Men's Basketball profile: Oral Roberts

ORUalum

Mike Brown has an update on Jackson and Billbury...LINK

Jackson is practicing now and Billbury is still on scholarship but not practicing.

So what does this mean for their eligibility? Next year are they freshman (with the possibility to still redshirt)? Or is this their freshman year that they are now redshirting?

I think they are using up their red shirt year and will be red shirt freshmen next year.

So both Bilbury and Jackson are both committed to play for ORU next season?....we are going to need the depth at guard.... :sweat:

I'm not so sure they have used up a redshirt year in this process - especially Bilbury, since he will not have even practiced with the team this season. Time will tell. They each have 4 years of playing eligibility left, that much is for sure.

Good point - not sure if they are actually using up their red shirt year or not... especially Billbury. I assume he is not listed because he is technically not part of the squad (can't practice) this year. In the first semester there was still the chance that he could join the team (in practice).

I could be wrong about this, but unless Billbury is paying his own way, I would think that this has to count as a red-shirt year. I don't see it as a good sign that his name is not listed on the roster. I have to assume that he is 1 of the 13 players on scholarship.

That's probably right: if he's on scholarship, it's most likely a redshirt year.

This is kind of a unique situation - typically, kids who do not technically qualify academically right out of high school are not allowed to enroll in the first place, much less stay a year to go to class. But I think this a case where these online classes used to be acceptable, but now aren't, and the kids didn't know that when they took them. They may have even gotten some bad advice from their high schools, but I don't know that to be true.

All I know is that the NCAA ruled in our favor in an appeal for both guys - props to the ORU Athletics compliance folks for making that happen.

All I know is that the NCAA ruled in our favor in an appeal for both guys - props to the ORU Athletics compliance folks for making that happen.

ORU's Athletics Compliance Folks - would that be ORU's "other" brilliant accounting professor - Terry Unruh??

ORU's Athletics Compliance Folks - would that be ORU's "other" brilliant accounting professor - Terry Unruh??

Terry Unruh is our NCAA Faculty Rep, and while he is involved in a lot of ways with academics, it's our Athletics Compliance staff of Ralph Manning and Liz Middleton who deal with the day-to-day challenges of keeping so many student-athletes eligible.

It's complicated, never-ending work, and from what I've seen on the Sports pages over the years, with stories involving academic scandals or ineligible players, it's a job that reminds me of playing offensive line in the NFL: no one notices when you're doing well; they only notice when you screw up.