ORU to WNIT virtually a done-deal?

Old Titan

WCU will be slightly favored - better RPI and at home. ....However when ORU is on, they can beat anyone in the WNIT.

WCU doesn't appear to be a great post team. They rely on guard play (Diamond & Langster). There should be a lot of scoring opportunities for the ORU post players. I look for a big game from Jordon.

I hope we get some fans to make the trip.

• Upvote 1

Here is the WNIT seeding and 1st round matches for the ORU region. Doesn’t make much sense when compared to RPI. I have put each team’s RPI in [ ]. Looks like Nova should be the cream of this region.

1 Illinois State [100] vs. 16 Central Mich. [132]

8 Villanova [40] vs. 9 American [143]

5 South Dakota [87] vs. 12 Drake [137]

4 Colorado [114] vs. 13 N. Colorado [110]

6 Wichita St. [111] vs. 11 Oral Roberts [116]

3 Oklahoma St. [69] vs. 14 Central Arkansas [90]

7 Missouri St. [56] vs. 10 UMKC [150]

2 Memphis [80] vs. 15 Chattanooga [59]

Two issues with what you did there.

1 - Those 1-16 seeds you came up with don't exist. The WNIT doesn't seed teams like that.

2 - The WNIT focuses more on proximity than quality when matching teams up, especially in the first round. You go into the tournament knowing that the brackets are very unbalanced when it comes to the quality of the participants.

I agree with some of what you say. The seeds (maybe a better term is position in the bracket) still represents the pairings. The 1 vs. 16 position will still play the 8 vs. 9 etc. etc as they progress through the brackets. The RPI gives an indication of where the NCAA ranks the teams and gives us something interesting to look at.

The WNIT wants the brackets balanced with the best teams making the sweet 16/final four/championship. Regarding regional - If you look at the top half of the bracket - those teams are not geographically very close together. Round two for them will require some serious travel. The bottom half looks good.

Even in the bottom half of the bracket, based on RPI, OSU shouldn't be playing CA in the first round. Not much travel distance difference if OSU were playing ORU or WSU in the first round. Probably the bigger factor is the $$$ guaranteed by the hosting teams.

That all being said - how do you like the bracket? How far do you thing ORU will go?

The teams in the upper half of the bracket have long travel distances because they're out West. It comes with the territory. There's only one or two teams that are outliers and playing out of region. Almost everything is regional.

I'm telling you, the pairings have nothing to do with team quality. It's entirely proximity.

BB - Don't know what your looking at Nova is in PA and American is in DC. That is out east!!!!

I know where Villanova and American are. I acknowledged that there were some outliers and almost everything is regional. Go back and read it for yourself.

Even the Nova vs. American winner wouldn't have to make a significant trip west until the 3rd round. At which point you could also have teams from Virginia going to Florida and teams from Oregon going to Utah. Obviously the regional ties are going to grow weaker as teams are eliminated.

Sorry to see the Lady Golden Eagles lost to WSU. Interesting in that had they won their next game would have been in Stillwater versus Okie State. Oh well, congratulations on a good season and best of luck next year.

GO EAGLES!