ORU vs. NDSU

Old Titan

NDSU is a very impressive team. Every player can score. They all move great away from the basket and take advantage of any defensive breakdown. Oh, and they shoot great too.

Some of their offense was a result of our being out of position and playing poor defense, but they also made a lot of plays/shots. Give them credit. Sutton was very complimentary of them in the post game radio show.

They looked like IUPUI out there at times with the isolation plays and dribble drives to the basket.

Our rebounding and their turnovers ( our defense?) was the difference in the game. We shot the ball well, but they shot it better. The difference is we took

more shots/had more possessions.

what i learned on the NDSU message board...

--the Mabee Center scoreboard operator point shaves opponents scores

--the refs did not want ORU to lose because Eddie Sutton was at the game and it was on TV

--the ORU announcers on an ORU broadcast should have been talking up NDSU football

--ORU has horrible fans and they would avg 5,000 every game if they had the Mabee Center

thanks for the laughs Bison fans!!!

• Upvote 1

Maybe the best: "Win or lose, I'm glad the Bison don't have to come back to the hellhole called the Mabee Center again"

I didn't think the Mabee Center had been all that bad for the Bison . . .

Their chief complaint seemed to be officiating, on a night when I thought it was better than average. Lots of stuff missed both ways, but I'd rather see them let the game flow than watch a hundred stops in play. But that's just me . . .

And, I thought TU fans whined a lot about officiating...

Visited Bisonville for a peek and every other comment is whining about the refs.

And, not sure how you can label Mabee a "hell hole"? Nicest arena in the league...by far. Although, the crowd was VERY small last night...due to several circumstances. Most notably, the fact that noone gets excited about playing NDSU. Sorry, not meant as a jab at the Bison, but unless you are a die hard follower of college hoops, the name NDSU doesn't exactly draw out the masses.

I know it doesn't mean all that much, especially at this point in the season, but I see that our RPI has moved up to 58 as of right now. That MAY be the highest (lowest) I can remember ever seeing our RPI. I think we hit the fifties during the Green/Tutt years, but I THINK it was 59. I could be wrong. Anybody know the highest RPI we've hit in the past?

I don't have the history, but this could be the year that we have two teams that are sub-50 rpi at some point in the season and one sub-75. I'm talking about us, SDSU and NDSU. The tournament will be a fiercely contested event, especially given that it is in SD. Tickets may be hard to come by after a certain point.

I know it doesn't mean all that much, especially at this point in the season, but I see that our RPI has moved up to 58 as of right now. That MAY be the highest (lowest) I can remember ever seeing our RPI. I think we hit the fifties during the Green/Tutt years, but I THINK it was 59. I could be wrong. Anybody know the highest RPI we've hit in the past?

The 07-08 team had a final RPI in the 50s. Could have probably finished in the 40s, possibly 30s, if not for the last-second home loss to Creighton in the Bracketbuster.

Ironically, that was the team with Jarvis, Moses, Yemi, etc. that kind of gets lost in between the preceding "Green/Tutt" and current "DoMo" eras.

They are also possibly the only team in the Mid-Con/Summit that I can remember winning the league with no preseason 1st Team all-conference players.

Mabee Center = Hellhole?.....geez.....that seems a bit harsh....from TheEagleman's couch, I didn't think the crowd was very boistrous and also the Summit League officials last night were about as good as it gets....the game was fairly officiated.....Bison fans need to focus more on the 16 turnovers including the 3 key ones in the final 3 minutes....that DoMo strip of Braun was brilliant......I thought it was as good an ORU game as I have watched in several years....well played and lots of excitement....too bad only 2500+ in attendence.....time to fire Mike Minyard?..... ;-):razz:

I think MM worked pretty hard to get THAT many there, Eagleman. My hat's off to him. He's fighting an uphill battle these days.

I know you were just kidding, BTW. Really just intended to give Mike an ata-boy.

Just got home from the game and wow! Our team really stiffened the last 2 minutes and we got the big win. Can

Saturday night be any better. This was the best team and game I've watched yet . They were agressive/ smooth /and played smart basketball.

This is basketball and just to let Tulsa know. One City/ One Team and it is ORU!!! 8) I was way off on my points but still

took ORU and points.

Don't lower yourself to the likes of some of the TU folk.

The Slogan was a great marketing idea for the Footbal team & season. Afterall, there isn't anothe Football team in Tulsa.

But, that said, this again shows the lack of thinking things out fully by those in the marketing business at TU.

In the least, the slogan should have been changed for Basketball.

Don't lower yourself to the likes of some of the TU folk.

The Slogan was a great marketing idea for the Footbal team & season. Afterall, there isn't anothe Football team in Tulsa.

But, that said, this again shows the lack of thinking things out fully by those in the marketing business at TU.

In the least, the slogan should have been changed for Basketball.

BasPlayr, you have been very kind. But I have to be honest... I suspect that the TU athletic department did think things through fully before choosing to use that slogan for both football and basketball.

I agree. The slogan is just blatantly disrespectful. I think it's stupid for either school to use it for basketball. As much as I don't like TU Basketball, their is no reason to lose all civility for the sake of rivalry.

I agree. The slogan is just blatantly disrespectful. I think it's stupid for either school to use it for basketball. As much as I don't like TU Basketball, their is no reason to lose all civility for the sake of rivalry.

If I understand it correctly, Leerfield is responsible for putting together all of the marketing programs that we use. TU just proposes the general "idea" that they want to convey. Since Leerfield took over, they have clearly put most of their efforts toward the Football program. After all, why not? The basketball programs do not draw nearly attention they used to, and Football's fanbase is continuing to grow. So this "theme" is clearly designed to draw attention to the fact that there is only ONE football team in TULSA, and that football team shares the same name as the city.

As a point, the discussions toward expanding the football fanbase in Tulsa has included serious proposals that TU offer the ORU students the same discounted ticket that the TU students enjoy. Why? Are ORU students not citizens of Tulsa while they attend school? Don't many of those students remain in the Tulsa area, and connected to Tulsa after graduation?

It would expand that student support that college football thrives with, and it is a fresh base to use to, hopefully, expand the football fanbase by actually living the "One City, One team" belief. And, there are many loyal ORU fans, that are also football fans. So, why not open your arms to them so that they to can have a local team to support in the fall?

As I said before, the theme makes sense in respect to football, and makes absolutely no sense once Basketball season.

I want to give the benefit of the doubt to the people making decisions at TU, so I want to think that they aren't that immature to deliberately disrespect ORU's proven track record of a reputable, and respected D1 basketball program. (Despite what a few TU fans on a message board would say/believe)

If it was deliberate, it could backfire as many TU fans, especially those with good sense, may be turned off by this. And they desperately need to recover the fans that are turned off of the TU administration over the Basketball situation. Not to mention they need to keep the ones they still have.

BasPlayr, you have been very kind.

I hope you understand that I am not just being kind. I want to make it clear that I try to Live this.

I have absolutely no disrespect for ORU. Either the School, it's Athletics, or it's beliefs.

I also believe that ORU's athletics reflect very positively on the city of Tulsa. Your athletics bring as much, if not more attention to the Tulsa community as any of TU's. In fact, having two respected athletic programs in Tulsa doubles the amount of attention to just how great a community Tulsa is. It cannot do anything but help Tulsa grow.

Those TU fans that you see disrespecting ORU, for as smart and superior that they think they are, aren't smart enough to see the bigger picture. TU and ORU are both great ambassadors for Tulsa. Showing disrespect only hurts their own credibility.

• Upvote 1

Wow! I think my tiny Grinch-like heart towards TU hoops just grew 3 sizes. Well said, Bas.

• Upvote 1