Summit Tourney

Holtontulsa

valiant comeback but oru to far in the hole. alot of work to do for these girls. w ill attempted 19 more free throws

Well....the day gets off to an embarrassing start as ORU gets rolled, 83-71 by sub-.500 Western Illinois.....Coach Fink has some explaining to do after this one.....no reason for ORU to go out in round 1...looks like the ladies were totally unprepared to play today when they come out and score 16 first half points and fall behind by 20..........let's hope the men put on a much better perfomance tonight....TheEagleman is very disappointed at this one televised nationally on FCS..... :puke:

Final 83-71, Western.

Cut it to 7 with 5:00 to go, but no timeouts left by then and too many fouls piled up.

Honestly, I wondered if there might be something seriously wrong with this team back in December, when they managed to lose at home to a Grambling State team that had FORTY turnovers.

Don't know if we'll ever find out what went wrong with this bunch, but there is no way their conference tournament should have ended like this.

Eagleman, coach fink doesn't have to explain anything to anyone..... The girls shot 20% in the first half, it isn't like he can go out the and make shots for them.. Western Ill put together some solid defense, hit some tough shots and won the game. Our girls scored 55 points in the second half I think. The reason there was such a large discrep in free throws was due to us having no timeouts with almost 5 min left and we had to foul to stop the clock! Jordan put in some sick effort in the second half, it was great to see her fight to try and play another day!

Jaci fouling out with 7 minutes didn't help either, we certainly missed her down the stretch!!! I am as proud as ever of these girls, they got behind and the NEVER gave up, they fought through it and came up on the short end!! What else can you ask for!!!!

Maybe we will get invited to the NWIT or whatever they call that other tourney! Would be great to get some post season play of some sorts!!!!

I don't mean the WNIT, there is another tourney for teams that didn't go there

Sorry, Jonesy.....Coach Fink certainly DOES have to explain why his team came up small in yet another Summit League Tournament opener....this team underachieved most of the season.....OT makes a great point about about losing to Grambling on our home floor....GRAMBLING???.....the whole season was pretty weak....much more was expected of this squad and we have one of the best players in the nation in Kevi Luper.....the team has bombed in big games for most of three seasons now.....Mr. Finkbeiner needs to provide some answers for another flat performance...... :fubar:

what do you mean came up short in another summit league opener??? They beat the hell outta WIU last year in the first round! Finkbeiner doesn't have to explain anything to anyone (you of all people)

ORU has lost in the opener twice in the past 3 yrs....and last year lost in the 2nd round.....seems you are satisfied with mediocrity or less......ultimately in sports, it's the coach who has to explain for his players' poor performance....we got rolled today by a team with a sub .500 record who totally dominated the first half.....not the first time we have seen this scenerio this season....TheEagleman has admittedly only seen the team play a few times this year on TV.....but we've come up small a lot despite lots of upperclass talent.....there seems to be a problem here.....I am sure many of the others on this board are as discouraged as me....I was thinking that this team would at least make the finals and secure an NIT berth....now I am not so sure they will even get to the NIT.....not trying to blame the coach 100% here but he's the guy who has to explain why another season has ended in total disappointment......I was just hoping for a little more, my friend..... :-(

In this 3 year time frame. ORU women in the summit tourney, have went like this 3 years ago to yest. 3 years ago lost in the finals of summit in ot to SDSU. 2 years ago lost in 2nd round to Oakland. This year got shocked in the first round by WIU. I woke up this morning and it dosent feel right, i feel like im in shock right now. Just so weird to see em loose first round.

Details....Details....bottom line...we have lost in the tournament several years in a row with the talent to win....we haven't......you are a real class act, JJ.....glad we are on the same side....I'd hate to see what you would call me if I was a fan of another team....just grow up..... :*

• Upvote 1

It is really tough when Pyle is hurt, Carver has limitations and Balla is a freshman dealing with a lot of pressure who has had to transition to the American style of basketball as well as having somewhat of a language barrier. If you can't establish some type of post game, then you run the risk of having a 1st half like they had. I wouldn't blame Coach Finkbeiner for poor coaching because I think he has proven that he is a good coach. The coaching staff does however bear responsibility for the post players that they currently have on the roster.

Pyle played with heart and played through an injury. I feel for the players and coaching staff because they had such high expectations. Somehow, rather through recruiting some more post players or developing existing ones (or both!!) they have to strengthen the post game in order to increase the team consistency and prevent opponents from simply keying on Kevi.

Eagleman, just get the facts next time before you make yourself look stupid!

I saw all except one game this year. This team has been fun to watch; unfortunately they have had some flat first halfs’ and that caught them here. I agree with JJ - don't blame the coach for poor shooting, especially missed bunny shots and missed open 3s. We are all disappointed, probably no one more than the Jordon, Georgia & Dom who will never experience an NCAA Tournament.

The WNIT selects the highest ranking team from each conference that does not get selected for the NCAA Tourney. The ladies will be guaranteed a WNIT spot if SDS wins the tournament. So for the first time ever - I say "go SDS".

I think everyone is disappointed in the outcome of the tournament. It was a huge shot to the gut even after losing some of the regular season games that really should have been wins. The shooting in the 1st half was atrocious - I'm not sure I have seen the ladies this cold at one time and for that long of a stretch of time. There was some serious toughness shown in the 2nd half. They have nothing to be ashamed about. Just a tough way to end the season.

Something that I noticed throughout the season is lack of ball movement. To an extent, that is somewhat understandable being more of a run-and-gun offense. However, if the fast break or immediate shot isn't there immediately, you have to be able to move the ball around for a good shot to develop. The teams that were better at that were the teams that ORU struggled with throughout the season.

ORU had the better talent on the court at the tournament and in the league for that matter. They just couldn't put it together.

By the way Eagleman - 3 years ago ORU was hosed by two very questionable calls in the last minute or they would have beat SDS for the championship. Last year ORU had to play w/o a healthy Bingham. They used a backup (PC) with very little experience or previous playing time at the all important point guard position.