Tom Hankins Leaving ORU; Joining Barry Hinson at SIU

Old Titan

Per Mike Brown at the Tulsa World on Twitter, long-time ORU assistant coach Tom Hankins has informed head coach (and brother-in-law) Scott Sutton that he will be joining Barry Hinson's staff at Southern Illinois as an assistant coach.

Tom has been a fixture on Scott's staff since Day 1. Hate to see him go, and I am sure no one is thrilled with this development, but would have to imagine things got a little awkward this past season with Sean Sutton and him sharing many of the same roles of a No. 1 Assistant.

This could end up being a great opportunity for Tom to make his own name away from the ORU/Sutton shadow.

Wishing Tom, Annie, and the kids nothing but love and best wishes as he makes the move up the ol' ladder!

thanks to Coach Hankins for many great years. he must have felt that Sean was next in line if/when Scott moves on.

any ideas on who might replace him on the staff?

Here's the "Breaking News" web version of the story that will appear in tomorrrow's Tulsa World:

Tom Hankins Leaving ORU For Barry Hinson's Staff At SIU

I wouldn't be surprised if the staff stayed right where it is now (with Tom leaving):

Sean Sutton - "No. 1 Assistant" (little bit of everything)

Conley Phipps - instruction and scouting (among other things)

Kyan Brown - recruiting and scheduling (among other things)

Steve Upshaw - basketball operations

Kyron Stokes - grad assistant

If anything, they might promote Upshaw to a "full contact" assistant coaching position and hire a new Director of Basketball Ops, but I bet that would be the extent of it, at least for this coming season.

I've enjoyed watching Tom & Anne's children grow up and the great roll models they are as a family. The time has gone quickly. Our prayers go with them as this new door opens.

This is a good opportunity for Tom and the decision did not come easily. I know he has greatly enjoyed his time at ORU and will always be rooting for them!

• Upvote 1

Tom has been a fixture on the ORU bench for so long that I can't imagine Golden Eagle basketball without him! Best of luck to him and his family as they move on to this new opportunity. I hope all goes well for him up there.

This is a tough loss for ORU....but best wishes to Tom and his family.....does this move along with Hinson as head coach open up the possibility that ORU and SIU could hook up in a home and home series during the next few years?..... :!:

Tom Hankins has been an integral part of our coaching staff and the success we have had on the basketball court. I am sorry to see him go - he will be missed. Who knows, maybe we will see Tom back on the ORU bench in a few years.

We will miss Tom (I already miss him). Tom served the men's basketball program like an assistant coach should and has been loyal to Scott and ORU throughout the years. This will be a good career move for Tom and he will land a HC job within the next three years if Barry is successful.

I feel badly for Kim and Annie, but I think that they understand the nature of the coaching business. If Scott had landed a job this season, the tables would have been turned and we would have been saying these same things about Scott and Kim. For ORU, our coaches are our family to those of us closely aligned with the program. We wish Tom and Annie the best and hope for their time away from Tulsa to be short and successful.

With Tom's departure, it will be interesting if any of the players will feel a need to consider alternatives. I know that the Obaseki family's relationship with Tom was a part of Kris' decision to come to ORU. I can't imagine anyone will leave now, but what about next summer?

Wow. Was surprised and sad to read this in the TW this morning. We have been very fortunate to have Tom for so long. He is a great person and has always been a stellar representative of the university. For the past several years I just assumed Tom would be the next head coach at ORU. He will be missed at many levels, and we wish him nothing but success as he jumps into the MVC with Coach Hinson.

Wow. Was surprised and sad to read this in the TW this morning. We have been very fortunate to have Tom for so long. He is a great person and has always been a stellar representative of the university. For the past several years I just assumed Tom would be the next head coach at ORU. He will be missed at many levels, and we wish him nothing but success as he jumps into the MVC with Coach Hinson.

Tom's chances at the ORU job when it (ever? LOL!) opens again may actually be enhanced by this move.

Similarly, don't we all now feel like Cory Williams is more qualified for the ORU gig (or any other head coaching job) specifically because he left town and went to OSU and FSU?

I commend Tom for what he's doing - if he truly wants to be a head coach some day, especially at any place other than ORU, I think a move like this was warranted.

And, if he had to go somewhere, what more comfortable situation to ease into than working for his old mentor Barry Hinson?

I'm sure it was a long day yesterday saying bye to everyone and cleaning out the office after 13 years. He has really enjoyed his time at ORU.

Always had a good relationship with Barry so it is a good situation for him. Hopefully they can get it turned around up there.

Of course today he is on the road recruiting. Not much down time at all.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure it was a long day yesterday saying bye to everyone and cleaning out the office after 13 years. He has really enjoyed his time at ORU.

Always had a good relationship with Barry so it is a good situation for him. Hopefully they can get it turned around up there.

For SIU?? Nothing like hitting the ground running if that's the case! Has he even had a chance to go to Carbondale yet?

Wow - so he's basically gone already?

Didn't expect him to be recruiting for us any longer, but kinda hoped I might see him around the office this week.

I was going to text him, but I suppose he may have already turned in his university cell phone, too!

Ah, Tom - 16 years, with all those lunchtime pick-up games at the Aerobics Center, and long hours at summer basketball camps, yet it still feels like we hardly knew ye... :-(