Richard Roberts Arrested On DUI

Old Titan

i guess he has the right to call himself "President Emeritus."

"On Monday, regents voted unanimously to name Richard Roberts president emeritus to honor his work during 15 years as president, Pearsons said."

Tulsa World

thank you former board of regents. not only did you stand by and watch/aid Richard take ORU to the brink of closing, but you gave him a title on the way out the door.

ORU needs to remove this honorary title immediately.

The Trustees are meeting over the next three days - beginning this evening in regularly scheduled Board meetings.

Bet I know what they'll be talking about . . .

I think a public announcement ASAP from the trustees removing the "President Emeritus" title from RR would be an EXCELLENT way to deal with this latest embarrassment.

It's obvious RR does not have ORU's best interest at heart.

I would be willing to bet that many of you, like me, do not drink in public places, or even ENTER a bar, while wearing ORU gear. We simply have too much respect for the institution to risk a spectacle in front of those who might pass judgement on the school and what it stands for.

Well, RR has his FREAKING SURNAME ON THE ENTRANCE TO THE SCHOOL, he is recognized by EVERYONE in the WORLD as a symbol of Oral Roberts the man, yet he still chose to drink in excess somewhere (where I must assume he was not alone), get behind the wheel of a car, then drive down a public road at ridiculous speeds.

He humiliated himself, the school, and all his father stood for, in the most public way imaginable. If that doesn't warrant ripping his honorary title, I don't know what does...

• Upvote 2

This is sad news indeed. Not only for the University which should be removed from this, but also RR and his family. The comment on changing the school name is not a good idea. It will hurt a lot of graduates. A diploma from a school that’s name no longer exists – cheapens the students credentials. It also could affect accreditation.

I think a public announcement ASAP from the trustees removing the "President Emeritus" title from RR would be an EXCELLENT way to deal with this latest embarrassment.

It's obvious RR does not have ORU's best interest at heart.

I would be willing to bet that many of you, like me, do not drink in public places, or even ENTER a bar, while wearing ORU gear. We simply have too much respect for the institution to risk a spectacle in front of those who might pass judgement on the school and what it stands for.

Well, RR has his FREAKING SURNAME ON THE ENTRANCE TO THE SCHOOL, he is recognized by EVERYONE in the WORLD as a symbol of Oral Roberts the man, yet he still chose to drink in excess somewhere (where I must assume he was not alone), get behind the wheel of a car, then drive down a public road at ridiculous speeds.

He humiliated himself, the school, and all his father stood for, in the most public way imaginable. If that doesn't warrant ripping his honorary title, I don't know what does...

Very well said, OT. :clap:

TheEagleman is NOT in favor of changing the name of the school....as previously stated....it's not Oral who has shamed the University....OR was a Godly and honorable man....and TheEagleman is also not one to throw stones because of the many mistakes that I have made in my life....however, DUI is a serious lapse in judgment....can't happen to a man of the cloth....but it does....and who can forget Ken Trickey?....but yeah, it's time to break all ties with RR and LR......they probably should have gone to jail for the $$$ they stole from the school funds over the years...now this....it's very sad....OR and ER would be very ashamed of their son.....but I can't say that this is a shock.....RR's behavior has been dubious for he last 40+ yrs.....I witnessed it while at ORU back in the day....bye bye..... :n:

What's next?....Lindsay arrested for shoplifting at Chicos?...... :razz:

To be sympathetic, Oral would have turned 94 today. No telling what grief, memories, or dishonor that Richard feels on this

particular day. In all accounts they were very close. But yes a disgrace to University and all associated with it.

Director of Public Relations Jeremy Burton said ORU considers it more accurate to refer to Roberts as its former president.

President emeritus “was a title that was given by the exiting board of regents right as we were transitioning to our new board of trustees,†he said, adding that it is “maybe incongruent to how we refer to him.â€

Is that really the best we can do? Incongruent? Really? Maybe we deserve what we get.

Roberts has remained chairman and CEO of the Oral Roberts Evangelical Association, the ministerial wing of the university that was financially separated from the institution after his resignation.

I thought it was completely separated. If this is an error, ORU needs to correct it. If this is true, some more separating needs to occur.

http://newsok.com/article/3643253

TheEagleman agrees that ORU needs to get some info out there and do it fast...this thing is obviously all over the internet and I can only imagine how bad things are in Tulsa.....so, RR was tooling around at 2:30am in his Mercedes at 93 MPH in a 65 zone....real smart there....seems he blew a .11 which isn't horrendous but an indication that he must have had at least several cocktails.....I wonder where RR hangs out after he finishes taping the hour of healing?.....it's all very sad....LR must have whipped him around the house when he got home.....wonder if she was the one who showed up with the $1100 check to bail him out.....wonder if that money comes out of the donations made by the 85 yr old ladies who watch his show.....and I'm not buying the story that he was distraught over his dad's birthday.....TheEagleman sorely misses his dad but I don't go out and get sloshed on November 2nd every year.....this is pathetic.....he could have killed some innocent people going 93 while drunk....time for Dr. Rutland or someone to come out and cut all ties with this clown.... :puke:

In my early twenties, i'm not proud to say that i drove home impared or got in the car with someone impared on a weekend night occasionaly. But for a 63 year old man to do that on monday night while driving 30 miles over the speed limit is a cry for help from a depressed man or an act of hubris. Hopefully he gets some help.

You are probably right, Alum....this is a desperate cry for help.....and when I really think about it...it's totally unfair of me to knock the poor guy.......TheEagleman would probably need more than a few cocktails if I had to go home to LR every night..... :drunk: .

He wasn't going home - he was caught speeding going east on the Creek and stooped going north (at 71st) on US 169.

It will be interesting to see whether he is contrite and takes FULL accountability for this. Or, if he denies/gives excuses or blames Satan...?

Anybody know what RR might have been doing out well past midnight without his lovely wife?.....we must have some spies out there?....hard to believe Bogus wasn't at the other end of the bar...... :razz: .....and he doesn't have enough money to call a cab?..... :fubar: ....

Anybody know what RR might have been doing out well past midnight without his lovely wife?.....we must have some spies out there?....hard to believe Bogus wasn't at the other end of the bar...... :razz: .....and he doesn't have enough money to call a cab?..... :fubar: ....

Yeah, my being at the other end of the bar pretty much depicts me!! :drunk::blink::party::-D

Interestingly, someone that I talked to tonight at the game that has worked closely with RR and LR in the recent past for many years was extremely surprised by this week's events. They stated that they NEVER saw RR driink in all of the years that they had been around the family and was taken aback by the arrest. I just hope that he takes the responsibility and accountability that is needed and make the best of a bad decision.