2012-2013 Schedule - FINAL

Old Titan

I'm told there's little or no chance women's games will start any earlier than 5:00. There's even a slight possibility the girl's games would start as late as 5:30, with the men's game following thirty minutes after their conclusion, whenever that might actually fall (7:45? 8:00?).

I would imagine there will be a lot of internal discussion in Athletics in the coming weeks regarding game times. Would not expect the decision to become official until the full schedules are released in late summer.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• theeagleman5

• oruvoice

• ORUalum

TheEagleman always enjoyed the womens/mens DHs back when he was a student....I don't think I would have attended a lot of women's games in the afternoon and then come back at night for the men......then again, Kevi wasn't playing for ORU back then either.....just sayin'........ ;-)

Sometimes I wonder whether the Southland Conference is the panacea that we were all led to believe it would be. We're in it ... and were stuck, but I think that "all that glitters is not gold."

Personally, I liked the early afternoon women's game ... Then there was a Golden Eagles Club Dinner ... and then the Men's game. Now ... Where is the time for a dinner and the traditional "chalk talk" by the coaches? We can watch both games and eat luke-warm hot dogs at the concession stand for 16 home dates.

Is it just a cooincidence that we go to the Southland ... We lose our women's basketball head coach ... We lose our Assistant head coach for the men ... We lose our head coach for baseball to an assistants job ... Just before we get to take all those long bus trips to south Texas and Southern Louisiana to play a bunch of no-name teams with basketball RPI's in the 200's and 300's? Besides Lamar, there are a lot of teams that will not be drawing a big crowd into the Mabee Center! NW State University, Sam Houston State, SE Louisiana, Stephen F Austin, Texas A&M Corpus Christi, University of Central Arkansas ... What great places to travel to every year ... On a bus! And then when we add Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word to the league, that will really help out our RPI and recruiting! When we beat Incarnate Word twice during a season, how many positions do we lose in our RPI ... 100? Anyway, my lame point is, the Southland Conference is not very impressive to me. We dump the Summit Conference just when I was beginning to really like playing these schools!

Oh, well. Life goes on... There's lots to see in the greater frontier of south Texas...

There is no reason to believe the coaches wouldn't have done the same exact thing even if we were still in the Summit League:

• Jerry Finkbeiner had been applying for other jobs for years - he just finally got one.

• When practically every desirable men's basketball job within 500 miles either opened-and-shut over the past two seasons (TU, SMU, TCU, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Missouri State, Missouri, Creighton, Houston, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Colorado State), or, was locked up for the foreseeable future (Wichita State, Arkansas, Kansas), I think Tom Hankins realized he should get while the gettin' was good when old friend and mentor Barry Hinson offered a step up in pay and rank at Southern Illinois. Tom probably figured that Scott's evidently not going anywhere any time soon, that there's no guarantee he (Tom) would get the job over Sean Sutton if and when Scott DOES move, and that his own window of opportunity to become a head coach was closing with each passing season.

• We knew we might lose Rob Walton whenever OSU got around to firing Frank Anderson. Granted, we didn't think it would be as a pitching coach, but for reasons explained elsewhere, the move makes sense. It just stings...

Bottom line: I fail to see where our conference affiliation has anything to do with the timing of these moves. Just an unfortunate aligning of the stars.

And, I find it hard to believe that Scott and Misti would prefer to be facing several more years of trips to Sioux Falls in March with NCAA berths on the line, or that Ryan will miss April doubleheaders during snow storms in the Dakotas.

OT, you're probably right on the coaching changes ... They would have happened no matter what conference we were playing in...

In general though, I think some day we may look back on the days in the Summit Conference as "the good old days". They'll never be like the Midwestern Collegiate Conference (now Horizon League) in prestige, but the Southland just seems like "two steps back" ... not "one set forward". Just an opinion that I hope is wrong. Conference championships do help you forget the old days. 2012-13 should be a year for us to make an indelible mark on that conference as the quality team that everybody wants and needs to beat. Maybe someday I will get use to the annual showdown with Incarnate Word.

Summit League has little prestige even if the Southland has less (debatable) still have to win your conference tournament in either league. We have long bus trips to sites in the Summit League as well. It's going to be different but a lot will stay the same. What's the difference in an Incarnate Word or a Centenary every conference has bottom feeders. Very interesting all the coaching changes once they are lined up together, but as OT said I don't think affiliation played a part, but what about President and AD philosophy? They are probably saving a lot of money with conference moves and losing a few higher paid coaches and replacing them internally. Hope the new President has a good committment to athletics also.

We're not saving that much money: travel is still a bear to some of those Louisiana schools. But it should be easier travel, with fewer weather concerns in the winter months.

And at least we're playing in our own backyard, so to speak, when it comes to where our students and alumni live. We should be competing as much as possible in Texas - period.

And who would have dreamed a decade ago when we joined the "Mid-Con" that in 2011-12 our biggest rivals in men's basketball would be South and North Dakota State, and two-time defending champion Oakland? None of them were even in the league!

There's no telling what the Southland will look like in another decade - I just know that we should be a part of it.

We're not saving that much money: travel is still a bear to some of those Louisiana schools. But it should be easier travel, with fewer weather concerns in the winter months.

And at least we're playing in our own backyard, so to speak, when it comes to where our students and alumni live. We should be competing as much as possible in Texas - period.

And who would have dreamed a decade ago when we joined the "Mid-Con" that in 2011-12 our biggest rivals in men's basketball would be South and North Dakota State, and two-time defending champion Oakland? None of them were even in the league!

There's no telling what the Southland will look like in another decade - I just know that we should be a part of it.

Excellent. Have to say, sometimes I question the move myself; those are good points that really help legitimize it.

Whenever in doubt, about anything, just ask OT. He's not much to look at, but has a very large brain!

That's part of the reason he's not much to look at.

Ah, the comebacks that pop into my 7-7/8" melon from comments such as that.

Almost none of which are suitable for family viewing... :x

:rofl::-D:rofl: ....great stuff above.....TheEagleman says goodbye to the Summit and the freezing Dakotas......the Southland was a move ORU had to make......bring it on!..... :up:

• 4 weeks later...

So I guess that the official schedule should be announced just about any day now?..........

it's not the full schedule, but here is an additional date...

@ Arizona will be played on Dec 18th

ORU's non conference schedule will be daunting....TheEagleman is starting to sweat already..... :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: ......I guess no chance that we can sneak in a game with Arkansas-Pine Bluff somewhere along the way?..... :?:

• 2 weeks later...

So when is the 2012-13 schedule going to be officially unveiled?.....it must be getting near that time........... :nerd:

It's all done but the exhibition games. Also, there's still a question of whether we will be a road or home team in the BracketBuster game.

The conference schedule has been set, but hasn't been released to the public by any of the league schools yet. ORU has a tough stretch of road games at the beginning and at the end of conference play, but with a nice bunch of home games in the middle. Central Arkansas is our travel partner.

Once those details are ironed out, the schedule will be released - would imagine in the next two weeks or so.