Richard Roberts Arrested On DUI

Old Titan

This is just great - ORU will finally get the front page of the Tulsa World on Tuesday, but for nothing at all attributable to the school.

Former ORU President Richard Roberts Arrested on DUI Compaint (Tulsa World)

I'm sorry if I sound insensitive, but for crying out loud: with all the positive stuff going on right now around the school in general, and the athletic program specifically, now we have to deal with this?

The groundbreaking for the new Student Center is this week - how is that going to play in the media, fighting for airtime with Richard's stupid mug shot?

Can we fire him again??

This is just great - ORU will finally get the front page of the Tulsa World on Tuesday, but for nothing at all attributable to the school.

Former ORU President Richard Roberts Arrested on DUI Compaint (Tulsa World)

I'm sorry if I sound insensitive, but for crying out loud: with all the positive stuff going on right now around the school in general, and the athletic program specifically, now we have to deal with this?

The groundbreaking for the new Student Center is this week - how is that going to play in the media, fighting for airtime with Richard's stupid mug shot?

Can we fire him again??

The embarrassment from this extends far beyond the Roberts family. It's really too bad. KRMG (krmg.com) has the police report up, but nothing on it that isn't already being reported.

There is no way to know what is going on personally in his life that eventually led him to this extremely poor decision, but for ORU's purposes I am so thankful that he is 5 years removed from being the President of the University. Nationally this may reflect poorly on ORU because he is associated with ORU, but locally and regionally I don't think the hit will be that significant because it is clear that ORU has been disassociated with him for 5 years.

I believe that technically Richard is still in charge of "Oral Roberts Evangelistic Association", but for the most part that only matters to those who are viewers of his television program. I don't know if this will affect his ability to broadcast his TV show on KGEB (ORU's TV station) in the future or not.

Unfortunately it is the type of story that will have legs for awhile. Every time he has a court appearance or a hearing there will be an article and a TV news story about it.

I will choose to believe that the positive momentum that ORU has right now with the dedication of the new building and the success of the basketball teams will overcome the negativity that this story will generate and may serve as a contrast reminding people what the "New ORU" is all about.

FOX-23 has a story on their website with the lead paragraph reading: "ORU President Emeritus Richard Roberts arrested for drunk driving", or something to that effect. No mention at all of ORU's disassociation with RR since 2007.

Let's hope two things turn out to be true:

1. Nobody reads the FOX-23 website.

2. Those who do, know the meaning of "emeritus".

An article on KOTV.com (and CNN) says that:

"According to the Oral Roberts Evangelistic Association web site he is now President Emeritus of the Tulsa school, but the university disputes that."

So the Emeritus tag is no longer applicable. Not that this changes the situation all that much.

An article on KOTV.com (and CNN) says that:

"According to the Oral Roberts Evangelistic Association web site he is now President Emeritus of the Tulsa school, but the university disputes that."

So the Emeritus tag is no longer applicable. Not that this changes the situation all that much.

Yeah, well we need to shout LOUDLY that he is not affiliated with ORU.

Time for some Old Testament justice. Tell me again, what they did back then to false teachers/false prophets...

yet another reason why the school should have been renamed when the Greens took over.

on a personal level I hope RR finds the help he obviously needs.

I think ORU missed a great opportunity over the past several years to make a clean break from the old guard. A lot of changes occurred (some good, some not so good), but there was never a PR campaign to really take advantage of the changes. Rutland needs to get out there today and state in no uncertain terms that RR has absolutely nothing to do with ORU anymore and has not for several years.

1. The school should be renamed.

2. This is the current administration's fault. They continue to let this clown air his "show" on the University's network. That gives him legitimgicy and dillutes the brand.

1. The school should be renamed.

2. This is the current administration's fault. They continue to let this clown air his "show" on the University's network. That gives him legitimgicy and dillutes the brand.

Yep.

the rebranding as the "New ORU" did not go far enough.

the school could still retain some of the founders principles, but it is time to change the name of the school and completely break any lingering ties to the Roberts name.

What's done is done, but I think it would be in the best interest of the school (and a lot of good people who have toiled mightily in the last five years to save ORU from RR's original scandal) to get out in front on this story to remind EVERYONE that ORU has nothing to do with RR anymore.

I don't think changing the name of the school is a good idea - Oral is not the one who embezzled funds and drove drunk. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I read a small portion of the 'statement' from ORU spokesman on the KRMG story.

In my opionion, it is WAY too weak. Drunk driving is SERIOUS. He could have killed someone.

This is an(other) opportunity to make a clean break from Richard Roberts. I agree with others that the administration needs to act forcefully in communicating that Richard is not longer associated with the school in any way. This needs to be done loudly and publicly.

We can be merciful towards Richard - but there are consequences for his actions.

And for goodness sakes, please pull his show from the network. Surely there is a 'morals' clause in the contract.

We need a total break from RR, but I am not in favor of changing the name. It would not change the mind of the haters and would actually give them a "See, I told you so" moment. Oral (warts and all) is ORU and that cannot be changed. Richard is not ORU and never should have been President. It was a mistake. ORU should sever all ties with RR loudly and publicly. The prayer and grace line that was the entire statement could still have remained as the final sentence.

ORU has wasted and continues to waste PR opportunities. With the right response, we could turn this around for positive (and free) publicity for ORU.

The Trustees are meeting over the next three days - beginning this evening in regularly scheduled Board meetings.