Finkbeiner finalist for Utah State job?

ORUalum

not sure how reliable the source is, but saw that he is a finalist for the job on twitter.

"Utah State is down to 3 finalists for Women's head coaching job. Two head coaches and one assistant. Jerry Finkbeiner Oral Roberts HC, Sunny Smallwood Nebraska asst. Seton Sobolewski Idaho State HC" --@SaltLakeMetro

Interesting - and perhaps not surprising. A part of me thinks Jerry would like to climb the ladder a bit before his career is over, another part of me thinks he'd like to be a lifer at ORU. I've heard rumors he's not happy about the conference change, but they're nothing more than that - rumors. It will be interesting to see if Jerry ends up elsewhere when the dust settles.

If so, it will be a great loss for ORU. He's been the perfect fit for us for a lot of years. If you leave you'll be missed, Jerry!

Question is, who would replace him? Probably would need to look no further than down the bench - Misti Cussen has HC written all over her. And before he joined the staff at ORU Bojan Jankovic served as HC at Centenary, so he already has head coaching experience. Seems like a natural fit to pick one of those two - unless they chose to follow Jerry. But with Misti's husband Kyle working for TU, I'd bet she'd stay here.

Scratching my head as to why Jerry is (according to reports) applying at marginally-lateral destinations such as North Texas and Utah State.

On the surface, it sure looks like a case of someone simply trying to get away. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

As for his replacement, Misti would sure seem the logical choice: experienced, capable, knows ORU better than anyone we could hire, and she's a really great person on top of everything. Can't imagine she's going with Jerry anywhere, considering Kyle's gig at TU. Looks like a no-brainer should Jerry make the move.

not sure how reliable the source is, but saw that he is a finalist for the job on twitter.

"Utah State is down to 3 finalists for Women's head coaching job. Two head coaches and one assistant. Jerry Finkbeiner Oral Roberts HC, Sunny Smallwood Nebraska asst. Seton Sobolewski Idaho State HC" --@SaltLakeMetro

Keep your fingers crossed that he gets it

Keep your fingers crossed that he gets it

LOL - well, since I've always suspected (feared?) that "jfusa90" might be none other than (wait for it...) Jerry Finkbeiner's own "nom de plume", I really don't even know how to respond to that!

I guess it would have to be: "Whatever makes Coach happy in the long run!" :hai:

Interesting - and perhaps not surprising. A part of me thinks Jerry would like to climb the ladder a bit before his career is over, another part of me thinks he'd like to be a lifer at ORU. I've heard rumors he's not happy about the conference change, but they're nothing more than that - rumors. It will be interesting to see if Jerry ends up elsewhere when the dust settles.

If so, it will be a great loss for ORU. He's been the perfect fit for us for a lot of years. If you leave you'll be missed, Jerry!

I've wondered if this is why both basketball coaches have been scrambling to go elsewhere this off season. Coach Finkbeiner has had a great run at ORU and I hope he stays, but it seems both he and Sutton are ready to move on.

Boy, I'm sure sorry to hear that. Have enjoyed Jerry's tenure at ORU. I wish him the best as he heads west - but hate to see him go.

Hate to see Jerry go. He is a great fit for the school and has done a good job over the years. If I remember correctly, he is originally from that part of the country so this makes a little more sense. I hope he does well at Utah State.

Wow!! Sorry to hear this, but am glad for Jerry. Utah State will provide some better funding for the women's basketball budget due to being a state school that has football (so gender equity will provide stronger dollars for that Tier-1 sport). Jerry will do fine there and hopefully he'll have fond memories of his time at ORU.

WOW!, I am completely in shock about the news! I have know Jerry, personally, for 25 years and know that he is a great individual with a great family! He and his family deserve nothing but the best! His parents live in Idaho, his youngest son, Ben, is a coach at Boise State, I believe his middle aged daughter lives or is moving to California. I believe he is ready to get closer to his family and pursue bigger and better things.

The only thing that leaves me scratching my head is the fact that he is leaving with what would probably be his best season next year at ORU, especially in a diminished Southland Conference (which probably played part in his decision)

I do believe that Misti does deserve the job and has the makings to be a fantastic head coach. All the girls know her, she knows all the recruits and knows the strengths and weaknesses of all the players. If Carter doesn't offer he the job, there is a screw loose in his head!

Good luck on your journey coach Fink!

We've gotten so spoiled by the longevity of our head coaches that something like this, so out of the blue, is quite a shocker.

Hard to quantify just what Jerry has meant to the women's basketball program at ORU - and to Athletics as a whole - during his tenure.

Suffice it to say he is EASILY the most accomplished women's basketball coach in ORU history, and he has done it with style and class. You always knew that Jerry was going to have a roster full of talented, hard-working players that were going to give their all.

And, if the style of play wasn't getting the job done, Jerry had the humility to go back to the drawing board and develop game plans that fit that talent. You always knew the Golden Eagles women's basketball team would be playing its best by the end of the year, and that's a testimony to good coaching.

I wish Jerry and his family nothing but the best as they embark on their new adventure - here's hoping we can play the Aggies on down the road some time!

Jerry will be missed. Many thanks to Jerry for so many great memories over the years. There are so many great players he was responsible for bringing through the program.

It is only a 4 hour drive from Logan, Utah to Boise, Idaho. I'm sure that may have factored into his decision.

I wish Jerry absolutely the best.

I expect that Misti will be the next coach.

It will be so strange not to see Jerry on the sidelines next year.

• Upvote 1

Fink had a good run but it's probably time to go.....sounds like he wasn't that happy......he's interviewed around the past few years....and last season was a big disappointment......yeah, I know injuries took some toll but Jerry didn't really adjust.....so.....Best of luck at USU......but hopefully ORU can hire a coach that can breathe some life into what is a pretty good bunch of players......it will be interesting to see who we get......maybe Tom Hankins is interested?..... :razz:

All you ask is that a coach runs a clean program and leaves it better than he/she found it. Coach Finkbeiner met both those goals and represented ORU well during his tenure. Thanks to Coach Finkbeiner and his family for the years they gave to ORU and best of luck at Utah State.

I agree that ORU should reward Coach Cussen with the head coaching job.

• Upvote 1

Good post, Alum....you are right about running a clean program and leaving it better than when he got here.....and it's no crime if Fink wants to move up the ladder a little bit and make a few more dollars for his family.......but now he has to deal with all those Mormons instead of the Pentecostals......... :-D

:$ Coach Fink was not only a excellent coach but an excellent person. Thank you Coach for a great number of years representing ORU . Thank you also for helping me when I chased a thrown ball in the stands and fell and broke some ribs. Those grandkids are worth it though! You were the first to me to see if I was OK. Thanks my friend and great success to you!

All you ask is that a coach runs a clean program and leaves it better than he/she found it.

Perfect.

BTW, Jerry's presser at Utah State is at noon (our time) on Thursday - here's the link.