Walton candidate for OSU job

MrsSmith

This move by Rob was about money, and I'm not just talking about the increase in salary he's likely to receive.

Rob is a connection to the old guard, the old money in the OSU program. And for that matter so is Josh Holliday. Rob is a solid and respected link to the 80s and guys like Pete Incaviglia, Robin Ventura, John Farrell, Mickey Tettleton and others who apparently haven't been overly generous toward OSU since Tom Holliday left.OSU for years has had a sub-standard facility and funding (at least by Big 12 standards) and the Boone Pickens money set aside for baseball tanked along with the economy. Rob can help get some of that money back.

Interesting point about the OSU money, but is there also an ORU money problem?. The three coaches of ORU's biggest sports desperately wanted to leave this year. Is ORU cutting budgets or its commitment to athletics?

I also think that Rob has battled some health issues in the past and maybe he was ready to 'dial it down' a bit. Making more money/benefits and going back to your alma mater wouldn't hurt either.

As far as money is concerned - we can't compete against the likes of OSU. The mantra at ORU is 'sustainability' - and that means living within the constraints of a relatively tight budget. Our coaches make pretty good money when compared with their conference competitors. We just can't keep up with the Big 12.

I also think that Rob has battled some health issues in the past and maybe he was ready to 'dial it down' a bit. Making more money/benefits and going back to your alma mater wouldn't hurt either.

As far as money is concerned - we can't compete against the likes of OSU. The mantra at ORU is 'sustainability' - and that means living within the constraints of a relatively tight budget. Our coaches make pretty good money when compared with their conference competitors. We just can't keep up with the Big 12.

Good post, Terry.

Let be clear - I do not begrudge any of our coaches for wanting to better their salary or career. I understand the desire to provide for your family. Coaching is a fickle profession; a lot more at other institutions. If you don't win, you don't stay employed. I wish we could pay the coaches enought to keep them forever, but that is not going to happen. If they are successful (which is what we and they all want) they are going to get offers from larger schools with deeper pockets. It is just a fact of life. It is remarkable that we have been able to keep our coaches for as long as we have.

Many insightful comments about this situation have been posted but I still can't get past the fact that if they are both going to be at OSU, then Josh Holliday should be working for Rob Walton instead of the other way around. Maybe health, more money, a desire to focus on pitching, and a strong desire to be at OSU all came into play in making this decision, but there is something special about being the head coach that stokes the competitive fire in most coaches, and certainly Rob Walton is an extremely competitive individual, so I am surprised that he would prefer the step down to an assistant position.

My suggestion is to hire someone with recruiting connections to Texas and Louisiana because with Rob now at OSU, I'm not sure how strong our California recruiting connection will be any more.

TheEagleman is available.....would love to finish out my working career as ORU head baseball coach.....how hard can it be to fill out a line up four days a week? :razz: .......

I don't think Rob made the move to the assistant just cause he didn't want the rigors of being a head coach. If so why was he the head coach of Team USA. Rob will be a head coach again on a bigger stage and I think he realized he could move to a higher level assistant job for more money and build the resume and be at his alma mater at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...

I will miss following Coach Walton as skipper of the Golden Eagles! I truly wish him nothing but the very best! The Cowboys are in for an awakening, they now have two people that are extremely passionate about winning at OSU! I personally feel that Coach Walton will one day be a Major League Pitching Coach and eventually a Major League Manager.....HE'S THAT GOOD!

Irish