ORU at South Dakota State....

theeagleman5

Big game tonight for ORU at Brookings....do we have a chance?....TheEagleman thinks we might need another 40 from Kevi to hang close.....we need this one if we want any shot at the regular season title and the NIT berth that comes with it.... :sweat:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• r2b1

• dsummitfan

• jfusa90

Watching the game on Jackrabbit TV .... Early SDSU lead cut after about 5-minutes ... see-saw since then. ORU is playing tough defense ... Luper has put up 10 shots and hit 3 for a total of 7-pts. Bigham has 8-points. Game is 20-20 at the under 8-minute media timeout... We're only shooting about 30% with SDSU about 65%. Could be a nail bitter, unless someone "breaks out" with a big run...

Halftime ... 29-26 - SDSU. We shot horribly @ 26%. SDSU Shot 52%. ORU kept in the game with tough defense and a positive turnover rate of 14 to 6 (8-2 on Steals). We can't possibly shoot this bad in two consecutive halfs, can we? ORU looks the better team, but SDSU has that home court magic going for them. Kevi should shoot better than 4-14, and zero point players Pyle, Jones, Allen and Carver are likely to get something going in the 2nd half. Lets hope the "final post" on this game will be that ORU plays according to its normal form, and pulls this game out...

ORU getting hammered by 59-41 with 7 minutes left....Kevi only 4-18 from the floor with 0 pts in the 2nd half.....Bigham has 18......we are shooting under 30% for the game......looks like we will come up short and SDSU puts a hammerlock on the Summit regular season title.... :sweat:

70-51 SDSU wins going away....23 for Bigham....Luper only scores 9.....ugh.....bad loss against a good team..... :-(

Wow! SDSU 70 and ORU 51! There was not much positive about this game! Our very poor shooting (32%), and their very good shooting from 3-point range (10 of 20) and 49% overall. Just an ugly game. We got beat in the 2nd half, 41-25. Luper ends up with no points in the 2nd half and ended the game with only 9-points (and kept on the bench for 10 minutes in the 2nd half – 29-Minutes for the game probably her lowest total-minutes in a long time). Team outrebounded 45 to 27. Jaci Bigham was the one bright spot with 23 points and 9 of 15 shooting and 3 of 4 beyond the arc.

Now, realistically we can run the table the rest of the regular season games, and play the tournament from the number 2-seed … and set up a “rubber-match†between the two top teams in the finals of the Summit Tourney. Maybe we can show SDSU that winning the regular season doesn’t mean that much … It’s that tournament that counts … and we can send SDSU to the NIT.

apparently the post players did not make the trip to south dakota -- pyle, carver, and allen combine to score as many points as Eagleman did tonight. yikes. the good news is that bigham is finding her game. i still have hope that they will play their best basketball in sioux falls.

+1 Alum.....TheEagleman is pretty sure he could score 2 pts in 40 minutes....of course, I would probably croak from exhaution midway thru the first half..... :razz: .....geez....this post is the first one of the day about this game....hard to believe that everybody has just about jumped off the ORU women's basketball bandwagon....the past 8 weeks have really been up and down ever since our torrid start....but let's hope this team will pull together down the stretch....Bigham had a big game last night....but this team just can't compete when Kevi has an off night....I am thinking she will be back on target Saturday for Homecoming at the Mabee Center..... :nerd:

Same story, different game. No post play. We were killed on the boards, SDSU scores 20 in the paint... If we can't develop an inside-outside game, we will live and die by the three point line. Unfortunately, it's been a slow and painful death.

I don't think anyone has jumped off the bandwagon. The wagon's just stuck in a huge rut and can't get moving.

That was pretty ugly minus the pretty. I don't think anyone will miss the travel next year - especially the players.

Only 11 shots even attempted by the posts - WHY? Was their defense so smothering that the guards couldn't get it to the posts? Seems like a lot of the times the post players dribble to the elbow as a transition pass. That's ok - until I can guess exactly what they are going to do when they get the ball in their hands. Jordan is gimpy and only played 15 minutes, Amber only played 8 minutes, and Dom and Detti only shot 6 times combined. What's up with that? Not sure how Detti only got 2 boards in 29 minutes - she has been more aggressive than that. Why doesn't anyone want to rebound? In many cases it is a "want to" thing. Unless we are chucking up 3's and jump-shots before they get back down the court.

It's a good thing Jaci heated up; else that would have been even uglier.

Sad thing is, they have the talent to beat that team. They have to put a complete game plan in place.

Let's look at the big picture and tell it like it is...barring some of the injuries they have had this is the most talented team at ORU in several years, but Fink has sold the opportunity to be successful as a team down the river by designing an offense solely for one player..then he wonders why others don't step up when that player has an off night..when you don't incorporate a post game in your offensive scheme it is not going to produce out of the blue..add to that the fact that we start a post player who only plays a few minutes because she is ineffective and evidently can't get in shape..wonder what message that sends to the rest of the team? Kevi is probably the most talented player to come through the program, but you don't win with just one player. And again, the defensive scheme is horrible and has been for years.

Hummmmm.....time for a new coach?.....as OT would say....Just sayin.....???.......... :!:

We appreciate the talent of Kevi Luper, Jaci Bigham, Georgia Jones, Jordan Pyle, etc. and this is a very likable team that usually has good chemistry, so we really want them to succeed as fans because we appreciate the quality of these players as people as well as athletes. It has been disappointing over the last 2 years that such a talented team has not been able to make the NCAAs.

It is tempting to become frustrated with the coaching staff when it seems that they aren't coaching things the way "I" would. I think it is important to remember that Jordan Pyle is dealing with a back issue right now that is limiting her effectiveness. Perhaps Balla and Carver haven't done enough yet to prove that they deserve to have the offense run through them.

So I think Jerry is stuck with running the offense through his most talented players. However, with Pyle hurt and Jaci still trying to get back to 100% from the ACL tear, Kevi is the player he really trusts. I'm sure Jerry wishes as much as we do that he had a significant post scorer who was healthy that he could run the offense through, but unfortunately he doesn't right now.

The trapping defense that they run is successful against 80% of the teams they play, but it breaks down against the truly athletically gifted/very talented teams that we have played (Arkansas, SDSU, etc.). Remember though that even the SDSU game on the road was a 4-point game with about 9 minutes or so to go in the game.

I think we can make it to the finals of the Summit League tournament. But most likely we will be playing SDSU in the finals just like 2 years ago. We will need a sound game plan if we make the finals in order to beat SDSU, but we have already beaten them once this year. Especially if we can be healthy in that game, I still like our chances.

Okay people lets be real. SDSU shot 49% from the field, and 50% from the 3 ball land. I dont know bout anyone else but when a team, shoots like that ur not usualy gonna win. So theres no point in saying, our offense is built around 1 person, or Finks head needs to be brought on a silver platter. In my personal opinion, everyone should thank Coach Fink. Why you ask, he brought in a stellar recruiting class. If anyone on this forum, could tell me that you could of brought in Luper, or Bigham, then how bought you go ahead

and ill buy the powerball ticket and you pick the numbers. Posts well noone can say we dont feed them enough, reason being how many more games do i have to go watch missed 2 footers?? I mean honestly, sorry but our posts in order to get the ball more you got to hit 2 footers

at least 80% of the time, not a miserable 25%. Sad thing is people wanna get on here, not to mention names r2b1 or jfusa and be negative. You know people, these girls are gifted D1 athletes, who are playing D1 ball, need i remind you. Funny thing is, haha we all are gonna watch win or loose, rain or shine. People need to just cherish the phenom they have in Luper. The amazing passes of Bigham with the attitude to back it up, and grit. Or the 3 ball of Pyle mixed with her post play. Those 3 easily could of went to lets say, TU or Mizzou State, those 2 conferences alone are more prestigious then the summit. Cherish what you have, not rip it down with negativity.

Hummmmm.....time for a new coach?.....as OT would say....Just sayin.....???.......... :!:

That's crazy talk Eagleman. Coach Fink has built up the women's program from nothing when he showed up. Who was the coach before him? Trickey Jr.?

However, i do wish he would switch up his defense a bit more. I think the league has figured it out and the team gives up too many lobs to the back side of the zone for lay-ups. And even when they do get a steal, this year's team can not convert as many into easy buckets. (see the 1st half of the game at SDSU when they had 14 turnovers and still lead at half)

Exactly correct ORUalum. That is my thoughts. In our 2-3 our middle girl needs to play lower, she's playing to high. I also think theres a time to play halfcourt defense, and theres a time to play half court go steal the ball. I understand we are undersized, but lets make up for it with a quick moving shuffling 2-3, and not be over aggressive.

Most of you need to check your egos at the door! These girls some of you are bashing are kids!!! They are 18 and 19 year old kids! They don't get a paycheck to play this game, school is still their #1 priority. Everyone has personal problems that will effect their lives in different ways also. I am not saying that there are any personal problems with any of the girls on the team, I wouldn't know. To expect these girls to play at the top of their game night in and night out is just stupid!

There are more uninformed idiots that post on this forum who have no clue what they are talking about, they have no clue the hard work, time, effort and energy that these girls and coaches put in on a daily basis. They get up in the morning, eat their bowl of "Bran Flakes" (Obviously something extremely high in fiber) go to work, sit at their desk for 8 hours a day and wonder whats for dinner all day long!

For those of you would say "its time for a new coach"....... IDIOT Statement (not calling you an idiot, but saying that was an idiot statement) I will be the first to admit that this team has underachieved this year! But lets see. Bigham = Knee Surgery, Carver = Knee Surgery, Buck = Knee Surgery, Gadde = Knee Surgery, Turner = Knee Surgery, Pyle = Back problems........ Almost half of the team has had surgery this year or this past off season.. There is a healing period that has to take place. When you have the majority of your most important parts on a car go out what happens??? The car probably won't start, if the car does start, it probably isn't going to go very far until you get it fixed!

I will also admit that our post play has lacked this year.... Like I said, Carver Surgery, Balla is a freshman. Had things gone the way coach Finkbeiner had planned, Brittney Eskridge would be suited up this year and playing that post position. Sometimes things happen beyond peoples control that they aren't prepared for!

Anyway, I will end by saying that those of you who continue to get on here and bad mouth these "college kids" and their coaches are a bunch of JACK TARDS.. Try being supportive, try being positive. Lets build this team up, lets stand behind them 100% and lets push them as hard as we can as fans to play with the best of their ability. If they give their best and lose then im willing to bet that coach Finkbeiner can live with that, but for those of you have have "little miss Susie" on the team, you will no doubt continue to blame everyone on the team other than your own, which is ok, if you want to teach your child that excuses are ok!!! The second you do that, you have given them the excuse to not have to play hard anymore

Ok folks let's not tell it like it is with the coaching situation because that is considered negative. Let's just allow him to continue to 'non-coach' and continue to drink his 'coolaid'. I don't see anyone bashing the girls. No wonder this post goes dark routinely...can't state an opinion without being called out as negative.