Recruiting updates?

naumann28

I'm pretty sure that this is the same church/school (the late Mack Timberlake's) where ORU signed 2 big men a number of years ago, but could never get them eligible. Isn't vcboy a Carolina guy? He could probably give some insight.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• ORUalum

• Old Titan

• SOLO_Gold

We have some pretty solid connections in North Carolina recruiting circles these days, thanks to friends of the program who are involved with high school and amateur basketball there - it's how we got in on Jeremy Hazell, Hunter McClintock, Steven Roundtree, Jake Lliteras, and now presumably these guys.

Kyan Brown is out recruiting - he tweeted that he is not with the team in Fort Wayne, so I assume he is recruiting. Maybe he is in North Carolina.

I'm pretty sure that this is the same church/school (the late Mack Timberlake's) where ORU signed 2 big men a number of years ago, but could never get them eligible. Isn't vcboy a Carolina guy? He could probably give some insight.

About 5 years ago or so ORU signed 2 players from John Hagee's church school in San Antonio, TX and I think another player ending up coming from there to ORU as a walk-on. That school is called Cornerstone Christian. I remember that one of the players was Jonathan Dunn, but I don't remember any of the other 2 player's names. I think that only one of those players ended up actually gaining regular playing time and that was for only 1 year as a bench player.

About 5 years ago or so ORU signed 2 players from John Hagee's church school in San Antonio, TX and I think another player ending up coming from there to ORU as a walk-on. That school is called Cornerstone Christian. I remember that one of the players was Jonathan Dunn, but I don't remember any of the other 2 player's names. I think that only one of those players ended up actually gaining regular playing time and that was for only 1 year as a bench player.

It was Clement N'Gom, Jonathan Dunn, and Tim Morton They all 3 signed on the same day.

Clement N'Gom

Southern Nazarene

Junior Season - Played in 30 games averaging 2.2 points and 1.6 rebounds a game.

Sophmore Season - started 19 of 30 games, 4.5 points per game, while grabbing 3.4 rebounds per contest

Virginia Union

Freshman Season - in 20 games, scoring 0.6 points per game and grabbing 1.1 rebounds

Jon Dunn

Northwood University

As a Junior: Tabbed as The Sun Conference Player of the Year and NAIA Division II All-Tournament team member...also named to the First Team All-American...led the team in points per game(23.1),minutes per game(33.3), most field goals made(288), 3-point field goals made(92)...also named to the First Team All-Conference

Owens CC

As a Sophmore: averaged 24 points per game

Northwest Shoals

As Freshman: Didnt Find any stats - one season

ORU

As Freshman: Two games 2ppg

Tim Morton

Oklahoma City University

Current Season: 10ppg, 6.2 RPG

ORU

Sophmore Season: 1.6ppg, 1.7 RPG

Freshman Season: Torn ACL, No Stats

On Tuesday night, Christian Faith (NC) head coach Ro Russell informed TheRecruitScoop.com that his 2013 6-foot-2 point guard Kaza Keane has elected to declassify to the class of 2012.

“Kaza is upclassing to 2012,†said Russell. “He is ahead academically and has more options and looks for 2012.â€

I wouldn't think that a player would declassify to 2012 (speed up the process a year) unless he had already been offered a scholarship by at least one school that he would like to attend. That would lead me to believe that one of the schools currently "on the list" will be the likely choice. Since we have offered, it certainly puts us on the front burner...

OKHoops lists Corbin Byford (signed in November) as the #3 Oklahoma recruit for 2012. They list Phabian Glasco (BTW player) at #7.

OKHoops

Not as connected to prep hoops in the Carolinas like I used to be. CFC, which is in Raleigh, has had good teams on and off. Kids that come from that area are usually very fundamentally sound. I look forward to the good news of a solid signing for the Golden Eagles. Coach Kyan knows his stuff.

Class A recap: Byford leads Comets to Regional Title

February 19, 2012 By Sam Duren Leave a Comment

Despite having one of the best players in Class A last season, the Velma-Alma Comets came up short in their bid to make the state tournament. This year they’re on a mission not to let history repeat itself.

The Comets started the playoffs on fire with a blowout win over Fox in Districts and a double digit victory over Cyril in Area play.

In their area final on Saturday night they faced one of their stiffest test of the season by doing battle with the defending Class A champions, Fort Cobb-Broxton.

Even though ORU signee Corbin Byford got off to a slow start, his teammates didn’t and they built a quick lead in the first frame.

Byford slowly heated up as the game progressed and showed off his versatility in doing it. Anytime he tried to get position down low he was surrounded by Mustangs forcing him to rely on his midrange jumper for much of his 20 points. On defense he routinely swatted shot attempts while also cleaning the glass.

At the half Velma-Alma held a 25-18 lead but OBU signee Gavan Steinmetz lead a furious a charge by aggressively attacking the hoop to start the third quarter. Fort Cobb-Broxton was unable to martian the momentum as the Comets regrouped and took a double digit leading into the fourth quarter. In the final quarter, great free throw shooting by Velma-Alma iced away the game as they won 51-41.

• 2 weeks later...

Branson Daugherty leads Merritt over Velma-Alma

Daugherty scored 15 of his 29 points in the fourth quarter as the Oilers ruined Velma-Alma's perfect season

BY SCOTT WRIGHT Staff Writer swright@opubco.com Oklahoman comment_icon.gif0

Published: March 1, 2012

Velma-Alma's Corbin Byford was the star, but Merritt played the role of spoiler perfectly.

Byford, a 6-foot-7 senior who has signed with Oral Roberts, had 28 points, 10 rebounds and nine blocked shots, but a late 3-pointer by Merritt's Branson Daugherty — his seventh of the day — put the Oilers on top en route to a 52-50 victory in the first round of the Class A boys state basketball tournament at State Fair Arena......

Read more at the Oklahoman

• 3 weeks later...

We have eleven returning (5) /incoming players (6) - which leaves us with two open scholarships to fill this Spring. The Spring signing period begins April 11th. I suspect we are looking for another point guard to work in tandem with DJ Jackson and Mikey Manghum.

Returning Players:

Warren Niles

Mikey Manghum

Jake Lliteras

Steven Roundtree

Daman Bell-Holter

Incoming or Red-Shirt Players

DJ Jackson - 5'11" red shirt pg from Arch Bishop O'Hara HS in Kansas City

Korey Billbury - 6'2" guard from Booker T. Washington in Tulsa

Shawn Glover - 6'7" transfer (Utah) wing from Cedar Hill, TX

Kris Obaseki - 6'9" red shirt forward from Manvel HS in Houston

Corbin Byford - 6'6" forward from Velma-Alma HS in OK

Jorden Kaufman - 6'11" center from Andover HS (Kansas)

Our team is very diverse in terms of locations: eleven players from nine different states/country.

It would SEEM like we will have some depth next year. If so, might want to be 'conservative' with the final 2 schollies and shoot for a BIG TIME recruit...

Do you mean wait to see if we can get a transfer or border line eligible recruit? I think we have to get another point guard - maybe juco if possible.

Although it hasn't been officially announced, it looks like Caleb Tannehill (PG) will occupy one of our schollies.

If that's what you've heard, you're probably right. I'm out of the loop on this one... just assumed because he is at IMG Academy.

He tweeted this today:

RT @CalebTannehill1 Good way to start the day by getting through admissions now I just got to graduate h.s.! instagr.am/p/IhHiePFTTk/

It would SEEM like we will have some depth next year. If so, might want to be 'conservative' with the final 2 schollies and shoot for a BIG TIME recruit...

Would love to see Darian Harris commit to ORU.