Byford Named OK Small School POY

ORUTerry

Here is a story from OKHoops where they awarded Corbin Byford as their small school OK player of the year. I am anxious to see this kid play.

Link

• 1 month later...

Corbin just helped Velma-Alma to the Class A state championship in track & field this weekend in Oklahoma City, finishing 2nd in the high jump at 6'4", and defending his state title in the 400-meter run by over 2 seconds. V-A also won the 4x400-meter and 4x800-meter relays; with Corbin running the anchor in the 400, and the second leg of the 800.

Bottom line: the dude's quite an athlete. Pretty impressive for a guy his height (6'6") to win the 400, one of track's most grueling events, by such a wide margin - it's basically a sprint around the entire track!

Very impressive. The 400 meter is very tough. To win it by so much is also impressive. I am anxious to see this kid play. He could be a nice, versatile player.

Hopefully he's not a redshirt....is Byford a similar player to Jake Lliteras?.... :|

Corbin just helped Velma-Alma to the Class A state championship in track & field this weekend in Oklahoma City, finishing 2nd in the high jump at 6'4", and defending his state title in the 400-meter run by over 2 seconds. V-A also won the 4x400-meter and 4x800-meter relays; with Corbin running the anchor in the 400, and the second leg of the 800.

Bottom line: the dude's quite an athlete. Pretty impressive for a guy his height (6'6") to win the 400, one of track's most grueling events, by such a wide margin - it's basically a sprint around the entire track!

Sounds like he isn't going to have any problems running the court. :-D

Congrats to the lad on a fantasitc day of running and field events. Looking forward to him starting his summer school studies and seeing him on the AC courts.

I can't imagine that Corbin would be red-shirted. He is a freshman but we will need his energy and rebounding. Corbin could be the replacement for Michael Craion.

If he can play defense and rebound, Byford should see all the action he can handle, especially with Steven and Damen's propensity for foul trouble.

And if we were to redshirt anyone, I would imagine Jordan Kaufman would be a much more likely candidate.

Jake will spell Shawn Glover at the 3 and Warren at the 2, I would suppose.

OT - Why do you think Jordan Kaufman is a red-shirt candidate? I assumed that we could definitely use his height for rebounding and defense even if it took a while for his offensive game to come around. Do you suspect he just won't be ready for D-1 play?

OT - Why do you think Jordan Kaufman is a red-shirt candidate? I assumed that we could definitely use his height for rebounding and defense even if it took a while for his offensive game to come around. Do you suspect he just won't be ready for D-1 play?

Oh, I have no idea - never seen the kid play, nor have I heard anything.

But it's like you said: REALLY big guys like Jordan typically have a hard time making the adjustment to college basketball. The pace of the game, staying out of foul trouble, learning to play against guys close to their own size - it's quite a transition from high school!

I hope he can contribute, but you know our coaching staff: only 8 guys are going to see most of the playing time after Christmas, MAYBE nine. Why waste a year of his eligibility if he's only going to get mop-up time?

Here's who I suspect our "nine" will be*, roughly in order of playing time:

1. Shawn Glover

2. Warren Niles

3. Steven Roundtree

4. Damen Bell-Holter

5. Mikey Manghum

6. Jake Lliteras

7/8. Korey Billbury & A.J. Jackson

9. Corbin Byford

* unless we sign a juco point guard in the next few weeks - that would push either Billbury or Jackson out of the mix.

And, I know what folks are thinking after reading that: "Wow, there aren't many tall guys on the list."

To which I reply: you're right...

Big guys are usually much, much better in their senior year than they are in their freshman year. It would be helpful if we could have the 'luxury' of red-shirting Jorden Kaufman and give him time to develop. Not sure we/he will have that chance though.