Summit League Tournament Pairings

ORUTerry

I know we will have the final pairings for the Summit League tournament after this Saturday, but it is interesting to see what the possibilities are. The current conference rankings (leaving out South Dakota who are not eligible) are:

1. ORU (this is set)

2. SDSU (this is set)

3. NDSU at 9-7

4. Oakland at 9-7

5. Western Illinois at 8-8

6. Southern Utah at 8-9

7. IUPUI at 6-10

8. IPFW at 4-12

9. UMKC at 4-12

If these rankings hold, ORU will play IPFW in the first game and if they win - will play the winner of NDSU and Southern Utah. SDSU will play IUPUI and if they win - play the winner of Oakland and Western Illinois.

Thursday's games:

IUPUUI at NDSU

Western Illinois at SDSU

Oakland at UMKC

IPFW at South Dakota

Saturday's games:

ORU at Southern Utah

Western Illinois at NDSU

IUPUI at SDSU

IPFW at UMKC

Oakland at South Dakota

I know we will have the final pairings for the Summit League tournament after this Saturday, but it is interesting to see what the possibilities are. The current conference rankings (leaving out South Dakota who are not eligible) are:

1. ORU (this is set)

2. SDSU (this is set)

3. NDSU at 9-7

4. Oakland at 9-7

5. Western Illinois at 8-8

6. Southern Utah at 8-9

7. IUPUI at 6-10

8. IPFW at 4-12

9. UMKC at 4-12

If these rankings hold, ORU will play IPFW in the first game and if they win - will play the winner of NDSU and Southern Utah. SDSU will play IUPUI and if they win - play the winner of Oakland and Western Illinois.

Thursday's games:

IUPUUI at NDSU

Western Illinois at SDSU

Oakland at UMKC

IPFW at South Dakota

Saturday's games:

ORU at Southern Utah

Western Illinois at NDSU

IUPUI at SDSU

IPFW at UMKC

Oakland at South Dakota

No I think you have this one wrong.

#1 ORU plays #8 IPFW

#2 SDSU plays #7 IUPUI

#3 NDSU plays #6 SUU

#4 OU plays #5 WIU

#1 or #8 plays #4 or #5

#2 or #7 plays #3 or #6

So if the all favorites win the Semi-finals would be

ORU vs Oakland

SDSU vs. NDSU

http://www.thesummit...CRIBER_CONTENT=

Brackets

http://www.thesummit...?DB_OEM_ID=3900

Rabbit has it right.

Although, if Oakland and NDSU finish with the same conference record, who has the tie-breaker between those two?

Personally, I would prefer NDSU in the semi's.

Rabbit has it right.

Although, if Oakland and NDSU finish with the same conference record, who has the tie-breaker between those two?

Personally, I would prefer NDSU in the semi's.

NDSU holds the tie-breaker. They beat Oakland both times. I too wold prefer NDSU.

NDSU holds the tie-breaker. They beat Oakland both times. I too wold prefer NDSU.

Both teams seems poised for a final weekend sweep. Oakland with the easier opponents, but on the road. The Bison have a little tougher opponents, but both at home...

I would prefer Oakland to NDSU in the semi's, but either will be a stern test if we are fortunate enough to get there ourselves.

And, don't count UMKC out of the mix just yet - I think no matter what happens in their Thursday night game with Oakland, they can be the 8th place team if they beat IPFW Saturday at home on Senior Night.

I would take Oakland and let NDSU/SDSU play for the third time. In that scenario, there's no guarantee that the Griz even beat WIU. But I agree, the semi's will be a battle no matter what.

I think I would prefer to face NDSU in the semifinals instead of Oakland. They are both good teams, and NDSU probably plays a little bit stronger defense than Oakland, but Reggie Hamilton has the potential to go off at any time and be basically unguard-able. If we had to play Oakland while he was "in the zone" I'm not sure that our current 3-point shooting average of around 20% over the last 6 games or so would allow us to keep up.

Of course, we are also playing better defense than we were earlier in the year, but all four of the games against NDSU/Oakland were tough battles that were in doubt until the last minute or so.

Let me ask this question: Which of those 2 teams (NDSU/Oakland) would have the best chance to upset SDSU in the 2nd round?

No guarantee we still won't draw IUPUI in the first round....TheEagleman wants no parts of them after the OT game we almost lost to them at Mabee two weeks ago....the Jags could lose a pair this weekend and get thrust back into a 7th and 8th place tie breaker with IPFW and/or UMKC.....anything could happen with tiebreakers....we will have to wait until late saturday night to sort things out..... :sweat:

I prefer NDSU, Oakland puts up a lot of points. Plus if NDSU is the 3 seed, how many times have we seen the 6 upset the 3?

Hey, don't assume Oakland will make it past Western Illinois or Southern Illinois in the 4/5 match-up. That game will be all about who controls the tempo.

Anything could happen for sure...but it will still be a major surprise if it's not ORU vs. SDSU in the finals......that's the rubber match that we all want to see.....bring it on!...... :clap:

Eagleman makes a good point. What scares me is that for having such a stellar season, the Golden Eagles struggled at IPFW, and IUPUI took them to overtime...and these are the potential #7 and #8 seeds. Goes to show that anything can happen. Nevertheless, what gives me hope is that even in these tight games we found a way to win, which is why Scott Sutton believes himself to have a very special team, and I agree. I pray we prove him right in South Dakota!

TheEagleman is about 99% certain that ORU will be in the Summit finals on ESPN2....and also about 90% certain that host SDSU will be joining us......I'm not saying there won't be some serious nail biting in the quarters and semis but clearly the two best teams in the regular season should be squaring off in the game to decide the NCAA berth....that rubber match should be a classic.....I make ORU an early 2 point favorite....... ;-)

We will know a lot more about the standings after tonight's games....theEagleman would love to see that IUPUI at NDSU game....should be a dandy..... :nerd:

IUPUI won at NDSU tonight which means we don't have to worry about facing them in round one.....ORU will draw IPFW or UMKC on Saturday March 3 in the opening game....it sure is a relief that we won't draw the Jags...they appear to be honing their game in the late season and will be a 6 or 7 seed.....TheEagleman doesn't envy SDSU or Oakland who are likely to have to play IUPUI now.....and the Grizz also coming on strong after a 33 pt win at UMKC....if ORU gets by the first round game (we will).....our probable 2nd round opponent will be fading NDSU or WIU.....I think things are looking up if we can avoid Oakland and SDSU until the finals and those two teams have a war in the semis....... :nerd:

• Upvote 1