ORU vs. Oklahoma

ORUTerry

Very poor first half.....TheEagleman is starting to think Scott Sutton to TU isn't such a bad idea.....we are not playing well....and not shooting well at all....DoMo, Tree and Niles a combined 3-14.....Warren is scoreless.....very disappointing effort so far..... :sweat:

not a good night for rod and warren...w/OU down the last couple years, it is disappointing they could not get a win either year.

maybe finals week hangover...

Very sad performance tonight...looks like only DoMo and DBH showed up.....at least TheEagleman got the cover....but it's very bittersweet.....ORU didn't come ready to play....hopefully Sutton can wake these guys up over the weekend and they will pick things up at UALR..... :puke:

Game full of missed opportunities! How about the 2 former ORU recruits (Tyler Neal & CJ Washington) playing crucial roles in this one.

I feel like Warren Niles fooled us all into thinking he wanted to be a great offensive player for ORU.

Oklahoma is a very AVERAGE team. Xavier and Gonzaga will be rough games if we play anything like this.

• Upvote 1

Very Poor performace from ORU. Really sad they can't get up for a game like this. For a veteran ballclub, we stunk it up! My youngest son went to Kruger's camp in Florida. He is a good coach and It was a good hire for Oklahoma. They will be a nice ballclub, but we did not play well. No excuse for this poor showing. :-(

For most of this year we have been shooting 3-pointers fairly well, but unfortunately not tonight. We will have better shooting nights. Hopefully against our next 3 opponents.

The play from Niles and Pearson was not good tonight. Niles needs to be more assertive he let the defender play all over him and he just dribbled with his back to the basket until he passed it away. Really missing holdman right now.

Some general observations from viewing the game in Norman last night. Isbig and I took the bus over ahd got great tickets from OKC Eagle - thanks! We were in courtside seats next to the TV people. Most of the things I say have already been said:

1. Their press and physical play bothered us all night. We only had 12 turnovers but could not get into a flow on offense. Oklahoma players were long and athletic - and they played good defense.

2. We must have missed at least 10-12 gimmes/layups in the game. Same thing that occurred in the Southern Utah game. Make half of those and we are in the ball game.

3. Niles is playing very tenative and not very confident right now. It is now affecting him on the defensive side of the court. Not sure how, but we need him to snap out of it.

4. Pearson played hard but committed some silly fouls and seemed out matched at times. Their guards were tall and physical. Rod needs to stay in the ball game - his loss really hurt us, though I thought Manghum played a decent game.

5. DBH got winded (not in game shape yet) and that affected him on both sides of the court.

6. Morrison could not get open and tried to force things at times. We needed to run more screens for him and for the other guards to get them clear. The guys did not look good running screens (setting or coming off). Our offense had trouble getting shots off and we seemed to settle for off balance shots. Credit their defense.

7. We waited until late in the game to apply a press, but when we did it was fairly effective. Losing Pearson made it difficult to utilize the press. Lliteras was suprisingly effective in the press.

8. It hurts not having Holdman. His speed is disruptive and can create problems for the other team.

Since our guards are missing anyway, I have a new line up proposal.

pg - Craion

Sg - LLteras

sf - Domo

PF - Tree

C - DBH

Sub Mikey in at point. Niles & Pearson apparently haven't joined the team yet. At least they seem to be missing on the court.

DBH played well on O but gave up so many pts on D that he was a wash. He looked tired and frustrated. One thing i have noticed. Sutton is Always on Damen. I wonder why? Every possession he's yelling him. And DBH shows his disillusionment with it. You can see it on his face. I feel bad for him. Coach doesn't give him a break.

Games like these are where you miss Holdman and Bilsbury as they are OU type of athletes. OU has gotten a lot better since last year as far as quality of players. Manghum will be fine in conference.

Niles? who knows.

DBH needs a few games to get in game shape.

Watched Xavier a couple of days ago and they are REALLY good ! Very good pt guard and lots of athletes. Better shoot the ball well in that game.

Can't shoot 1 for 15 from the three point line and beat anyone. Most of them were open looks too.

Great recap Terry, we missed so many easy shots around the basket as you stated. Plus with no 3 point shooting. We make 3 or 4 of those we are in the game. Great to see you and Isbig at the game too, those were some great seats you had! I had to take quite the punishment for sitting in the student section as OU was making their run, but still had a good time.

very good points ORUTerry.

If I'm the rest of the league, my take away is that ORU's guards can not handle pressure. ORU was reduced to Mike Craion and DoMo bringing the ball up the court.

Frustrating game, especially since it took over an hour to drive from OKC to Norman.

Valiant effort by DBH at least, it's painful just to watch him play. It looks like he can't do a whole lot that requires reaching too far away from his body or a lot of jumping. I still think it makes him a liability on defense and rebounding but he had a strong game offensively.

Losing the two freshman PG's was bad, but then losing Holdman made it devastating. Rod plays with a lot of heart, but I don't know if he is capable of defending guards of that level for an entire game by himself. I would think it's extremely difficult to play that position on both ends after tearing an ACL. Just a thought, after the way he fouled out, with 11:00 minutes left on a play when Blair crossed-over a couple of times, and Rod just grabbed him.

I think when Niles said his freshman season that he "wants to average 15 ppg", everyone interpreted that as- he wants to be a good player as a benefit to the team. I wonder now if Warren Niles wanted to score points just for Warren Niles. And I would be ok with that if he hadn't regressed as an offensive player. He used to score from all over the floor, now he's almost exclusively a catch-and-shooter.

Once again, we don't have a whole lot of movement on offense, shown by Mikey's retreating backcourt violation.

I would like to once again express how much hate the block/charge circle in college basketball. Takes away from the defender having to be in position, all that matters is that his feet are outside the circle. Roundtree's overturned charge, which magically turned into a double-foul, was incredible. In a bad way. Other than that, they let 'em play, OU's length had a lot to do with some of those easy misses, same as last year.

We don't need to worry about getting "respect" if we're not even going to be competitve in games like this.

Yep if you could play Holdman and Pearson together it would make a difference.

Got to hit some shots as that makes the game a lot easier.

Niles is the worst starter I've seen in a long time. Try to think of any player that we've had that has been so bad, yet played so many minutes.

Niles is the worst starter I've seen in a long time. Try to think of any player that we've had that has been so bad, yet played so many minutes.

his game has to come around...right? I mean a guy does not just go from scoring 39 in a game as a freshman to 0 pts versus OU two years later. When he becomes a consistent 14-17 pt scorer, and I think he will, ORU will be a lot better team.

Niles is a mystery. His regression doesn't make sense. He doesn't appear to be injured. He has been a significant contributor and our best 3-point shooter over the last 2 years.

I hope that Warren and/or the coaches are able to figure it out. Some extra practice time shooting wouldn't hurt.