For Old Titan

tmh8286

Way better than the tone insensitive guy that performed in front of the championship game tonight. Way way better.

I love Marvin, but THIS?

Meh...

Give me Whitney's Super Bowl version any day: great tempo, just enough embellishment, and every single note spot-on:

it's almost like she's singing into a dead mic to a studio version she recorded a few days prior...absolutely amazing how she hits each note perfectly ;-)

• Upvote 1

So, was Carl Lewis not available last night?

What an odd music choice for a national championship game being played in New Orleans.

It's a hard song to sing, so they didn't/couldn't sing it right. It's a talent thing. You have to have it to sing it.

Can't believe they were the first choice - or even the second. My guess is that whoever made that choice is pursuing "other business interests".

I love Marvin, but THIS?

Meh...

Give me Whitney's Super Bowl version any day: great tempo, just enough embellishment, and every single note spot-on:

http://youtu.be/5jeUINzHK9o

You're absolutely right - great version. What an incredible talent - she sings that EFFORTLESSLY.

I thought about giving you this one, but there's just something about the Marvin Gaye verson that moves me.

Whitney was good but she lip synched.....so the edge goes to Marvin Gaye...... :up:

I have two questions about this:

Did these guys audition for this gig? Will we be looking back on this twenty years from now, like the ones above, for different reasons?

When I listened to it again, it didn't seem QUITE as bad as it did Monday night. Here's what the article said where I found the link:

"Denver-based pop band The Fray is getting lambasted in the press and on social media for its acoustic, Emo rendition of the “Star-Spangled Banner†at Monday night’s NCAA basketball title game.

The Houston Chronicle called the national anthem performance “dreadful.â€

“The Denver rock band tried to rework the 198-year-old song into a modern hipster version and failed in every respect,†wrote Yahoo! Sports.

Entertainment Weekly compared it to the Muppets classic “Rainbow Connection†in its criticism."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQXkqoJnIlg&feature=youtu.be

thanks for posting the anthem in question. it's a different take, but i kinda liked it.

Roseanne, Carl Lewis, and Steven Tyler (from this years NFL playoffs)-- those were bad national anthems.

I had not listened to it until now, after everyone told me how awful it was. I must say, nothing to see here. It was agreeably up-tempo. I hate it when it takes a singer twice as long as it should to sing the song.

I had not listened to it until now, after everyone told me how awful it was. I must say, nothing to see here. It was agreeably up-tempo. I hate it when it takes a singer twice as long as it should to sing the song.

Exactly. Although I can't say I enjoyed it, in their defense it was a bunch of young guys that have acheived a measure of success with that style of music. They were trying to do something different with the song, and at least they accomplished that. They may be shocked at the outpouring of negative publicity they've gotten, but on the other hand, in show business ANY publicity is good publicity, or so they say . . . :nerd:

I prefer that the singer/group singing the national anthem just sing the song as it is meant to be sung. But most can't because they don't have the talent. It seems that a lot of people are saying the real problem is that the guitarist messed up:

Nerves apparently got the better of Denver rock band the Fray during Monday night's performance of "The Star Spangled Banner" at the NCAA basketball championship in New Orleans. In an apparent attempt to explain his bungled notes, guitarist Joe King took to the band's official Twitter on Tuesday morning to admit defeat. "I'm going to ride home on the KU bus today," he said, referencing NCAA runner-ups Kansas. "My fingers froze last night. If anyone wants to join me I'll be at the loser bar tonight."

I just watched it for the first time.....honestly, I have seen much worse....this is their style of music....I certainly don't think The Fray sang the song with any disrespect....TheEagleman sort of liked it but I lean to the side that our National Anthem is not a song to be messed with and should always be sung with honor and respect basically the same way all the time.....not sure why these guys were selected.....better judgment should have been used.....but it's not the fault of The Fray.....they did what they do..... :nerd:

I just watched it for the first time.....honestly, I have seen much worse....this is their style of music....I certainly don't think The Fray sang the song with any disrespect....TheEagleman sort of liked it but I lean to the side that our National Anthem is not a song to be messed with and should always be sung with honor and respect basically the same way all the time.....not sure why these guys were selected.....better judgment should have been used.....but it's not the fault of The Fray.....they did what they do..... :nerd:

Agreed, eagleman. Key, like you say, is that they didn't intend any disrespect.

It Might have been better if the guitarists had tuned their guitars together. Sounded like they were 2 steps out of tune with the other.

Painful for a musisian to listen to.