Historic Day for March Madness

theeagleman5

We all know that a 16 seed has never defeated a 1 seed but It had been 11 years since a 2 seed had gone down to a 15 seed (Hampton over Iowa St. in 2001).....so how amazing is it that today....2nd seeded Mizzou comes up short against an inspired 15 seed from Norfolk St. in the late afternoon....then lowly 15 seed Lehigh from the hills of Bethlehem, PA stuns the mighty Duke Blue Devils....wow!.....bye bye Coach K.....don't think many of us will miss him at all.....then to top it off.....13 seed Ohio U. upsets Michigan of the Big Ten.....three low seeds all win on the same day!....and maybe more to come before midnight.....back to the TV for TheEagleman..... :nerd:

Observations from the Tournament:

1) It was fun seeing a couple of 2-seeds get knocked off yesterday, and it was a great illustration of the reason all teams want to get to the tournament: if you can just get there, you never know what will happen. Numerous upsets already.

2) I didn't see the Missouri/Norfolk State game, but I enjoyed watching Lehigh beat Duke. I was cheering them wildly and griping at every power-conference type comment that Clark Kellogg made, although as a rule I really like Clark, and for years thought with his expertise he would be better courtside - the network finally read my mind. Was really glad (for his sake, because he seems like a good guy) to see his son's Ohio team knock off fluorescent-yellow Michigan.

3) I don't watch a lot of basketball other than ORU, but I do watch some, and there's something I've noticed during the tournament that I've not noticed before - none of the refs are using the traditional hand-behind-the-head signal to indicate a charge. They're all punching a fist, not unlike they do after calling a foul on a shot that goes in, only without the other arm extended up. Is that the norm now and I've just missed it?

4) The Summit League's own Lamont Simpson - he who refuses to call a foul on any opponent of ORU -- EVER - called the Xavier/Notre Dame game last night. How did they get so lucky?

5) It seems like every game I've watched, even those involving big programs, have had a LOT of empty seats. I'll be curious to see how attendance figures are for this year, because it sure SEEMS to be down.

6) Here again, maybe because I don't watch a lot of basketball I haven't had a chance to see Charles Barkley play nice all that much - I usually think of him as prickly and abrasive - but he's actually been rather charming as part of the studio crew. He's even poked a little fun at himself both on the set and in some of the commercials their airing. Actually, I like all the guys in the studio - I enjoy their banter.

7) Twice there have been "lane violation" calls based on players outside the three point line rushing in for the rebound before the shot goes up, which apparently is considered a lane violation. I never heard that rule before, but it makes sense - unlike OT's tip-the-ball-out-of-bounds-but-still get-it-back rule he came up with a few days ago. ;-)

TheEagleman thought at the end of the Norfolk St.-Mizzou that this would be the most exciting game of the tournament....and argueably it has been.....but then just a few hours later comes Lehigh-Duke and that one may have topped it.....hard to say but both were priceless......Saturday so far has been like Thursday....rather boring and all the favorites winning.....Sunday could be very interesting......by the way....TheEagleman just finished watching Hoosiers with his 6 and 9 yr old grandsons....they loved it....I told them at the beginning to count the missed shots by Jimmy Chitwood.....they counted 5......lol.......... :nerd:

Watching Lehigh bear Duke was great!

Loved to have been on Lehigh's campus today!!

Another Summit League ref makes an appearance in the Big Dance - Gerry Pollard is officiating the Kentucky/Iowa State game. He appears to be on his best behavior - where is that when he's at Mabee Center?

NC State send another top seed packing in Georgetown....so that's an 11 seed headed to the 2nd weekend....tonight either 13 seed Ohio or 12 seed So. Florida will also move on since they play each other.....Cinderella Norfolk State brought back to reality by Florida.....can Lehigh beat Xavier?.....maybe.....but probably not....whichever wins....another double digit seed going to the sweet 16...... :nerd:

Good to see both Xavier and Cincinnati bounce back from their brawl to make the Sweet 16. |(

Food for thought. the State of Ohio has four (4) teams in the Sweet 16 - OSU, Ohio, Cincy and X. If you add in their border states (Kentucky - UK & Louisville, Indiana - Indiana, and Michigan - MSU) exactly one-half of the remaining field is from the same general region.

Good to see both Xavier and Cincinnati bounce back from their brawl to make the Sweet 16. |(

:-D

I hated watching the Noles go down to Cincinnati last night, but FSU just fell apart in the final minute. Kind of like Notre Dame did against Xavier earlier in the weekend.

This has been one of the most mediocre NCAA tournaments I can remember. 52 games so far, and not one overtime game. Not one buzzer-beater. A LOT of low scores, missed point-blank stick-backs, too many timeouts, missed free throws, bad turnovers late, and airballs at the horn. A combination of diminished skills and overcoaching.

Gone are the days of shooting 60% from the field. Remember when Villanova beat Georgetown by shooting something like 85% for the game? Never again. Now we're impressed if anyone hits two consecutive free throws.

This has been one of the most mediocre NCAA tournaments I can remember. 52 games so far, and not one overtime game. Not one buzzer-beater. A LOT of low scores, missed point-blank stick-backs, too many timeouts, missed free throws, bad turnovers late, and airballs at the horn. A combination of diminished skills and overcoaching.

Gone are the days of shooting 60% from the field. Remember when Villanova beat Georgetown by shooting something like 85% for the game? Never again. Now we're impressed if anyone hits two consecutive free throws.

One thing that has caught my attention is how many "grinders" there have been. The interesting thing is, the "slow it down" teams seem to be able to do it even against quality opponents - look at MSU vs. St. Louis yesterday. I think the score was in the 40s till the final minute or two. Amazing.

There have been several that came down to the final shots at the buzzer, though, OT. Those final shots just haven't gone in.

The combination of FSU's tough defense and Cincinnati's ugly Big East offense made that game pretty unwatchable.

But, yeah, not a lot of pretty basketball being played in any of these games really. Georgetown started their parade of offense/defense subs with like 5 mins left in their game against NC State.

Lol, now I just get mad when I see Xavier play. Maybe it's because I don't think they're good enough to be in the Sweet 16. Or maybe it's because Xavier decided to turn into gangsters (but not thugs) and sabotaged our chance to beat them at full strength. And all we got was the lousy distinction of being the first team to beat Xavier*.

*short-handed

TheEagleman agrees....except for a couple of exciting games on Friday....this tournament has been a real snoozer....lots of bad basketball.....I am thinking with a little luck maybe ORU could have won the whole darn thing....... ;-)

Two more Summit League refs make appearances in the NCAA Tournament:

Terry Wymer in the Baylor vs. Xavier game

Kelly Self in the Kansas vs. Ohio game

If anybody beats Kentucky....TheEagleman will be more than a little surprised.....they look really good....best team money can buy for Calipari...... :nerd: