Finkbeiner finalist for Utah State job?

ORUalum

@efrandsen Finkbeiner excited about better recruiting opportunities (no honor code like at Oral Roberts). Wants some international players #USU

@efrandsen Finkbeiner excited about better recruiting opportunities (no honor code like at Oral Roberts). Wants some international players #USU

Yeah, I was a little disappointed about the way Jerry addressed the Honor Code, along with a handful of other topics, such as Oklahoma's weather, and the ORU men's team's string of losses to the Aggies.

I don't think he meant anything bad by any of his comments: it appeared he was trying to say nice things about the state of Utah and USU in general, but in doing so, he sort of threw ORU under the bus in places. He struck me as being a little unprepared for the press conference, and at times like that it showed.

In short; I got what he was trying to say - I was just surprised at how he said it.

I thought it was an odd statement as well. He should have had notes. Not sure you want to announce to an 80+% LDS state that you were looking forward to getting away from an honor code. They have to be wondering what type of players he wants to bring to Logan.

• Upvote 1

I think the phone buzzing in his pocket was Scott Sutton calling to ask him why he said we wouldn't schedule Utah State again since we got "thumped" by them in the BB!

Gee, Thanks for the kind words about ORU, Fink......TheEagleman says.....Adios, Jerry.....enjoy Utah..... :*

Well, so much for 'class'..one week he advises numerous of this years team members that their scholarships will not be renewed next year and the next week he announces he is leaving!

"Yeah, c'mon - let's kill the S.O.B.!!" :punch::@

Seriously, people: it wasn't that bad!

The guy accomplished an awful lot while he was here, more than most folks will ever even know.

Lets not read too much into a couple of off-the-cuff excited utterances.

(And, for the Aggies sake, lets hope he puts a little more effort into his game plan than he did his opening remarks!)

Fink clearly is a TOOL deep down.........his lack of communications and people skills must not have been a stumbling block for USU......TheEagleman never thought he was very impressive on that ORU Coaches Show on Fox College Sports....and our players were clearly not responding to his methods after the first month of last season.....Wanna bet that Kevi doesn't have her best season in 2012-13?....ORU can do a lot better.....good riddance!..... :*

Fink clearly is a TOOL deep down.........his lack of communications and people skills must not have been a stumbling block for USU......TheEagleman never thought he was very impressive on that ORU Coaches Show on Fox College Sports....and our players were clearly not responding to his methods after the first month of last season.....Wanna bet that Kevi doesn't have her best season in 2012-13?....ORU can do a lot better.....good riddance!..... :*

Nope - don't agree, Eagleman. Jerry is a good guy. In his opinion it was just time to move on.

jerry you were a personable guy ran a clean program and raised the level of oru basketball from when you came youll b misses best wishes and prayers!

• Jerry you were a personable guy ran a clean program and raised the level of oru basketball from when you came youll b misses best wishes and prayers!
    +1 Thanks for your service to ORU

Well, so much for 'class'..one week he advises numerous of this years team members that their scholarships will not be renewed next year and the next week he announces he is leaving!

By the way ... Which of the players apparently didn't get their scholarships renewed?

Jerry may be a good guy but his statements about ORU yesterday were something he should not have said.....knocking the honor code?.....please......but you know the man, TMH and TheEagleman does not....so I will defer to your opinion.....and he did leave the program better than he found it......still, last season was bizarre....such high hopes and the team seemed to tune him out late.......whatever, it is time to move on......frankly, I feel the same way about the men's coach.....time to move on there, too....but I digress.....Congrats to Misti on getting the job and hopefully there will be a big year ahead for the ORU ladies at Mabee Center..... :up:

Jerry may be a good guy but his statements about ORU yesterday were something he should not have said.....knocking the honor code?.....please......but you know the man, TMH and TheEagleman does not....so I will defer to your opinion.....and he did leave the program better than he found it......still, last season was bizarre....such high hopes and the team seemed to tune him out late.......whatever, it is time to move on......frankly, I feel the same way about the men's coach.....time to move on there, too....but I digress.....Congrats to Misti on getting the job and hopefully there will be a big year ahead for the ORU ladies at Mabee Center..... :up:

Did you listen to the interview, Eagleman? I wouldn't say he necessarily "knocked" the Honor Code. In fact, he said something like he would never want to diminish it - he just said that he's looking forward to being able to recruit from a broader range of players than the Honor Code allowed. Or something like that.

While I think the more prudent thing would have been to not mention ORU's Honor Code at all in the press conference, I didn't feel he knocked it so much as said that recruiting without it would give him a greater degree of freedom.

Recruiting under the Honor Code is probably AT LEAST as hard as living by it, eh, Eagleman?? ;-)

You are playing around with words, TMH....we all know what Fink meant.....ORU had too many rules to recruit certain players.....it's the truth.....and I am sure it's tough on all our coaches sometimes.....but that's ORU.........oh well, it's water under the bridge now.....TheEagleman is just ready for a new coach......I am sure she will do very well and the girls will relate to her and play for her..... :nerd:

The only thing about it is, I know Jerry pretty well, and I've seen the things that are important to him over the years - it's just hard for me to think he would have personal objections to the Honor Code. That's why I feel like we might be misinterpreting his remarks.