BracketBuster Home Game

oruvoice

The VCU message board that ranks the BracketBuster teams by RPI has been updated, and ORU is sitting pretty at No. 4 among the "Host" teams.

The first five available "Visiting" teams are all either Missouri Valley or Pacific Time Zone teams.

If we win out between now and selection time, and are sitting with a record of 20-4, I'm betting we get one of those five: St. Mary's, Northern Iowa, Wichita State, Nevada, or Indiana State.

And I'm betting we get on either ESPN or ESPN2 at a really good time.

2012 BracketBuster RPI Worksheet (VCU Ram Nation message board0

• 2 weeks later...

We are one week away from the bracketbuster announcement and our potential matchup is becomming clearer to predict. RPI won't fluctuate much now until the 30th (granted, we take care of business at home).

I see us matching up with Long Beach St. (40) or Northern Iowa (42) (as long as they factor RPI over geographical location). Wichita St's RPI (25) seems too far out of reach for us. Creighton (17) or Murray St. (33) look to be WS's contender.

Regardless, I see us playing a <50 RPI team. AND a win over a <50 RPI team could place us in the low 20's and put us in the driver seat for some great at-large banter.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/live-rpi.html

http://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7889

Creighton and Wichita State both in the MVC and won't be playing each other.... same goes for Northern Iowa.

post-3-5116_thumb.jpg

With Iona's loss tonight, we are currently the 3rd ranked "home" team, behind Creighton and Murray State. I agree that LBSU and UNI are the likely candidates for a trip to Tulsa, but a Shocker loss at Drake this weekend could make a regional battle with Wichita and ORU too good to pass up!

this is the last chance to pin a loss on Murray St...they will get WIchita State.

which would draw a better crowd UNI or LBSU?

I think UNI would probably travel with some fans, and there would be interest to the casual fan with them being a Valley team and the Sweet 16 run from 2 years ago.

Personally, if we didn't get Wichita State, I would prefer Long Beach. Of all the remaining teams, they'll be most likely to have the highest RPI at the end of the season, unless UNI makes a serious run through the MVC.

Thanks to those working behind the scenes, depending on the time and it being on ESPN, I think we'll get a huge crowd no matter what.

Joe Lunardi seems to think that we would get Nevada AND that it could be an 'elimination game' of sorts for an at-large bid:

"Nevada (16-3, 5-0 WAC, S-Curve No. 58) at Oral Roberts (18-4, 10-0 Summit, S-Curve No. 52): Neither team can make a legitimate at-large argument without a win over the other. Fundamentally, that's what BracketBusters is supposed to be all about."

Joe Lunardi seems to think that we would get Nevada AND that it could be an 'elimination game' of sorts for an at-large bid:

"Nevada (16-3, 5-0 WAC, S-Curve No. 58) at Oral Roberts (18-4, 10-0 Summit, S-Curve No. 52): Neither team can make a legitimate at-large argument without a win over the other. Fundamentally, that's what BracketBusters is supposed to be all about."

See, here's where me and guys ike Joe Lunardi differ on what BracketBusters is supposed to be about, at least when it comes to the highest-level participants in the televised games:

It's NOT about "eliminating" the loser - it's about VALIDATING the winner.

No matter who wins or loses a game like Nevada-ORU, or St. Mary's-Creighton, or Murray State-Wichita State, BOTH should still be bubble teams if their body of work justifies it.

Otherwise, why are we playing in what he describes as a "little-to-gain-perhaps-everything-to-lose" scenario?

It may eliminate the loser as an at-large candidate because both teams are truly on the bubble, but it shouldn't consign the loser to a terrible seeding. I think we have to separate those two questions. In that sense this is not an all-or-nothing game.

yahoo sports projects the top 5 games...LINK

1. Saint Mary's (19-2, 8-0) at Creighton (18-2, 8-1)

2. Wichita State (17-3, 8-1) at Murray State (20-0, 8-0)

3. Long Beach State (14-6, 7-0) at Iona (15-5, 5-2)

4. Nevada (16-3, 5-0) at George Mason (16-5, 8-1)

5. Northern Iowa (14-7, 4-5) at Oral Roberts (18-4, 10-0)

Why it should happen: If there's a third team in the Valley capable of earning an at-large bid, Northern Iowa is the most likely option. The Panthers have struggled in conference but still boast strong computer numbers thanks to wins over Iowa, Iowa State, Colorado State and Providence. There are a myriad of potential matchups for Northern Iowa, but Oral Roberts seems to make the most sense. The Golden Eagles are a fellow Midwest team with a Top 50 RPI, slim at-large hopes and one of the nation's top scorers in Dominique Morrison.

I agree with the first two match-ups, but I just don't see them sending teams from the West all the way to the East when they don't have to. At least, that's not what they have done before.

I think we will get either Nevada or Long Beach State, while Northern Iowa and Akron will go to Iona and George Mason.

I agree. They normally try to adhere to a somewhat regional approach. Sending West Cast teams all the way across the country would go against what they have done in the past - and probably upset the traveling team. That amount of travel is going to disrupt a team that is in the midst of a conference race.

See, here's where me and guys ike Joe Lunardi differ on what BracketBusters is supposed to be about, at least when it comes to the highest-level participants in the televised games:

It's NOT about "eliminating" the loser - it's about VALIDATING the winner.

No matter who wins or loses a game like Nevada-ORU, or St. Mary's-Creighton, or Murray State-Wichita State, BOTH should still be bubble teams if their body of work justifies it.

Otherwise, why are we playing in what he describes as a "little-to-gain-perhaps-everything-to-lose" scenario?

I don't think you're interpreting that stance in the way Lunardi and others are trying to articulate it.

I interpret that position (and you can substitute any other similar teams for ORU and Nevada) as "ORU and Nevada are very unlikely to have a resume worthy of an at-large bid without the bump that a victory in this event would provide them".

As opposed to "ORU and Nevada are both, as it stands now, worthy at-large candidates. But their at-large chances would be damaged by a loss in this event". Which I gather is how you interpret what Lunardi is saying. And I don't quite get that read from Lunardi or the countless other writers who mimic that opinion.

Now, if you disagree with Lunardi and others about the quality of ORU's resume and their chances for an at-large bid, that's an entirely different discussion.

But be careful not to meld that disagreement into his view of the Bracketbusters event.

I'm not interpreting anything: it's all right there.

In English.

Lunardi would appear to want to use BracketBusters to eliminate teams from at-large consideration if they lose.

I say ANY team with an RPI under 68 at tournament time is bubble-worthy.

...whether they win their BracketBuster game or not.

Comprende'?

Well, I don't think that's at all what he's saying.

Note that "eliminate" is your word, not his, and by using it you are in fact giving your own interpretation of his view of Bracketbusters.

The losing teams are only "eliminated" (if that is what you insist on calling it) because they weren't under serious consideration to begin with.

The victory would be a boost to the winner. Losing the game wouldn't eliminate the loser from contention, because they were never in contention in the first place.

And thus I believe his stance is far more "win-win" than you seem to think.

Now, do I agree with his stance? Not really.

But if you're going to take issue with his opinion, at least view his opinion in the same light that he gave it in.

The RPI and this Bracketbuster game are both fun distractions. But we all know the NCAA selection comittee uses the RPI selectively in regards to small schools... Hello Barry Hinson.

We should hope for a quality opponent and win BUT stay focused on the ulitmate goal of winning the conference tourney in the Frozen Tundraâ„¢.

Well, I don't think that's at all what he's saying. Note that "eliminate" is your word, not his, and by using it you are in fact giving your own interpretation of his view of Bracketbusters. The losing teams are only "eliminated" (if that is what you insist on calling it) because they weren't under serious consideration to begin with. The victory would be a boost to the winner. Losing the game wouldn't eliminate the loser from contention, because they were never in contention in the first place. And thus I believe his stance is far more "win-win" than you seem to think. Now, do I agree with his stance? Not really. But if you're going to take issue with his opinion, at least view his opinion in the same light that he gave it in.

Yeah, that's my bad. I threw the 'elimination' out there. Lunardi probably meant it the other way.

ESPN, on the other hand... I'm sure after 10 years of BB that they don't care either way, now that they appear to be waterboys for the BCS and have no vested interest in the NCAA tourney. They would love to broadcast the game that would knock Murray State from the ranks of the unbeaten.