ORU vs. South Dakota State

ORUTerry

Grif did indeed go for the block of a dunk attempt. Yes, it was a hard foul, that turned semi-tragic for Pearson, because Pearson was too intent about slamming it home, rather than assuring he played safely.

Don't go into another school's arena, and try to slam it home when it's a lost cause. Get the basket, and likely the foul, but be more aware of yourself to prevent injury.

About the whole game - Jacks came out with intensity, and played through all the different d's that ORU threw at them. Thankfully, Jacks had seen those all before at Tulsa, and went to different types of offense with each defense. Great ball movement by the Jacks. Likewise, in the 2nd half, Jacks were using the whole shot clock, and then getting O rebounds, and typically scoring. So each 2 or 3 points were burning 45-60 sec of clock by the Jacks. Then ORU would speed down, and try to get a transition bucket, and when that failed, launch a poor shot, had to be demoralizing.

Lots of foul trouble for ORU, and quickly. Jacks seemed to distribute their fouls and only Griffin Callahan ends up with 4 or out with 3 secs left in the game.

Game was never really close, and Jacks were in control the whole game. ORU just never showed up.

But it's OK to come on to ORU's message board and gloat?

Gimme a freaking break.

If I could flagrantly foul you right now for coming on here and dunking, I would.

You SDSU fans are all the same - all talk AFTER the fact.

Tell me, exactly how many ORU fans came on YOUR message board after we clocked you in Tulsa and talked smack?

Zero. Because that's not what we do.

Go away - if we want to talk to you, we'll come on your message board...

Did SDSU dunk in Tulsa? Especially at end of game?

And where's the smack? Please review Sutton's post game comments, I have only echo'ed those.

Go away - if we want to talk to you, we'll come on your message board...

A couple of us did, last night. Congratulating them on a great win.

Absolutely incredible statement. Repeated in probably a dozen or more posts on the SDSU message board.

I think both NDSU and SDSU think it's OK to goon it up because they view basketball through a hockey mindset.

They don't really understand the game of basketball.

I won't really miss playing them.

Did SDSU dunk in Tulsa? Especially at end of game?

And where's the smack? Please review Sutton's post game comments, I have only echo'ed those.

Where did this "rule" come from? Did you guys write it or something? It's been stated on your board about a dozen times in defense of what happened. Truth is, in a big win, ORU puts in a couple walk-ons, who aren't as quick on defense, and it's not unusual to see dunks by opponents in the closing minutes of the game.

I've never seen a "not in our house" move to try to stop it.

Coach Sutton said last night in both the post-game interview and the radio broadcast that he thought it was a clean, hard foul with no malicious intent. That's good enough for me.

I think both NDSU and SDSU think it's OK to goon it up because they view basketball through a hockey mindset.

They don't really understand the game of basketball.

I won't really miss playing them.

This whole "not in our house" thing is so high school, I can't believe it.

So, let me get this straight: if Buffalo comes in there in a couple of weeks with some really athletic guys, it's OK to clock them every time they throw a lob for an alley-oop, or get a breakaway?

Or, what if someone like Michigan State or Kentucky or North Carolina was foolish enough to come to Brookings for a game - they're not allowed to dunk in Frost Arena?

Do they not realize how that kind of attitude makes them sound like a bunch of hicks who are not ready for prime time?

IT'S DIVISION-ONE BASKETBALL. GUYS DUNK. GET USED TO IT.

i think some are being a little tough on our SDSU friends. i'm sure if Wolters got thrown violently to the floor of the mabee center down 20 plus after a break away steal with under a minute left they would be completely understanding. i can hear them now, "what was Naters thinking trying to score on that break away? ORU was just protecting the home court. if his wrist or hip are seriously injured it will be all Naters fault because he had it coming."

This whole "not in our house" thing is so high school, I cant believe it.

So, let me get this straight: if Buffalo comes in there in a couple of weeks with some really athletic guys, it's OK to clock them every time they throw a lob for an alley-oop, or get a breakaway?

Or, what if someone like Michigan State or Kentucky or North Carolina was foolish enough to come to Brookings for a game - they're not allowed to dunk in Frost Arena?

Do they not realize how that kind of attitude makes them sound like a bunch of hicks who are not ready for prime time?

IT'S DIVISION-ONE BASKETBALL - PEOPLE DUNK. GET USED TO IT.

I hope you don't choke on those sour grapes,Old Whiner.

Did you watch the play? It was a just a hard foul. I have NO problem if Pearson wants to play to the final horn and try to throw one down, but our players aren't gonna just wave as he goes by.

iT'S DIVISION ONE BASKETBALL-PEOPLE PLAY PLAY PHYSICAL (OTHER THAN ORU) GET USED TO IT.

I hope you don't choke on those sour grapes,Old Whiner.

Did you watch the play? It was a just a hard foul. I have NO problem if Pearson wants to play to the final horn and try to throw one down, but our players aren't gonna just wave as he goes by.

iT'S DIVISION ONE BASKETBALL-PEOPLE PLAY PLAY PHYSICAL (OTHER THAN ORU) GET USED TO IT.

There is a difference between playing physical and playing like a goon.

There is a difference between playing physical and playing like a goon.

If you think he was acting like a goon,than you didn't watch the play.

You know, I didn't see it, but Coach Sutton did, and he wasn't blaming Callahan or whoever for playing dirty. I'm sure he wasn't. It was just a hard foul. Happens at Mabee Center sometimes, and because we know the players we feel certain that there was no malicious intent.

I think the thing frustrating ORU fans is the defense of what happened by SDSU folk. The "not in our house" attitude about it makes it SOUND like it was intentional.

Getting back to my original point, I just find it very curious that:

1. This is not a one-time deal; it's happened before, and over several seasons.

2. It doesn't happen at places like Oakland and IUPUI, despite the fact those games are always hotly-contested, physical, and meaningful.

3. SDSU and NDSU seem to be able to control their emotions on the road; it's only at their respective homes that these "heat of the moment" incidents seem to occur.

I think it says something that schools like ORU, Oakland, and IUPUI, who have for years played big-time schedules against big-time teams, don't have these kind of flare-ups.

It has nothing to do with "playing physical", it has everything to do with being acclimated to the nuances of college basketball at the highest level.

Here's hoping that some day the Dakota schools and their fans will learn what that means.

You know, I didn't see it, but Coach Sutton did, and he wasn't blaming Callahan or whoever for playing dirty. I'm sure he wasn't. It was just a hard foul. Happens at Mabee Center sometimes, and because we know the players we feel certain that there was no malicious intent.

I think the thing frustrating ORU fans is the defense of what happened by SDSU folk. The "not in our house" attitude about it makes it SOUND like it was intentional.

I agree. We had some posts on our board that made it sound like our team should go after a player that wanted to throw one down. Not true,and that's not what happened last night. It was a hard foul,the officials called a flagrant because of the result. BTW, they were some of the best officials i've seen at Frost. It was a bad way to end the game.I hope Pearson is ok.

Last night was a great game played by two very good teams.....it's a shame you guys are leaving the conference, but I do get wanting to be in a conference that has more of a regional feel. As for the play in question, it was just a hard foul. Whenever you have two guys barreling down the court and making a play above the rim chances are that the end result won't be pretty.....hopefully Pearson is ok by the way.

So why would Griff even challenge that play you ask? There are two main reasons, first it is pretty obvious who is the more physically gifted team. If you play tentative and let them use their athleticism then the end result is going to get pretty ugly as it did in Tulsa. Secondly, odds are that there will be another meeting yet this season and you still have to show that nothing will come easy. I know you guys think he "gooned" it up so I won't try to change your mind as it will be a pointless effort, but you really aren't judging our players intent based on what SDSU fans are typing on your message board are you?

Good luck the rest of the season, I would love it if both of us could find our way into the big dance, but I don't believe the powers that be will let that happen, not when there is a 9th team from the Big Ten that needs to be added!!

Getting back to my original point, I just find it very curious that:

1. This is not a one-time deal; it's happened before, and over several seasons.

2. It doesn't happen at places like Oakland and IUPUI, despite the fact those games are always hotly-contested, physical, and meaningful.

3. SDSU and NDSU seem to be able to control their emotions on the road; it's only at their respective homes that these "heat of the moment" incidents seem to occur.

I think it says something that schools like ORU, Oakland, and IUPUI, who have for years played big-time schedules against big-time teams, don't have these kind of flare-ups.

It has nothing to do with "playing physical", it has everything to do with being acclimated to the nuances of college basketball at the highest level.

Here's hoping that some day the Dakota schools and their fans will learn what that means.

When has anything like this happened at SDSU before?

Last night was a great game played by two very good teams.....it's a shame you guys are leaving the conference, but I do get wanting to be in a conference that has more of a regional feel. As for the play in question, it was just a hard foul. Whenever you have two guys barreling down the court and making a play above the rim chances are that the end result won't be pretty.....hopefully Pearson is ok by the way.

So why would Griff even challenge that play you ask? There are two main reasons, first it is pretty obvious who is the more physically gifted team. If you play tentative and let them use their athleticism then the end result is going to get pretty ugly as it did in Tulsa. Secondly, odds are that there will be another meeting yet this season and you still have to show that nothing will come easy. I know you guys think he "gooned" it up so I won't try to change your mind as it will be a pointless effort, but you really aren't judging our players intent based on what SDSU fans are typing on your message board are you?

Good luck the rest of the season, I would love it if both of us could find our way into the big dance, but I don't believe the powers that be will let that happen, not when there is a 9th team from the Big Ten that needs to be added!!

Thanks, NebraskaJack. That was a great post. To be honest, in my mind I HAD questioned why he would even challenge that shot at that point, with only seconds left in the game and a big lead. While I still question the wisdom, I think your explanation makes sense.

I agree with this post.

The intent of my original post wasn't to gloat or smack talk, it was to try to provide some insight to those who labeled it a dirty play without having seen it.

It was a hard foul. Grif went essentially straight up between Pearson and the basket. Unfortunately, Pearson wasn't ready for any challenge and got knocked down as each player swept through their motion. If Pearson had been more aware of his surroundings, and that he was going to be challenged, he would have probably been prepared, and reacted without crashing.

Dunking will occur. Frost, Mabee, Bison Sports Arena, O-rena, etc. Most times, there will be a challenge to the dunk. When challenged, each player is responsible for their own safety. Part of the reason why swinging elbows, and facial scrapes can now be called a flagrant foul.