ORU to WNIT virtually a done-deal?

Old Titan

Rob Walden, Assistant Media Relations Director, has been Tweeting this afternoon that the WNIT extends an AUTOMATIC bid to the 2nd-place team in the conference, or to the regular season champion if they get upset in the conference tournament.

In other words, if No. 1 SDSU wins the Summit League tournament and goes to the NCAA's, No. 2 ORU gets the WNIT automatic bid.

If SDSU loses along the way, then they get the WNIT bid instead.

So, assuming SDSU wins as expected, ORU's season is probably NOT over.

Unless, of course, they decline the bid...

I've never heard of that before. I would be very pleasantly surprised if that is true. Then again, Rob Walden should know what he is talking about. I think SDSU is a virtual lock to win the tournament, so we should be in a good spot it that is true.

According to Walden, ORU is listed as a road team on most projections, but you never know: we proved last year to be good place to host games; hopefully that means something.

if i remember right, ORU was on the road for the first game and at home for the next two last year.

Its not excactly obvious, considering the high expectations for our season this year. Alot of times teams that had high expectations but fell short of the NCAA tournament, will decline N.I.T. bids.

Its not excactly obvious, considering the high expectations for our season this year. Alot of times teams that had high expectations but fell short of the NCAA tournament, will decline N.I.T. bids.

So you think it is possible that they accept the bid to the NIT, but don't end up going? :nod::shake:

No im not saying that, im saying, j.j. may have insiders or something, that have told him they ill accept. Then also has it been 100% confirmed that they will accept?

I can't think of any reason why ORU would turn down an NIT bid. Extra practice time, extra playing time, the opportunity to not end the season on a very sour note with a quarterfinal loss to WIU, a chance to win a few games and maybe get on a roll, etc.

Maybe they wont, but sometimes at the end of a year that ends in dissapointment, teams will turn down the N.I.T. Now, nowhere have i said ORU would, but if they did, it wouldnt suprise me at all. But, i have no clue what we will do.

Daboss, ORU has already accepted the WNIT bid, girls had practice yesterday! Hopefully ALL the girls will show up ready to play and not worry about what they are doing for spring break!!!

Maybe they wont, but sometimes at the end of a year that ends in dissapointment, teams will turn down the N.I.T. Now, nowhere have i said ORU would, but if they did, it wouldnt suprise me at all. But, i have no clue what we will do.

Just as Doug Wojcik did this year (He didn't really turn it down, he said in advance they wouldn't go) - I remember Eddie Sutton doing that years ago at OSU when they had a less than stellar season.

I MAY be able to understand it when a big-time program does it, either feeling they underachieved, were under-appreciated, don't want to award players that have under-performed. But I sure don't see a mid-major program choosing that option, especially in the context of "we're too big for the NIT - it's the Big Dance or nothing for this team."

The NIT provides teams and fans with extra games, extra fun, and extra excitement. I'd sure hate to see one of our coaches turn down the opportunity to play in the NIT.