ORU vs. South Dakota State

ORUTerry

Man, Bill, I wish you'd left it with your other posts. They made you seem like a pretty sharp guy. This is an ORU message board; we see things through vegas and navy glasses. We're not over on your board complaining about anything - the only posts by ORU fans over there are congratulatory. We post things on here intended for an ORU audience just as you guys post things for an SDSU audience. That doesn't mean that you have to agree with everything we say.

Generally it's easier to be gracious when you win. Not getting that sense from you guys. Out of curiosity, were there a bunch of ORU fans on your board reacting to your posts the day after you lost to ORU? Are there many on your board today, reacting to the things being said about our coaches and players?

I've been on the receiving end of similar fouls before while playing, and I'm embarrassed to admit I've been the offender, also.

Anyone who knows what to look for can see at least four different things in the first clip that ensured the ORU player would not land on his feet:

1. Drove his body THROUGH the back of the ORU player, instead of trying to jump up WITH him.

2. Came down hard on the arm and head, even as the ball is going through the basket.

3. Continued driving through the body to ensure the ORU player could not maintain his grip on the rim, instead of trying to come straight down.

4. Stuck his butt out as the player came down, to make sure he wasn't vertical.

Them, he ducks his head and sprints down the court without a glance, like no one will notice.

Watch higher-level players or NBA players that are sincerely trying to block a shot from behind: they come at an ANGLE and make a play on the ball, not straight from behind over the back.

This is a frustration play by a guy who is mad that he got beat down the floor. If someone did something similar to one of your guys, you would be outraged.

Man, Bill, I wish you'd left it with your other posts. They made you seem like a pretty sharp guy. This is an ORU message board; we see things through vegas and navy glasses. We're not over on your board complaining about anything - the only posts by ORU fans over there are congratulatory. We post things on here intended for an ORU audience just as you guys post things for an SDSU audience. That doesn't mean that you have to agree with everything we say.

Generally it's easier to be gracious when you win. Not getting that sense from you guys. Out of curiosity, were there a bunch of ORU fans on your board reacting to your posts the day after you lost to ORU? Are there many on your board today, reacting to the things being said about our coaches and players?

You're right, sorry I got away with myself there a bit. I enjoy the banter too much sometimes, and am used to ribbing friends who support USD or NDSU. Friendly rivals, if you will.

It has been fun playing ORU the last few years, and I will miss having you guys in the conference. I also hope we play again in SF, that would be an exciting game.

Wasn't a big fan of the Kevin Ford foul from the back as seemed like the guy backed into him a little. The Holdman foul was nothing. Didn't see last nights hard foul but Scott was probably right in that Rod should have just laid it up. SDst is a tough minded type of team and really when you look at their team they have to be. They have a top 3 guy in the conference and mostly role players. Probably get another shot at them in a few weeks so we will see.

Wasn't a big fan of the Kevin Ford foul from the back as seemed like the guy backed into him a little. The Holdman foul was nothing. Didn't see last nights hard foul but Scott was probably right in that Rod should have just laid it up. SDst is a tough minded type of team and really when you look at their team they have to be. They have a top 3 guy in the conference and mostly role players. Probably get another shot at them in a few weeks so we will see.

Certainly don't mind physical play - I've always liked to think of us as a tough-minded team, too. We just didn't bring it last night.

I always get worked up about fouls on players going to the rim. At no time is a player more helpless than when he has left his feet on the way to the rack. To lower the boom on someone in that instance is the ultimate cheap shot.

By the way, did I mention that South Dakota State is really good?

They beat us at our own game: taking care of the ball, taking good shots, and playing good defense.

If they do that again in Sioux Falls, we will need our very best effort to hang with them.

Dakota Hack? Goons? You're better than that OT, I honestly can't remember any flagrant fouls in any NDSU-ORU game, maybe a hard foul or two both ways but nothing out of the ordinary or even remotely chippy.

Does anyone have a clip of last night's dunk attempt by Rod?

Wasn't there a flagrant foul on Rod by Oakland in our game at the Mabee Center?

Hey....TheEagleman just says screw SDSU....we mauled them in Tulsa and they returned the favor in Brookings....it's likely we will meet these guys again in Sioux Falls next month and our guys will remember last night.....let's settle it on the court....I think ORU will win....we are the better team....but then again I'm biased.....didn't see the play last night so I won't comment....it's never easy to win on the road without playing your A game....we played horribly last night and got what we deserved...let's hope the guys learn from it and step it up at NDSU tomorrow evening.....if not, it's gonna be a wild ride over the next few weeks....but it's not the end of the world if ORU gets the 2nd seed in the tournament....yeah, we won't get an NCAA at large bid if we don't win the tourney....never thought we would get an at large unless we ran the table in the regular season....but ORU would still finish something like 27-7 and that's good enough for the NIT....but again, this is all speculation....let's just play out the games.....TheEagleman still thinks ORU will win the Summit and get the NCAA bid.....our guys just stunk last night....we were due for a bad night....we should be more worried right now about DBH.....2 pts?....3 rebounds?.....this guy has been a stiff lately....time for DBH to step up and be a man or I'd put his A$$ on the bench and start Roundtree.....come on, Damon.....stop with the Twitter crap and start playing some basketball..... :fubar:

Dakota Hack? Goons? You're better than that OT, I honestly can't remember any flagrant fouls in any NDSU-ORU game, maybe a hard foul or two both ways but nothing out of the ordinary or even remotely chippy.

No, I'm not.

And wasn't it just last year that Scott Sutton was ejected with two technicals at the end of the game after Michael Tviedt hammered Ken Holdman from behind on a breakaway lay-up where no foul was called?

Maybe you missed that game...

No, I'm not.

And wasn't it just last year that Scott Sutton was ejected with two technicals at the end of the game after Michael Tviedt hammered Ken Holdman from behind on a breakaway lay-up where no foul was called?

Maybe you missed that game...

There was nothing wrong with that, outside of bad officiating I guess. Not sure how the terrible refs became NDSU's fault.

Oh boy....sounds like we should have some good trash talking going on tomorrow....wonder if our buddy, John Yorkevich will be in the striped shirt vs NDSU?.....might not be pretty.... :wasntme:

Oh boy....sounds like we should have some good trash talking going on tomorrow....wonder if our buddy, John Yorkevich will be in the striped shirt vs NDSU?.....might not be pretty.... :wasntme:

As sick as it may sound, I've really enjoyed the banter here today. I wish you guys were sticking around the Summit, these games could have (or already have) blossomed into a pretty decent rivalry.

Do you guys think ORU would be open to playing SDSU home/home in alternating years in the future? Obviously both schools try to build a strong non-conference schedule, but if both schools can consistently be top 100 teams it may make sense (I fully understand this is our first year with this kind of RPI).

Thoughts?

Oh yeah....I think it would be great to play some of our Summit rivals like NDSU, SDSU, Oakland once a year...alternating home games....would definitely be a a lot of fun....not sure how the ADs feel about that....but it sure makes a lot of sense.... :nerd:

I can kind of understand how you guys came out flat. That 2nd half in Tulsa you absolutely steamrolled us, in fact I thought we played with a "deer in headlights" look most of the last 10 minutes. While you never want to take a conference foe for granted, things were so easy for them the last ten minutes why wouldn't they have been over confident?

I can kind of understand how you guys came out flat. That 2nd half in Tulsa you absolutely steamrolled us, in fact I thought we played with a "deer in headlights" look most of the last 10 minutes. While you never want to take a conference foe for granted, things were so easy for them the last ten minutes why wouldn't they have been over confident?

I would be surprised if it was a matter of overlooking SDSU, even though we won by a large margin in Tulsa. You guys are in second place, and are traditionally difficult to beat at home. ORU teams have a history of struggles on the road, and while this year's team seemed to have gotten past that, I think It was being on the road, more than anything else, that probably hurt us. From all I can tell, our team and coaches have great respect for the Jackrabbits. I don't think they were expecting a repeat of what happened in Tulsa.

For what it's worth, here's my observations on the game. SDSU played a great game. They pushed us out to the perimeter on our offense, and our guards didn't get the ball down low into our low post much. Not all the fault of DBH and Craion. We were starting to wake up and that one 3 pointer by Niles rolled around the rim 3 times and popped out. Would've been 19-16 SDSU and put more pressure on SDSU. Plus, would've given Niles more confidence on 3's and opened the inside more. Woulda/coulda/shoulda. SDSU took advantage and pushed the lead back up.

On the block, I didn't like it, thought it a little too aggressive and showy for the home crowd. But SDSU guys are not goons. They play hard and they beat us. Better this game than the next time we play. We'll have more incentive and had we won, it would've been harder to win 3 against a good team like them. Advantage ORU.

To our South Dakota State friends that are visiting our board: I'd like to make a final comment on the game Thursday night, or, more specifically, the fallout that has resulted from it. For those that have posted on our board and on yours that have expressed a modicum of understanding and good will toward ORU, I want to express appreciation. You guys exhibit true sportsmanship, You represent your school and your program well. I think you understand what sports is all about.

I have spent quite a bit of time (probably more than I should) over the past two days reading posts on both schools' message boards. Since the game ended Thursday night there have been about 69 posts on the ORU board, quite a few of which have been SDSU fans, many of those challenging comments by ORU fans, and many of the posts by ORU fans have been responses to the remarks of the SDSU fans' comments.

On the SDSU board there have been about 144 posts since the game. Three came from ORU fans, all congratulatory. In the remaining posts I've seen the local newspaper discredited, our players and coaches put down, our founder mocked, our beliefs and campus ridiculed, and condemnation heaped upon our fans and posters for being frustrated by a late foul that left our player on the floor. All of this because of a game? NOT ONE RESPONSE to any of this has been made by an ORU fan. And yet, two days after the game, the negative posting continues. But it was this post that really prompted me to respond to all of this:

"Personally I'll be happy to no longer be associated with the school. I like Sutton, and enjoyed the level of talent they bring to the conference but that school... there is no way anyone can say that academically SDSU, NDSU and USD belong in the same conference as ORU."

Really? I have no idea what this individual bases this statement on. At one point someone on the SDSU board said that ORU fans were in "meltdown" over the foul. I just don't see it that way.

I don't think I'll go over to the South Dakota State message board any more. I probably should have stopped before this.

There's a saying in sports that I do my best to emulate - be humble in victory, and gracious in defeat. To those SDSU fans that share my belief in that philosophy, I want to say thanks for your comments, and I appreciate the sportsmanship you've shown over a couple of unnecessarily tumultuous days.

• Upvote 2