Pat Knight Throws His Seniors Under The Bus

Old Titan

it's a good rant, but he needed a hook. there were no "i'm a man, i'm forty" or "i was given this by a mother -- of children" type lines.

Wonder how Senior Night will go over at Lamar? :doh:

The best part of that clip is Knight's first line, addressed off-camera to the player at the microphone: "Alright, let's go - I'm next. Because you don't have a clue about what it takes to win."

Pat Knight is barely a step above Matt Doherty.

I bet I could out coach Pat Knight.

Pat Knight is barely a step above Matt Doherty.

I bet I could out coach Pat Knight.

Oh, I like Pat Knight.

And I think he can coach.

It's not like Billy Gillispie took his players at Texas Tech and started winning.

I just don't know if he relates well to players - it's his way, or the highway.

Kind of like his dad...

Everything I was going to say about that clip you guys have already said - except maybe the line about at Indiana a kid that played like these did would get a forearm against the throat, get slammed agianst a locker and be told it wouldn't be tolerated. That was classy.

I guess that's what losing to Stephen F. Austin - AT HOME - does to a coach!

, , , I certainly know what losing ot SFA on the ROAD does to a FAN! ;-)

Wow! Coach, tell us what you really think...

I liked his quote about having a bunch of "tin men" on the team because his players have no heart.

Sounds like he can't wait for next year to get here. On a selfish note, with ORU joining the Southland next year, Lamar is normally one of their best programs but they will be very young and inexperienced next year based on losing 6 "worthless" seniors and for some reason having 8 new scolarship players. The team leading the Southland right now, UTA, won't even be in the conference next year. This sounds like a great opportunity for ORU to step in and and be successful right from the start.

Pat is a chip off the old block.....sounds like he can't wait for the season to end and be rid of these guys.....I wonder if any potential recruits were scared off by that rant.....honesty is a good policy but not sure if he had to go on and on like that.....TheEagleman doesn't know enough about the situation to really say.....but that certainly was an entertaining 8 minutes..... :nerd:

Wow. Close your eyes while listening to that and you see ol Bobby all over again. Chip off the old block.

That could motivate, or it could backfire.

I like a bit of honesty, but 5+ minutes of that. . . Bit too much.

Even if it was intended to motivate, it was WAY too personal. He's lucky if they don't just walk off and leave him looking stupid.

Of course, I really don't know all that's going in there, just like in the situation at UMKC on another thread. There may be a lot more to the story than a one-time outburst.

knight admits he did not deserve Tech job...

Pat Knight Stands by His Rant (WSJ)

“I didn’t deserve it,†he said. “What am I doing with my first job in the Big 12? But it ended up being a great lesson for me.â€

Knight said he’s happy working at a mid-major school and that he doesn’t think the grass is greener in a Bowl Championship Series conference. “You could never pay me to go up to the next level,†he said.

Not surprised to find this discussion among the topics here.

For those of you who feel like these comments were too harsh you don't fully understand the context of what has gone on this year in our program and what our last coach left behind.

Knight has suspended a player for drugs, several players for being uncoachable, late to practice etc. One player has been removed from the team for academics etc. This has all been this year. Our last coach left alot of problems that Knight has not tolerated, but some of the problems have persisted and so after taking every private disciplinary issue he could he pursued this route. The game before we played SFA Knight suspended one player for missing the bus and benched 3 more for missing the shoot around.

Every Lamar fan I have spoke to agrees that Knight was justified in doing this once to get these players attention. They have since gone on to apologize to Knight, and play two spectacular and inspired games of basketball. These guys did not think this criticism was too tough, if they did they would have folded over a refused to ever play for him again.

Knights comments were not intended to shift responsibility for the loss from himself to the players, he has admitted he isn't perfect just like anyone else. So yes there is alot more to the story than a one time outburst.

Right now we're 19-11 going into our final game of the season. Last year we were 13-17 with the same players and a much easier schedule.

Well said, CardAmbassador.

Our head coach Scott Sutton and his brother/assistant coach Sean Sutton are really tight with Pat Knight: he gave us a home-and-home series when he didn't have to at Texas Tech, and he was very complimentary of ORU when we joined the Southland last fall.

I have no doubt ORU and Lamar will quickly become rivals in the Southland - especially if those coaches stay put for a couple of more years.

We obviously don't know the details of what is going on with that team - and I don't necessarily begrudge Pat Knight for his calling the players out. I was just surpised that he would do it. In this day and age, most coaches would say these things behind closed doors. It looks like he needed to publicly shame these seniors to get their attention.