Ron Hunter’s energetic style sparks turnaround at Georgia State

ORUalum

(excerpt)

Ron Hunter’s energetic style sparks turnaround at Georgia State

By Jeff Eisenberg

The first time Ron Hunter detected that his attempt to instill a new culture at struggling Georgia State had done some good, the Panthers were on their way back from a road trip in November.

Much to the first-year coach's surprise, he saw nothing but smiles when he glanced over his shoulder at his players seated behind him.

"They're enjoying college basketball and I could see it in their faces," Hunter said. "That's when I knew the culture was changing because you've got to understand, my first three months, man, I thought I was working at a morgue. Everyone was down, everyone was depressed, nobody smiled. Now all my jokes are funny."

It's easy for Hunter to coax smiles out of his players these days since Georgia State is in the midst of an unlikely turnaround. A Panthers program that hadn't come close to achieving a winning season since joining the Colonial Athletic Association in 2005 has now reeled off 10 consecutive victories entering a Wednesday night's measuring stick game at surging VCU.

Georgia St. 55 VCU 53....nice road victory for Hunter's boys who now have won 11 in a row....think he misses IUPUI?..... :?: