Summit League Tournament Pairings

ORUTerry

Great points Eagleman. It looks like the matchups will favor ORU while SDSU and Oakland may have some tough matchups and will have to beat each other up in the semifinals.

Yes, it's all good for ORU right now........IPFW is at UMKC on Saturday night...winner draws ORU and an almost certain quick exit from the tournament.....if things play out as planned....it appears first round games will be ORU vs. IPFW or UMKC......SDSU vs. IUPUI or SUU....Oakland vs IUPUI/SUU.....and NDSU vs. WIU........If it goes this way.....Oakland who is hot will likely have to face IUPUI, SDSU and ORU......an OU vs. SDSU semi is a total war....I like that.....ORU in the drivers seat......but we won't get detailed until the total picture is 100% set late Saturday night....the ORU at SUU game could still affect seeding for the T-Birds..... :nerd:

SDSU is looking at a tough road in the Summit tournament, IUPUI and Oakland are both playing really well.

They certainly seem to be up to the task at this point . . .

The two hottest teams in the league right now are Oakland and IUPUI.

IUPUI's only loss since January is to ORU in overtime on a buzzer-beater, while Oakland has won four straight in conference and played well at Illinois State in the BracketBuster.

And if the season ended today, SDSU would (presumably) have to get past both of them to reach the finals.

The Jags play at South Dakota State Saturday night in what could be a preview of the No. 2-No. 7 conference tournament 1st-round game.

If I was IUPUI, I would play it very close to the vest and not show a thing. If you lose by 20, it just sets up a revenge factor for next Saturday's game in Sioux Falls, and could make the Jacks complacent in the re-match (ie. the USD return game in Vermillion.

Of course, if SDSU loses to IUPUI this seekend, it might* push the Jags into the No. 6 spot and give the Jacks a first-round match-up with the Thunderbirds. Can't see Nagy "throwing" a home game, though - not on Senior Night.

But, if WE were to lose in Cedar City at the same time, it COULD* cement an IUPUI-SDSU first-round game.... ;-)

* "Might" and "could" - instead of "will" and "would" - due to slight possibility of Western, Southern, and IUPUI all finishing in an 8-10 knot, at which point I have neither the time nor the patience to figure out who plays whom in Sioux Falls. Scenario for the 3-way tie to happen: currently 8-9 Western loses at NDSU, currently 7-10 IUPUI wins at SDSU, ORU wins at currently 8-9 SUU.

Okay, here's an interesting scenario for you:

If WIU beats NDSU tomorrow and SUU beats ORU, then WIU, NDSU, and SUU are tied for the 4-5-6 seeds, all at 9-9. Also, they would each be 2-2 in the head-to-head matchups, with WIU sweeping NDSU, NDSU sweeping SUU, and SUU sweeping WIU. I believe the tiebreaker then looks at their records against teams from the top of the league down, meaning SUU's win over ORU would give them 4th. Then the remaining head-to-head goes to WIU, since they swept NDSU. This would put NDSU as the 6 seed, and out of our side of the bracket completely.

So, since WIU-NDSU starts an hour before our game, if WIU happens to win and our game is close going down the wire, should we let SUU win? I'm kidding of course, but it would be a silver lining.

The two hottest teams in the league right now are Oakland and IUPUI.

IUPUI's only loss since January is to ORU in overtime on a buzzer-beater, while Oakland has won four straight in conference and played well at Illinois State in the BracketBuster.

And if the season ended today, SDSU would (presumably) have to get past both of them to reach the finals.

The Jags play at South Dakota State Saturday night in a preview of the No. 2-No. 7 conference tournament 1st-round game.

If I was IUPUI, I would play it very close to the vest and not show a thing. If you lose by 20, it just sets up a revenge factor for next Saturday's game in Sioux Falls, and could make the Jacks complacent in the re-match (ie. the USD return game in Vermillion.

I agree that IUPUI is one of the hotter teams in the League however they have lost plenty of games since January. They lost to IPFW, Oakland, SUU, ORU, USD, UMKC, and WIU. As a matter of fact their only win in January was an OT win vs. UMKC at the Jungle on Jan. 3. They have been hot since Feb. 1.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/85/iupui-jaguars

Okay, here's an interesting scenario for you:

If WIU beats NDSU tomorrow and SUU beats ORU, then WIU, NDSU, and SUU are tied for the 4-5-6 seeds, all at 9-9. Also, they would each be 2-2 in the head-to-head matchups, with WIU sweeping NDSU, NDSU sweeping SUU, and SUU sweeping WIU. I believe the tiebreaker then looks at their records against teams from the top of the league down, meaning SUU's win over ORU would give them 4th. Then the remaining head-to-head goes to WIU, since they swept NDSU. This would put NDSU as the 6 seed, and out of our side of the bracket completely.

So, since WIU-NDSU starts an hour before our game, if WIU happens to win and our game is close going down the wire, should we let SUU win? I'm kidding of course, but it would be a silver lining.

What about Oakland? They are #4 right now.

I agree that IUPUI is one of the hotter teams in the League however they have lost plenty of games since January. They lost to IPFW, Oakland, SUU, ORU, USD, UMKC, and WIU. As a matter of fact their only win in January was an OT win vs. UMKC at the Jungle on Jan. 3. They have been hot since Feb. 1.

http://espn.go.com/m...5/iupui-jaguars

don't poke the bear 89rabbit...

it's obvious he meant since the end of january

Consider the bear poked:

"SINCE" January means "AFTER JANUARY 31ST", for our apparently non-English speaking friends up north.

Just like if you said, "I haven't been drunk since Fat Tuesday", it means you were drunk on Fat Tuesday, but haven't been SINCE.

I said IUPUI has "only lost once since January". It means they may have lost IN January, but only one time SINCE.

You are right, my bad. Not enough coffee this morning I guess.

I seriously doubt there's enough caffeine in all the Upper Plains to cure some folks. |-)

After seeing the scores from yesterday, is it too late to change my vote from wanting Oakland in the semi's? Or IUPUI for that matter...seems like they've finally woken up. Really surprising that they got that far back in the first place.

And if SDSU, NDSU, Oakland and IUPUI all find themselves on the same side of the bracket, I wouldn't be too mad at that either.