh Holliday. Great news for ORU baseball.

True, at least for that job. Still a lot of other schools out there looking right now.

But, yeah - great that we dodged the bullet from Pistol Pete. :whew:

True, at least for that job. Still a lot of other schools out there looking right now.

But, yeah - great that we dodged the bullet from Pistol Pete. :whew:

Yeah! Pistols really WERE firing!

I wonder what the story is behind the scenes with this hire. I am sooooo glad that Rob Walton is still at ORU. Why would an assistant at Vanderbilt be more desirable than an established coach that has won 9 straight conference championships and gone to 9 straight NCAA regionals? They are both former players in the OSU family, so that is a wash. I just wonder what the real story is.

Sounds like Coach Walton AND his son will still be at ORU next year....it's just like a buy one....get one free!..... :nerd:

We have mostly assumed that Rob really wanted the OSU job. Perhaps in the end he decided that ORU is exactly where he wants to be. I have to think that if he really wanted the OSU job he would have it now. I heard some of the Josh Holliday press conference and to be honest he sounds a little wet behind the ears to me. Not only that, but when his dad was fired from OSU 9 years ago, I think there were some pretty hard feelings on both sides. I can't imagine that Josh Holliday was their first choice. I'm not saying he won't be a good coach, but that there is significantly more risk with a hire like this than with a clearly established commodity like Rob Walton. Although, I truly believe they made the right decision! :wasntme:

I'm thrilled that Rob is still here.

But, as with Scott Sutton, I just hope Rob is thrilled to still be here...