ORU Edges Western Illinois in Double Overtime (Tulsa World 1/13/12)

Old Titan

Tree, DBH, Jake, DoMo...all made CLUTCH free throws late in the game and in OT!

Every time we went to the line, money! Plus, in our 88% FT percentage, that is with DoMo intentionally missing his final attempt.

We briefly discussed in the chat room last night whether Domo should have made or missed that freethrow. I think that since WI had a timeout, you go ahead and try to make it. I realize it has no impact on a 3 pointer (the only likely shot with 1 second remaining), but it gives you the 2 point cushion in case the refs call a non-shooting foul on you in that situation. I don't remember the game (IUPUI or Oakland?) but I'm sure most remember when we got call for the foul for busting through a pick on the inbounds play at the end of game. It's nice to be up 2 if the other team gets to shoot FTs.

I like the play, for this reason - making the FT allows a stoppage of play, a time out to discuss the final play, and then the opportunity to make an inbound play like Rod-to-DBH last year, or worse, a trey for the win.

While WIU still got the time-out, the loss of several tenths of seconds in the process benefited us greatly, and it was possible that they may have not gotten it called at all, if luck had gone our way a bit.

While a foul on the rebound or inbound was certainly a possibility, I'd hope our players would be smarter than that.

That's my take. I like the call.

I can see it both ways.....TheEagleman would probably prefer to make the shot and take my chances....imagine how Sutton would have been second guessed had we lost on a buzzer beating 2 pointer in the 2nd OT....I can just imagine....what happened on the missed layup at the end of regulation?....sounds like Pearson made a tremendous hustle play to keep the game alive..... :clap:

I like the play, for this reason - making the FT allows a stoppage of play, a time out to discuss the final play, and then the opportunity to make an inbound play like Rod-to-DBH last year, or worse, a trey for the win.

While WIU still got the time-out, the loss of several tenths of seconds in the process benefited us greatly, and it was possible that they may have not gotten it called at all, if luck had gone our way a bit.

While a foul on the rebound or inbound was certainly a possibility, I'd hope our players would be smarter than that.

That's my take. I like the call.

Making the second free throw would mean they could have run the baseline to inbound the ball. In that case, they could have tried the infamous "flop" play like Greg Kampe pulled on us at Oakland a few years back.

Missing the free throw means they had to call a timeout and inbound from a stationary spot on the baseline. Steven Roundtree provided such an effective barrier that they ending up chucking the ball out of bounds just to get it over him.

Making the second free throw would mean they could have run the baseline to inbound the ball. In that case, they could have tried the infamous "flop" play like Greg Kampe pulled on us at Oakland a few years back.

Missing the free throw means they had to call a timeout and inbound from a stationary spot on the baseline. Steven Roundtree provided such an effective barrier that they ending up chucking the ball out of bounds just to get it over him.

Another excellent reason to miss. I didn't think about the running the baseline angle, but you're absolutely right - if they do call a TO they lose mobility along the baseline. Great point, OT.