BracketBuster Home Game

oruvoice

Northern Iowa (projected BB opponent) got pounded tonight by Missouri State. Wichita State lost to Drake in the 3rd OT.

Nevada wins a close one (65 to 63) at LaTech.

Live-RPI as of tonight (I think I got all the top teams)

Home

Creighton - 15

Murray State - 32

Iona - 48

ORU -51

Cleveland St - 55

SDSU -64

Davidson - 69

AWAY

St Mary's - 20

WSU - 30

LBSU - 34

Northern Iowa - 57

Akron - 59

Nevada - 60

I think we will get either Nevada or Long Beach State. They will send Northern Iowa to play Iona. Can't believe they will send Nevada or LBSU across 3 time zones.

I think we will get either Nevada or Long Beach State. They will send Northern Iowa to play Iona. Can't believe they will send Nevada or LBSU across 3 time zones.

It's either UNI or "the Beach" for us, and I expect it will be the 49ers. Nevada will probably have the "benefit" of an all-expenses paid trip to Brookings.

ESPN's top goal will be giving Murray State a loss. If they choose St Mary's for Murray St, ORU will likely get WSU. In reading the MVC fan site this is the scenario they think will happen. That would be great news for ticket sales. An ORU/WSU match up might sell out.

Final 2012 Sears ESPN Bracket Buster projections

Creighton (RPI 15):

The Bluejays would love to get the top rated road team in St. Mary’s (RPI 20), but things are complicated by Murray State’s (RPI 32) undefeated season. The argument that we’ve made was that a Wichita State-Murray State game would allow for two marquee games, so the question we have to answer now is how the Shockers loss to Drake last night impacts potential Bracket Buster games. It’s my gut feeling that St. Mary’s win at BYU last night coupled with the WSU loss makes the St. Mary’s-Creighton game less than likely. There are really only two options – St. Mary’s or Long Beach State. I’ll slot Long Beach State (RPI 33) as Creighton’s opponent, based solely on a hunch that ESPN wants to see Murray State lose on their network and they think St. Mary’s provides the best chance of that occurring.

Wichita State (RPI 30):

The argument for the Shockers to play Murray State was made much more difficult by the 3 OT loss to Drake on Saturday night. If it’s not the Racers, I’d like to see Wichita State head to Oral Roberts (RPI 50) to test the Summit leader who is currently unbeaten in conference play.

Northern Iowa (RPI 57):

Based on RPI alone, the Panthers should be in one of the premier games during Bracket Buster weekend, but no one has slid further down the RPI than UNI since we first started making projections. UNI held an RPI of 6 on Dec 13, 2011. I’d like to see UNI draw Cleveland State – the current Horizon league leader. If I had to guess, however, a matchup with South Dakota State seems more likely.

I understand these are just predictions, but if his predictions came true, we would have at least 4 Summit League vs. Missouri Valley matchups.

ORU - Wichita State

SDSU - Northern Iowa

Bradley - Western Illinois

S. Illinois - UMKC

He also said that another possible matchup would be:

Illinois St. - Oakland

Wouldn't it be cool to go head to head in 5 or more games vs. the Missouri Valley. We have good enough teams that we could win several of those matchups. Those would each be interesting matchups. I would guess that no one wants to be matched up with Oakland right now. They are certainly playing better than their RPI would indicate.

Wichita State, Long Beach State, Northern Iowa, or Nevada are all fine with me.

I just don't care to draw Akron - no sex appeal with that match-up at all.

In the big picture, there does appear to be something of a "Summit League - Missouri Valley Challenge" brewing, if the chips all fall the right way.

VERY interesting to see how the league would hold up in those games - could be a watershed weekend for the Summit League if we could all pull off 4-5 wins against The Valley.

What time are the games announced tomorrow?.....WSU at ORU would be a classic and a sure sellout....but TheEagleman thinks it's more likely that we play Nevada, UNI or LBSU......any of those three would be outstanding matchups but not sure if any of them are "sexy" enough for a sellout....Nevada, maybe...... :nerd:

3-point shot: BracketBusters tonight

By Andy Katz

1. The BracketBusters pairings will be unveiled at 6:30 p.m. ET on ESPNU Monday night. I have no idea what they will be but I’m on the show to discuss the Feb. 17-19 event. I’ve bounced around plenty of pairings and here are my top four: Saint Mary's at Creighton; Long Beach State at Murray State; Wichita State at George Mason; Drexel at Iona; Akron at Loyola (Md.); Nevada at Oral Roberts; Valparaiso at VCU.

My last prediction...till my next one:

We draw either Nevada (my bet) or Long Beach State (long shot) AND we get a late local tip-off (between 8:00-10:00 p.m.) on either Friday or Saturday night, to accommodate West Coast viewers.

There just aren't any highly-ranked hosts west of the Rockies. South Dakota State is the next logical choice, but I just can't see ESPN wanting to devote equipment and personnel to Brookings, SD for a night game in February - they might not get back to Bristol, CT till spring thaw.

So, someone has to host a TV game for the West Coast time slot - bet it's us...

We draw either Nevada (my bet) or Long Beach State (long shot) AND we get a late local tip-off (between 8:00-10:00 p.m.) on either Friday or Saturday night, to accommodate West Coast viewers.

Nothing wrong with that!

It will give our students and season ticket holders more time to get their pregame beverages down! Someone call RR and tell him to bring an extra keg!!!

things should start leaking. the Drake coach tweeted that he "Just received official notification that our road Bracket Buster game will be an ESPN family of networks telecast! Excited for our team!"

There just aren't any highly-ranked hosts west of the Rockies. South Dakota State is the next logical choice, but I just can't see ESPN wanting to devote equipment and personnel to Brookings, SD for a night game in February - they might not get back to Bristol, CT till spring thaw.

So, someone has to host a TV game for the West Coast time slot - bet it's us...

Current temp in Brookings 41 degrees heading for the mid to upper 40s.

things should start leaking. the Drake coach tweeted that he "Just received official notification that our road Bracket Buster game will be an ESPN family of networks telecast! Excited for our team!"

Quick, someone call MM. He will spill the beans!

Current temp in Brookings 41 degrees heading for the mid to upper 40s.

No doubt breaking records over 100 years old.

You know as well as I do that could all change in 24 hours: when you look up "Blue Norther" in the dictionary, it has a picture of South Dakota (under 3 feet of freshly-fallen snow).

No doubt breaking records over 100 years old.

You know as well as I do that could all change in 24 hours: when you look up "Blue Norther" in the dictionary, it has a picture of South Dakota (under 3 feet of freshly-fallen snow).

Today's record high for Brookings is 65 degrees set in 1981